Home U.S. Coin Forum

I just checked spot Silver at CoinInfo.com and am in shock!!

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Cash is king...not gold...not silver....not numismatic coins, ....not bitcoin....not stocks...not bonds, not commodities, not real estate.

There is a reason they say CASH IS KING1

Looks like toilet paper, Lysol, butter, and beans is king up in my neck of the woods. When the city chickens come begging I have no plans to accept cash.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Cash is king...not gold...not silver....not numismatic coins, ....not bitcoin....not stocks...not bonds, not commodities, not real estate.

And it's no good til it's spent. Aye, there's the rub. :(:|:#>:)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

blitzdude stole my thunder!!!!! :p

when I worked at the shop I was always amused by the "hard-core guys" would come and buy Silver like it was the salvation that would see them through the apocalypse. I would remind them that guns are a little more important as well as a good stock of dried goods and canned goods. I will tell you this, the bad guys won't be knockin' on your door to take your Gold, Silver, Platinum, Bitcoin or Stocks and Bonds. they will want your food, gasoline and women --- probably not in that order, either.

Gold and Silver might make you feel good but it won't help you.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

will be interesting to see what you all say in about a months time???

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure can't predict where we will be in a month or so. I just try to keep the vehicle between the ditches each day as it comes (but certainly try to plan/predict somewhat enough to cover as many eventualities as reasonable).

----- kj
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

No answer is completely wrong or right. Different assets make people feel safe whether its cash, stocks, bonds, metals, guns, food, shelter, etc. You have to decide for your situation in life.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭

I have already stacked my silver Britannia, Panda, and AE at $19 and $21 many years ago. :smile: I am waiting for Palladium to drop to $1400 due to low demand from Automobile manufacturers so I can acquire my 2019-W Palladium in PCGS-69 or 70. I lost 65% of my gain (cumulated gain since 2016) in the stock market in just 3 weeks but I am going to double down soon ...

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    Watch the bond market. At the first sign of recession it could take a massive hit and destroy everything but gold.

Gold has always been insurance and it has never been cheaper as insurance.

Usually when stock market drops, gold rises. Many feel metals recently took a drop because of margin calls and people selling things to meet margins.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@bidask said:

And it's no good til it's spent. Aye, there's the rub. :(:|:#>:)

Course ya caint spend it if ya don't have it.

@davewesen said:

@cladking said:
    Watch the bond market. At the first sign of recession it could take a massive hit and destroy everything but gold.

Gold has always been insurance and it has never been cheaper as insurance.

Usually when stock market drops, gold rises. Many feel metals recently took a drop because of margin calls and people selling things to meet margins.

The way things were dropping I doubt you'd have time to sell anything to meet a margin call.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

This this this

m

Oh and this

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@bidask said:

This this this

m

Oh and this

what happens if there is hyper-inflation?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@Justacommeman said:

@bidask said:

This this this

m

Oh and this

I wouldn't assume gold would save you in that environment.

Everyone keeps calling for inflation. Have you noticed Japan? The environment is deflationary not inflationary.

@davewesen said:

@Justacommeman said:

@bidask said:

This this this

m

Oh and this

Very valid question

I suspect that is the least of our worries for now. There is time for that I suppose. When bubbles burst you will generally see more deflationary shrapnel . At the end of the day everyone has to do what they feel is best for them including sleeping weight

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metals are up overseas at this moment. No taking of my women, although there are days.... :D

Check again

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is now down more than $60. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:
    Gold is now down more than $60. :o

Silver down almost $2

Silver currently showing at $12.68................................un-freakin'-believable!!!!! I am not a metals guy but I'm tempted to buy. is anyone still selling??? :)

just checked Apmex, spot + $3??? I don't think so..............................

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Silver currently showing at $12.68................................un-freakin'-believable!!!!! I am not a metals guy but I'm tempted to buy. is anyone still selling??? :)

If you are talking about physical silver, the answer is yes but not at these prices.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Silver currently showing at $12.68................................un-freakin'-believable!!!!!

It's in a complete meltdown :D

Seriously though, at this price level I would love to add some to my holdings, but
    apparently no one is selling physical silver at these prices.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2020 5:03AM

Who is selling at these low prices? I need to stack at the 20% dip

Seems like dealers just removed inventory to reduce selling at these prices.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ag now at $11.81 and the US markets haven't opened yet... I'd be buying, but who's selling??

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
    edited March 16, 2020 5:26AM

There is no way every bullion dealer ran out of inventory while folks were sleeping.

@lkenefic said:
    Ag now at $11.81 and the US markets haven't opened yet... I'd be buying, but who's selling??

someone for the price to be dropping, but it might be mostly paper

@PerryHall said:

@jessewvu said:
    There is no way every bullion dealer ran out of inventory while folks were sleeping.

True but they're under no obligation to sell existing inventory at a loss.

I totally agree but don’t put a banner on the website saying there is a several week delay due to high order volumes.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

1929 around here ?

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    1929 around here ?

I hope not! It took 10 years and a world War to recover from that...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Seems counter productive.

It's not like the shale producers cannot be replaced.

Somebody will just buy up all the bankrupt companies, their leases, and their wells and keep pumping and keep drilling at an even lower break even point.

Doesn't Oil have to be $65 a barrel before Frackers can make any profit?

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is likely more than your run of the mill recession.

----- kj

at this price I would buy 500-1,000ozt. for the normal premium but not for spot +$3 or higher and I'm not even a metals guy. it might be time to be. also, I passed the local gas station and unleaded is at $1.589!!! >:)

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

.... they will want your food, gasoline and women --- probably not in that order, either.

HA! I think you're absolutely correct that it's not gonna be in that order- but those will probably be the TOP 3 things for sure!

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Silver has been trying to go down for a couple months now.

This is a perfect illustration of what I've said before about gold/silver not serving as disaster insurance as they once did. A similar thing happened in 2008/2009 although in 2010 and 2011 metals moved up. When the proverbial trouble hits, gold/silver tend to sell-off just like every other asset class.

I have to agree to a point. From others that I have talked to Folding Money, Fives Ten's and Twenties are the preferred choice right now, some are not trusting today's digital currency.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

$12 ?????

MY MY MY... waited about 12 years to see that price again.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

@keets said:
    just checked Apmex, spot + $3??? I don't think so..............................

You were in the biz so realistically how many think that they're going to get something in tight supply for fire sale prices?

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The longer dealers sit on silver in a declining market the longer the road back. Long as they have the time to wait for the rebound and do not need any funds from silver sales, they should be okay.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

You were in the biz so realistically how many think that they're going to get something in tight supply for fire sale prices?

I have seen drops before but haven't been through one where it went down $2 from Friday close till Monday morning, in prior times when it is going down the dealers tend to buy to keep up with the selling end so the premium has stayed the same. not so now.

I stopped in to see a friend on the way home and the premium is more than I'm willing to pay so I passed. perhaps the biggest thing is that nobody has any physical Silver.

@keets said:

I have seen drops before but haven't been through one where it went down $2 from Friday close till Monday morning, in prior times when it is going down the dealers tend to buy to keep up with the selling end so the premium has stayed the same. not so now.

I stopped in to see a friend on the way home and the premium is more than I'm willing to pay so I passed. perhaps the biggest thing is that nobody has any physical Silver.

The PM market opens Sunday at 5 pm CST. Usually gets more active when the U S stock market opens. I lucked into a short term sale Friday for some ASEs. Got em all sold when they get here.

What you're willing to pay depends upon how badly you want it. Good luck getting anything at any price with no supply. The ones with silver to sell have jacked prices way up either to discourage buyers or make a killing for those who do buy.

my only hope, unrealistic as it may be, is that price holds low while supply increases and the spread eases. as it is now, that would be about 3-4 weeks and I can't see that happening although it might. I typically don't play in the PM market but $12/ozt. seems real low to me so my reasoning is to get in and wait for the few months for the price to start back up.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

$12.72 today 3/17/2020 :* that seems like a good bottom but what do I know.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

With premiums "iffy" it takes some time for Comex deliveries to be made into retail products.
    Same with trying to reverse the flow from buy to sell.

It takes some managing.

$100 face value of junk silver was 1,318.46 on 23 Dec when spot was 17.65.

Same thing today is $1,562.99

Supply and demand??

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's the physical market and there's the paper market.

One of them is manipulated.

Guess which one.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@jessewvu said:
    $100 face value of junk silver was 1,318.46 on 23 Dec when spot was 17.65.

Same thing today is $1,562.99

Supply and demand??

No, simple price gouging.

edited March 17, 2020 12:30PM

@jmski52 said:
    There's the physical market and there's the paper market.

One of them is manipulated.

Guess which one.

Is this a trick question?

:#

mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file