Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mechanical errors (so called). Post one if you have one.

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know some will leave them as they are for various reasons like comical or just the uniqueness.

I currently have one that I'm trying to get resolved beacause I can't add it to my Registry set in this holder.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64,

What's the point?

Trying? I suspect that if anyone has a label error they can SIMPLY send in with a note to be corrected. Every TPGS I've worked at makes label errors. We have several a year. When the customer calls, we ask them to return the slab for correction and we issue some coupons for free grading to cover the postage cost to sent it in.

BTW , anyone who wants a label error can send a coin in with a check for $50 and we'll make one. For $100 extra, we'll make you a really impressive error label for your collection. $500 will get you an error label also torn in half so it is partially missing.

Get it?

• Options

@Insider2 , not trying to make any point or be critical.

When I say trying, I probably should have said I'm proceeding...

I called customer service, emailed him by his instructions and am awaiting further instructions.

I've gone through the process before.
    Next, I expect an email with a prepaid shipping label and instructions.

What's your going rate to add a 'D' to my 1932 quarter label? ;)

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just take it to the next BIG show (if there is one) and avoid the whole mail thing.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    @Insider2 , not trying to make any point or be critical.

When I say trying, I probably should have said I'm proceeding...

I called customer service, emailed him by his instructions and am awaiting further instructions.

I've gone through the process before.
    Next, I expect an email with a prepaid shipping label and instructions.

What's your going rate to add a 'D' to my 1932 quarter label? ;)

Your coin is WORTH MORE MONEY to most folks in a PCGS slab. I'd let them do the correction. You can find the cost of services for any major TPGS on each of their websites.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 3:20PM

Wrong denomination. This one even made it into a Heritage auction. I wonder if the buyer noticed. :-)

The other one I've seen a couple of times at Heritage is the 1860-o half dime, labelled as plain 1860.
    Done in both NGC and PCGS slabs.
    The o is small and people may be looking above the bow instead of below....

"To err is human; to forgive, divine."

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this 1947 Walker. It’s labeled a 1947 D, however it’s actually a 1947 P. It’s in a nice OGH at MS 63, but I think it’s better...

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 4:14PM

Had,,,,,not have. :s

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several slabs with mechanical errors from both major grading services where they put the wrong grade on the label. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 5:06PM

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are in old holders I'd rather keep. Or have been cracked for a Dansco.
    Lance.

S-65, R1. Misattributed. Shielded hair variety. Head of 1794, not 1795.

N3, R1. Med ltrs, small ONE CENT. Misattributed as Large letters.

N4, R2. Misattributed as Hd of '38.

Misattributed. Large 0, not small.

Misattributed. Large 0, not small.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 10:11PM

Not a U.S. coin, but I had this one, also purchased out of a Heritage auction. They knew it was a 1/2 Real. The auction description read --

Republic 1/2 Real 1859 Mo-FH MS66 PCGS, Mexico City mint, KM370.9. A marvelous example with a cameo looking strike with blazing cartwheel luster.

I dropped it off with PCGS at Central States and they took care of me. :)

CERT VERIFICATION #15717946
    PCGS Coin Information
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS # 516544
    Date, mintmark 1859-Mo FH
    Denomination 1/2 R
    Region Mexico
    Grade MS66
    Holder Type PCGS Gold Shield
    Population 1
    Pop Higher 0

Jeff

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost forgot, still have one more to deal with and it will be a shame as the mechanical error is on an OGH label.

The issue is that the PCGS coin number 525556 is for the Large Eagle variety, but the coin is a Small Eagle variety. Can't put the coin into the registry set as a result as it will fill the wrong slot.

CERT VERIFICATION #02347355
    PCGS Coin Information
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS # 525556
    Date, mintmark 1955-Mo
    Denomination 20C
    Variety Large Eagle
    Region Mexico
    Grade MS65RB
    Holder Type Standard
    Population 5
    Pop Higher 1

Wish I could not only get the free mechanical error fix, but also a free regrade and get the bump to 66RB!!! :D

Jeff

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 11:19PM

Incorrect attribution is somewhat different from a "mechanical error".
    A mechanical error is supposed to be equivalent to a typographical error.
    The simplest examples are incorrect year, mint mark or denomination - where they would look at it and immediately agree.

Incorrect attribution often means they didn't know the correct attribution
    (classification of a die variety = die marriage and/or die state).
    This definitely happens, because they don't have experts in all series, and have to try to use the existing books, fairly quickly.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @sparky64,

What's the point?

Trying? I suspect that if anyone has a label error they can SIMPLY send in with a note to be corrected. Every TPGS I've worked at makes label errors. We have several a year. When the customer calls, we ask them to return the slab for correction and we issue some coupons for free grading to cover the postage cost to sent it in.

BTW , anyone who wants a label error can send a coin in with a check for $50 and we'll make one. For $100 extra, we'll make you a really impressive error label for your collection. $500 will get you an error label also torn in half so it is partially missing.

Get it?

Some of us like things that we PAY FOR done right THE FIRST TIME.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had one.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 1911-D Indian gold $10 from a major dealer at a coin show. The NGC slab label showed 1911-S and the dealer priced it accordingly. The mintmark on these coins are really small so I can understand why this error was made. I didn't feel like going through the effort and expense of getting it reholdered so I just took a Sharpie and wrote 1911-D at the top of the slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These errors do creep in from time to time....Understandable when considering the volume processed... Really simple to have corrected. Some can be humorous, such as the centennial quarter labeled a Kennedy half above :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was an eBay Buy It Now or Make Offer based upon 7TF pricing.
    So I made a lower offer... and got it.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2020 2:29PM

4 emails, 2 phone calls, 6 weeks and still sitting on this coin that I'm now am starting to regret buying.
    Last error that I had to have fixed I had a prepaid FedEx label with submission forms and clear instructions within a day.

I will continue to be patient.

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one from WAY before our host...

1788 Massachusetts cent, Ryder.12-M. Painted Die Variety misattributed as Ryder.7-M by Frederick A. Canfield sometime between 1920 and 1926.
    American Numismatic Society, 1931.58.408

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS MS-64 1921-D Morgan slabbed as a 21-P that I can't find a picture of right now.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going....

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file