Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Hobby Nearly Killed Me

I collect 1978 Topps Baseball cards. Last night, I cracked a new acquisition out of its holder. It was the Orioles Team card, and it was graded PSA MINT 9. I placed it into my binder, and I walked to the garage to put the cutters and screwdriver away. WHAM! I slipped on the step and landed on my right shoulder. I can barely lift my arm today. It is absolutely killing me. Has anyone else ever suffered an injury collecting trading cards and memorabilia?

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I am glad you weren't putting the album away as it sounds like that would have been a less than minty experience once the cards were picked up and put back into the binder.

Here is my story.....

I was 10-11 years old, home alone, around Christmas time. The mailman had just delivered a box, that I knew contained cards, supplies, and other things I had asked for Christmas. I figured, heck, I could open, fish around, and tape it back up and no one would be the wiser. Or so I thought.....

After delicately slicing the tape of the outer box down the middle, the finger I used to open the edge of the box rubbed against the rough cardboard and - bam - paper cut which dribbled blood on the outer flap of the box and then along the inside of the box when I got it opened. As you can imagine, there was no way to clean it as the blood had soaked into the cardboard. Damn paper cut.

Needless to say, I learned a very big lesson that Christmas = don't mess with the Christmas stuff or else it will be a very presentless Christmas.

With that, I will go email my Mom to let her know how much I appreciate her!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

10-11 years old. Those were the days. Thanks for sharing, FL Card Trader.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have actually suffered a blister on my finger before, because of too much mouse usage while surfing Ebay every day.

• Options

It should also be noted that I suffer verbal injuries every day from my wife, due to my overspending on cards.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

I took a piece of slab shrapnel to the eye once when cracking a card out. I now do it inside a plastic bag. Lesson learned.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    It should also be noted that I suffer verbal injuries every day from my wife, due to my overspending on cards.

the verbal injuries are what cut the deepest.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

@flcardtrader said:
    With that, I will go email my Mom to let her know how much I appreciate her!

Hi, Mom!

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 2:17PM

@doubledragon said:
    I have actually suffered a blister on my finger before, because of too much mouse usage while surfing Ebay every day.
    @doubledragon said:

My wife gets a text notification whenever our credit card is used. It’s great for security purposes. Not so great when I make an eBay purchase. My index finger does not even leave the mouse when I hear, “Did you just buy something on eBay?”

• Options

@Huskies11 said:
    I took a piece of slab shrapnel to the eye once when cracking a card out. I now do it inside a plastic bag. Lesson learned.

You need a pair of safety goggles. That would be much easier. Thanks for sharing, Huskies 11.

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

A little old lady was walking down the street dragging two large garbage bags behind her. One of the bags was ripped, and every now and then, a $50 bill fell out onto the footpath. Noticing this, a cop stopped her, and said, "Ma'am, there are $50 bills falling Out of that bag." "Oh, rats! Darn it!" said the little old lady. "I'd better go back and see if I can find them. Thanks for telling me officer.." "Well, now, not so fast," said the cop. "Where did you get all that money? You didn't steal it, did you?" "Oh, no, no", said the old lady. "You see, my yard is right next to the baseball stadium parking lot. On game days, a lot of fans come and pee through a hole in the fence, right into my garden. It used to really annoy me and kills the flowers, you know. Then I thought, 'why not make the most of it?' So, now, on game days, I stand behind the fence by the knot hole, real quiet, with my shears. Every time some guy sticks his dingus through my fence, I surprise him, grab hold of it and say, 'O.K., buddy! Give me $50, or I cut off your johnson!" "Well, that seems only fair," said the cop, laughing. "OK. Good luck! Oh, by the way, what's in the other bag?" "Well, you know", said the little old lady, "not everybody pays."

• Options

Sorry to hear that you were $50 short at such a necessary time, Magic Papa.

• Options

@MikeyP said:

@doubledragon said:
    @doubledragon said:

My wife gets a text notification whenever our credit card is used. It’s great for security purposes. Not so great when I make an eBay purchase. My index finger does not even leave the mouse when I hear, “Did you just buy something on eBay?”

Wives can get text notifications when credit cards are used? No... stop... you're scaring me.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:

Because of this post back in the day, I use the plastic bag when cracking.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Just to be sure: the card is all right, correct?

;)

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 11:45PM

You were just kidding about the wife text message thing, or are you serious? That really does scare me a little. If this starts happening to me, how am I going to outsmart a credit card text?

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:
    Just to be sure: the card is all right, correct?

;)

Ha! Yes, the card is safe and sound. Thanks for asking.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    You were just kidding about the wife text message thing, or are you serious? That really does scare me a little. If this starts happening to me, how am I going to outsmart a credit card text?

No joke. Our credit card is set up that way for security purposes.

• Options

@MikeyP said:

@doubledragon said:

No joke. Our credit card is set up that way for security purposes.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'm going to do everything in my power to stop these credit card text's from happening to me.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

My lower back flares up on occasion and I think I can attribute it, at least to some degree, to moving full 5,000 cont boxes when I had them.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭

before i knew how to crak them i injured my hand and ended up in the emergency room...

why did you crack to put in a binder ?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:
    why did you crack to put in a binder ?

I have no use for 726 baseball cards in PSA holders. I prefer to keep the majority of them in a binder so that I can enjoy them at my leisure. It was an Orioles Team card from 1978. It is now resting happily among friends.

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

When I posted earlier on my 200th card on my '59 BB set, about my wife finding out about my purchases, the credit card notification is the 1st way.
    However, the way around it is to make the purchase when she doesn't have her phone, usually taking a shower, and delete the notification from her phone. She never checks the online statements, so I'm good there.
    Step two is tougher, since she gets a notification from the post office when a package is delivered. We had trouble with our mail carriers delivering to the wrong address, so my wife gets an email whenever a package is delivered. Not a problem if one of her Amazon packages comes at the same time, but if it is just a card purchase she will know! Doubledragon may need a drink after reading this!

• Options

Yes, a drink. Then he and his wife can sit down and negotiate his monthly allowance.

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:

@doubledragon said:

When I posted earlier on my 200th card on my '59 BB set, about my wife finding out about my purchases, the credit card notification is the 1st way.
    However, the way around it is to make the purchase when she doesn't have her phone, usually taking a shower, and delete the notification from her phone. She never checks the online statements, so I'm good there.
    Step two is tougher, since she gets a notification from the post office when a package is delivered. We had trouble with our mail carriers delivering to the wrong address, so my wife gets an email whenever a package is delivered. Not a problem if one of her Amazon packages comes at the same time, but if it is just a card purchase she will know! Doubledragon may need a drink after reading this!

Oh great, now I also have to worry about the post office sending notifications! Help, I'm under heavy fire!

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:

@doubledragon said:

LMAO WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT >!!!

• Options

@MikeyP said:
    I collect 1978 Topps Baseball cards. Last night, I cracked a new acquisition out of its holder. It was the Orioles Team card, and it was graded PSA MINT 9. I placed it into my binder, and I walked to the garage to put the cutters and screwdriver away. WHAM! I slipped on the step and landed on my right shoulder. I can barely lift my arm today. It is absolutely killing me. Has anyone else ever suffered an injury collecting trading cards and memorabilia?

You do know that the binder will most likely not keep the card in MINT PSA 9 condition ...and a PSA 7 or 8 which is probably what you have now, would have done the trick......? To each its own, i spend my money on junk and you can spend your money as you please....

They also have binders for graded cards....

I just cant sleep now , knowing that someone cracked a Mint 9 to put in a binder.....

I find it a little disturbing LMAO :D:D

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@Canes8387899101 said:

@doubledragon said:

Oh great, now I also have to worry about the post office sending notifications! Help, I'm under heavy fire!

Is that the trailer for the new Kung Fu Panda movie? :p

• Options

Sorry to upset your sleep, Lawyer 05. No need to worry about me and my collection. We will be fine.