Coronavirus Effect on Coin Pricing

13»

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020 2:03PM

The Fed just cut rates to zero. QE2

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@ironmanl63 said:
    In the words of the great Mike Ditka "This too shall pass!"

Like gas.

That is one way.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020 2:53PM

I have had some retail sales (good margin items) and auction results on a couple items appear normal if not more than I expected.

The key factor is how many people will this put out of work. I would expect buying to be slowing down as concern mounts.

In terms of gain loss don’t recognize until time of sale. I don’t agree reduce inventory value (cost) because bid went down. A sharp dealer knowing he has only one in room may still price the item cost plus or original retail (thumbing his nose at declining wholesale bids) until sold possibly getting his price or If can’t move forced hit at auction. So real value what you can get selling it at a point in time (unknown).

Coins & Currency
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Does this mean I can re-fi my home loan @ 0%?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020 3:18PM

@btcollects said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

you'd think this might help, but it feels desperate

Desperate to be sure but necessary just the same. The Fed doesn’t have many arrows left in its quiver. Between this and the last corporate tax break not much left besides Hail Mary’s.

FWIW the futures retreated once it was announced.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got some key date and better date PCGS OGH coins ending next week on GC started at $1.00. I'll probably wil get burned.

• cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

@zski123 said:
    To the point of the original post, it looks to me that the market is holding in pretty well under the circumstance. Just looking at auction results over the past few days and you are seeing Vf-Ef Morgans maintaining a significant premium over melt. In fact, the premium spread seems a little higher on Eagles given the price decline in metals.

The bullion and metal content purchases are going to command a premium over spot. Who believes the Fed can unleash $1 Trillion in a buying program and not eventually impact gold/silver. Type coins are a different story I'm afraid.

"Type coins are a different story I'm afraid."

Why will type coins be the hardest hit?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 4 MS65 Morgans and 1 MS63 Eagle last night and all were notably cheaper than typical. But that’s my last splurge for a good while. I do think there are opportunities out there for those who are in a good position to buy.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes one wonder how long the Mails and delivery companies will be allowed to move stuff before suspension. I have one item on the way from Wales and one from Florida.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2020 7:38AM

@fivecents said:
    I've got some key date and better date PCGS OGH coins ending next week on GC started at $1.00. I'll probably wil get burned.

I almost hit the agree button, but resisted because I want to mention that you have opened a thread in the BST to bring attention to your offerings to the folks here on the forum who may have an interest and possibly reduce a little bit the correctness of your premonition.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2020 8:55AM

I'm very curious to see events unfold over the next 2 weeks.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I'm very curious to see events unfold over the next 2 weeks.

You are not alone in your thoughts.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file