Home U.S. Coin Forum

2020 Libertas Americana restrike

13»

Comments

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2020 3:18PM

@DNADave said:

Yes, I have seen tokens with that obverse. The dies were created by John Bolen in the 1860's.

Here are a couple of specimens in my collection:

@Kudbegud said:
    @U1chicago & @cardinal
    The specs between 2015 & 2020 are the same. The basic first check are these specs = Diameter & Weight. That's why I posted this snip from MCM. Every one can do these quick tests. A visual comparison under magnification of a 2015, if you have one, and the Ebay 2020, could show differences that might indicate the Ebay one is fake. I'm not expecting the MCM one to arrive by Saturday. The clue is it hasn't shipped yet.

The hard part is determining between 0.950 and 0.999 fine silver. Does any one have access to an XRF Analyzer ? This could be proof positive of a counterfeit.

I'll be watching this thread to see the reports from others posters to this thread.

Has your MCM 2020 Libertas medal arrived? I had ordered a few of those from MCM as well (via eBay), and more than 2 weeks have passed since that purchase. After three messages to MCM, I finally got a response, saying that the "capsules" were defective, and they are "working to get more capsules" to be able send them out. I asked when they expected the capsules to come in, and did not get an answer on that. How long does it take to get the capsules? Considering MCM said they were "working" to get the capsules, I take that to mean they didn't even have a confirmed order on file to get the capsules as of that time. With the volume of products they're selling, I'd figure they should have plenty of capsules at the ready in a number of diameters.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love MCM, from the past. Sad to hear your experience. That is odd.
    And these $40 Libertas we all (60 or less) got were shipped out super quick with no problems.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@Kudbegud said:
    @U1chicago & @cardinal
    The specs between 2015 & 2020 are the same. The basic first check are these specs = Diameter & Weight. That's why I posted this snip from MCM. Every one can do these quick tests. A visual comparison under magnification of a 2015, if you have one, and the Ebay 2020, could show differences that might indicate the Ebay one is fake. I'm not expecting the MCM one to arrive by Saturday. The clue is it hasn't shipped yet.

The hard part is determining between 0.950 and 0.999 fine silver. Does any one have access to an XRF Analyzer ? This could be proof positive of a counterfeit.

I'll be watching this thread to see the reports from others posters to this thread.

Has your MCM 2020 Libertas medal arrived? I had ordered a few of those from MCM as well (via eBay), and more than 2 weeks have passed since that purchase. After three messages to MCM, I finally got a response, saying that the "capsules" were defective, and they are "working to get more capsules" to be able send them out. I asked when they expected the capsules to come in, and did not get an answer on that. How long does it take to get the capsules? Considering MCM said they were "working" to get the capsules, I take that to mean they didn't even have a confirmed order on file to get the capsules as of that time. With the volume of products they're selling, I'd figure they should have plenty of capsules at the ready in a number of diameters.

Sorry to hear that. I didn’t order any from MCM. My last orders from MCM were a few years ago and were always solid (no more than a few days from order to being shipped). Hopefully this isn’t the new normal and that your order is quickly remedied.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2020 3:24PM

Still waiting for mine. Placed the order almost a month ago. I understand that we are living in "INTERESTING TIMES," but, I'm starting to wonder.

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered one several weeks ago and I’m still waiting also 😕

@Hydrant
    @nk1nk

Orders placed several weeks ago, or almost a month ago, and no updates? Wouldn't MCM place their order for new capsules a month ago already? I just have to wonder where MCM purchases coin capsules. Are there companies in the U.S. that make these, or do they have to wait for a slow boat from China?

edited April 11, 2020 4:41PM

@cardinal said:
    @Hydrant
    @nk1nk

Orders placed several weeks ago, or almost a month ago, and no updates? Wouldn't MCM place their order for new capsules a month ago already? I just have to wonder where MCM purchases coin capsules. Are there companies in the U.S. that make these, or do they have to wait for a slow boat from China?

When I placed the order, the website stated that the product was in stock. I have called MCM. I was told the delay is caused by UPS, etc. And yes, no updates via email.

Is it worth the wait? Because otherwise I would imagine you could cancel.
    It sounds like excuse making from MCM.

@MilesWaits said:

I'm waiting, just to see if the ones being sold by MCM (supposedly coming from the Paris Mint) and the ones that sold out at $39.99 on eBay are the same. That's the only way I know to whether they are the same issue, or two different issues.

@cardinal said:

@MilesWaits said:

I'm waiting, just to see if the ones being sold by MCM (supposedly coming from the Paris Mint) and the ones that sold out at $39.99 on eBay are the same. That's the only way I know to whether they are the same issue, or two different issues.

My thoughts exactly. I would be surprised if they are a Paris Mint issue. At this point I may never know. Whatever.

Ok. I get it. Well, report back when they arrive.

edited April 11, 2020 7:08PM

@MilesWaits said:
    Ok. I get it. Well, report back when they arrive.

Will do.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal
    No I have not received it. Checking the site it only says processed. It seems like they are making excuses and not the truth. The truth would not change from customer to customer. They should have emailed us before we contact them. That would be good customer service.

I ordered March 25th.

This is not encouraging to do further business with MCM.

After just short of 1 month, MCM has sent a SHIPPED email notice

@Kudbegud said:
    After just short of 1 month, MCM has sent a SHIPPED email notice

I ordered them on March 25th as well, and just this morning I got an email saying "MCM has sent you a package!"

Let's see when this gets delivered!

In the email they say estimated 4 days which would be Monday the 27th. My earliest estimate is Tuesday or Wednesday. Informed Delivery will announce when it's Out For Delivery.

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Still nothing here, I’m hopeful now that you guys got shopping notices. I was about to call them the other day but couldn’t find my purchase confirmation email. Hopefully mine ships soon! 🤞🏼

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2020 2:03PM

Got the MCM piece in today, worth the wait. Almost got coin 777..... :#

My first Libertas Americana.....marks are on the capsule.

Their estimate and mine was beaten as I also got mine today. My certificate number is one higher than yours @ 0775. Nice velvet pouch too.

Well, the MCM capsules with the 2020 Libertas Americana medals. I compared them to the $39.99 "silver rounds," and found that all of them (MCM and the 'rounds') were precisely 36.95mm in diameter, and precisely 3.25mm thick at the edge. In terms of weight, there were some variances in both groups, with weights ranging from 31.08 grams to 31.17 grams in each group. Perhaps .09 grams is within the mint's tolerance, as that is just 3 milligrams at the most? On average, for the full run of 5,000 pieces, that's just an extra 7.5 grams of silver.

Since the 2015 1oz silver medals are already 5 years old, I doubt the $39.99 silver rounds were made in 2015, particularly considering that NGC got the contract with the Paris Mint to slab all of the 2015 issues.

• MrScienceMrScience Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had the $39.99 LIbertas medals -- sans certificates of authenticity -- slabbed by our hosts or another TPG? I presume NGC would do so.

I submitted a number of these to PCGS. All of them came back labeled as the 2015 restrikes. The COAs showed that they were the same dimensions and weight as the 2015 issue, and the COAs did NOT state any date of minting.

I also submitted a group that were slabbed by NGC, with labels stating “First Day of Issue,” and also “Minted 2020.” PCGS dropped the “First Day of Issue,” but retained the date 2020 mintage.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popular design

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

Too many restrikes.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

When I saw this I said to my self - "Me Want !" It would fit so well with my other Libertas. 3 (at least) reasons.
    1) A Libertas
    2) Palladium
    3) Graded already

Then reality came crushing down.
    $6,495
    Instantly deflated. Just a tad over my Libertas budget.

To other Libertas Americana fans - Does it tickle your addiction just a little ?

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2020 2:07AM

2004 was the first year of these restrikes correct?
    Kudbegud, over my budget as well.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many of these restrikes were done with the original dies?

The new ones seem to come in different sizes, so my thought was that they can't all be from the original dies.

edited September 10, 2020 10:11AM

@morgansforever said:
    2004 was the first year of these restrikes correct?
    Kudbegud, over my budget as well.

I checked the Population Report page https://pcgs.com/pop/detail/libertas-americana-medals-1781/5943
    Modern Re-Strikes, MS show restrikes starting in 1976 then several more dates.
    Modern Re-Strikes, PR start in 2004 with striking dates all the way to 2020. The last entries being this PF 1 oz Palladium and a 1 oz Ag

I am looking for additional history of these re-strikes and will add links in this post as I find them. Give me some time.

My Google searches have proven lacking in details I was looking for. I think I found a very good, the best so far, history right here on PCGS as a Registry Set. Put on your Lobster Bib 'cuz you're gonna be drooling over this collection.

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/showcase/1571

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2020 3:01PM

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

You can buy my impaired original for not much more! :D

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez! You go boiyyyyyyyy!!! Not to derail, but are you a Stanford Alumnus?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file