Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Incredibly cool gold nuggets

OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 14, 2020 8:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

All kinds of sad news in the world today. Thought it would be nice to share something neat, perhaps as a little distraction to it all.

Yesterday I made the drive about 1.5 hours north to check in with David McCarthy, we always have a great time talking coins, history and all sorts of other topics. I also needed to pick up a few items he had been holding for me. A couple things I had purchased, some things he had helped get re-holdered with pedigree on label, etc. All very cool stuff.

It's a nice drive for me because I get to go across the Golden Gate Bridge, with a superb view of San Francisco, Alcatraz and the bay. Great way to get warmed up for the always enjoyable California gold rush discussions with David. The weather was clear and the traffic was lighter than normal, for obvious reasons.

Now just about every time I've visited, David has some incredibly cool items just "sitting around". Yesterday was no exception, sitting on the table were 6 or 7 giant slabs with large, and unique, California gold nuggets. He also had a bunch of smaller/regular sized slabs with nuggets as well. Such a cool deal for David and PCGS to get these into a nice protective holder with what I consider nice presentation. There was an insanely large fist-sized nugget, around 20 ounces of gold with some dirty quartz mixed in that blew my mind. Very heavy.

I did not leave empty handed, as you can see...

Too bad the Baltimore show was canceled, the rest of these would have been on display (and for sale) there. Incredibly cool nuggets that will fortunately escape the melting pot.

Yesterday happened to be David's birthday, so if ya'll know David, don't forget to wish him a happy one.

Comments

• Options

Let’s make this an eye-candy thread. Post your gold nuggets if you got’em.

• Options

Love these @tradedollarnut . That first one is special.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous

• Options

Awesome stuff guys.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

right now Heritage has some pretty nice Gold Nuggets, too rich for me. B)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

@wildidea those nuggets look to be in the approx. 1 oz size range, I like how you show them next to the finished mint product.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread! They are a hobby unto themselves.

Give a National Coin Week talk at a local school and bought several years ago for such. Some crystalline. Most Australian. 8-24g. Sort of grew attached. No good pics.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    This is my favorite - 1.1oz of gold, 2.7 inches tall:

Awesome

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

All very nice!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone see the copy of the largest nugget ever found on Parker's Trail last night? Unfortunately it was melted down but supposedly had 3 million worth of gold in it at today's prices!

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

It's been a while since I've shared this one. I like it because it's Alaskan gold and documented.

I also like that it's an example of how the price of gold was fixed at $35 back at that time ... thanks to good ol' FDR (ha!).

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

That gold was hot liquid and then cooled is amazing still. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    @wildidea those nuggets look to be in the approx. 1 oz size range, I like how you show them next to the finished mint product.

The nugs in the picture are in the 25-27 gm range. A few of them went bye bye to pool funds for my first 5 ouncer that came in my LCS. This one is pretty cool to just roll in hand and gaze at the waves of golden metal. This one sets up pretty cool in several different positions.

OriginalDan, your nuggets are neat! Looks like your well on your way to enjoying an awesome collecting category and crossover interest to collecting coins. For me it was coins to natural metal specimens then that bridged an interest in other mineral specimen collecting. Ore specimens with visible gold came next. Eventually other non PM gemstones and minerals......one thing leads to another and it’s fun to learn as you go.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread and some really nice nuggets. I have a couple...will try to post pictures later...have to go to work now... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat nuggets. Thanks for sharing.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

We know that the S.S. Central America shipwreck held plenty of gold dust, but what about larger nuggets? @Dwight_M can you answer that question?

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    This is my favorite - 1.1oz of gold, 2.7 inches tall:

This looks like a beautiful piece of art!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file