Home Metal Detecting
Options

Spring has sprung for me!

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went back to my "oyster cove", a forest plateau between an old colonial road, a 19th century rail line and the Delaware river. Recap, I dug 50+ IHC and early wheaties last fall and got attacked twice by ground hornets to boot. I knew there was more. The best find is the 1864 IHC with obv and rev die clash altho the 1878 ain't too shabby. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice details for the 64 and 78 IH cents. Hopefully there is a rare Seated or Barber waiting for you
    Good luck!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds Roy.... Is there any resource (library, town records etc.) that can reveal why that area is so rich in old coins? There must have been some kind of activity there to allow such quantities of coins to be dropped. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko Good day my friend. I also dug a no date Flying eagle cent, a vintage hat pin and a 1914 wheatie. Lots of fresh water oyster shells, lots of 25 and 32 caliber casings. Also I posted the 2 wood splitting wedges forged from 3 RR spikes. So signs of work and play. This was an impromptu eating and social spot lost in the history of an evolving topography. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 ....Thanks for the reply Roy....must have been a super popular spot....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Namvet69
    Hello Roy, some more great finds. I look forward to your posts on the spectacular finds you make. Really happy for you. Perhaps you might locate a 1893 S Morgan. Looking forward to additional posts. Good luck, Ken

• Options

@metaldetectinghound3 for all the great coins and relics I've dug, I've not dug a silver dollar. It'll happen someday. Peace Roy

• Options

Keep looking Roy... they are out there... though I have not found one either. Season is shaping up though, snow is melting on the mountain....soon be able to get out cache hunting again. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I agree those are some excellent details on the 1864! Your finds are examples of the legends on which my dreams of detecting with own detector are based - - just there's not many places left around here to look.......... too much development & cement....... But ONE of these days!!

So what do you do with all your detecting finds? Toss them in jars & keep them? 2x2's? Catalog? Or do you ever sell/trade?
    Not detecting finds, but I've found I have a hard time letting go of anything I've collected (coin-wise.... I'm not a "hoarder" otherwise), unless it's an extra to acquire a date needed to fill another hole in our Whitman folders...

• Options

I never sell my coins.... not a hoarder, more of an accumulator (is there a difference? :D ). Cheers, RickO

• Options

I am always ready to get outside and detect. I'm going down the shore to hit a low tide after the next storm. Peace Roy

• Options

Good luck Roy... could be some interesting stuff washed up. It will be too cold for surf detecting though... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's excellent!!!