Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Turn out your pockets...

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 10, 2020 4:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

...and post your pocket piece/pieces!

What made me think of this was the “Post your gold on gold” thread. I reached into my pocket, took the picture, and posted it. It got me wondering what everyone carries around.

Comments

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    Wow, Bob! I’d be nervous carrying that. That’s a great picture though. Usually I carry a Peace or Morgan dollar, but lately it’s been nothing.

There’s just something comforting about carrying real money, especially gold. I have always carried gold pocket pieces.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pic, on my hand - a coin ring made from a 1943 WL half.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2020 5:28PM

@divecchia said:
    Here are my pocket pieces which I carry all the time. They represent 4 generations of my family from my grandparents to my daughter.

@Outhaul Love the gold, Bob.

Donato

Even better when there's a special meaning.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

What made me think of this was the “Post your gold on gold” thread. I reached into my pocket, took the picture, and posted it. It got me wondering what everyone carries around.

Thats equivalent to my life savings with inflation. :'(

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

99 percent of my pre-33 is graded, plus I have jeans that have holes in the pockets, the coins would end up in my shoes

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@Downtown1974 said:
    Wow, Bob! I’d be nervous carrying that.

I would not be nervous at all, most all Americans would not know the value of that :)

perhaps not, but I have lost things from my pocket before

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a cleaned 1838 half dollar that I carry around, hoping to wear it down to a more respectable appearance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice gold Bob....I do not carry pocket pieces...and the change in my pocket is all modern clad (checked)...I do carry pocket knives (really good ones), a flashlight, keys, notepad, two spare magazines, a loupe, and a thumbdrive voice recorder. Oh yes... a wallet and bill clip. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@1630Boston....Nice.... I did not include my EDC firearms in my post...two Springfield XDs .45's....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @1630Boston....Nice.... I did not include my EDC firearms in my post...two Springfield XDs .45's....Cheers, RickO

Guess I'm old school, 38 special for me.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@privatecoin said:

@ricko said:

I've never had a revolver jam or stovepipe.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've tried pocket pieces but I eventually end up losing them.
    When that happens, it bothers me because in general I never loose anything.
    I've carried a jack knife since I was practically a toddler.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the OP's pieces.
    That's over the top in my book but really cool as well.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

@privatecoin said:

@ricko said:

I've never had a revolver jam or stovepipe.

Probably why my Walther is in the shop right now, having 'reliability' work done on it.
    Oh well, plenty of others to use in the mean time.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Walther is a 22.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2020 10:24AM

@Outhaul said:

Wow! That's a lot of gold! I only have one gold piece in my collection, and it was given to me.

Here are my three pocket pieces:
    The Mercury Dime because this was the first coin (not this exact coin, but a Merc Dime) that I bought when I was a kid. Until then, my entire “collection” was found in change.

The Morgan because it’s my favorite to collect. And, I like the big, heavy dollar and the unmistakable silver ring when I flip it in the air for heads-tales!

The 2-Cent because I liked tossing it on the table at work and letting everyone in the meeting know that I was about to put my 2-cents in! Ok, corny, but it did spark interest in and discussions about the coin. Most people never knew that there was a 2-Cent coin. And, this particular one is cool because 1864 is the first year of issue, and this is the first coin type to bear the motto “In God We Trust.” After doing this a while, I had a couple people interested in buying one, so I sold them their very own 2-Cent piece!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

Just one, I've lost so many over the years. I just wish I could afford to carry gold like the OP 😁

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Really nice gold Bob....I do not carry pocket pieces...and the change in my pocket is all modern clad (checked)...I do carry pocket knives (really good ones), a flashlight, keys, notepad, two spare magazines, a loupe, and a thumbdrive voice recorder. Oh yes... a wallet and bill clip. Cheers, RickO

That's a really lot of stuff to keep in your pocket!!!

• Options

@Eric_Babula ....Cargo pants...but yes, a lot of stuff.....All my life I carried a lot of stuff in pockets.... Loved it when cargo pants came around....added more stuff.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carried a crown brought back from Australia by my dad in WWII. Misplaced it once so had it slabbed and put it away for the kids. Only paper money and plastic since. Less is best for me.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Eric_Babula ....Cargo pants...but yes, a lot of stuff.....All my life I carried a lot of stuff in pockets.... Loved it when cargo pants came around....added more stuff.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

Mental note: When going to a basketball, football, baseball (whatever) game, do NOT get in the security check line behind guys wearing cargo pants! LOL!!! :D

• Options

@Eric_Babula....Yep... takes a while... Always fun going through the airport.... :D Some stuff I have to pack (knives and guns of course)...the rest, well, I do get funny looks from time to time... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@1630Boston ...Almost buddy....almost.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProfLiz said:
    My favorite design. This one was cleaned in the past, so now rattles around in my wallet trying to get legitimately worn...

I'd slab it NOW. That's cool color. :)

• Options
    ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, topstuf. I probably should take a look at it under the loupe and see if it has a chance to straight grade...

But I've gotten used to having it with me. I'm afraid I'll miss it if it's tucked away in a slab! :-0

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple V nickels that used to be really dark with corrosion. They are still
    pock-marked. (And 36¢ I found in the street last month)

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1884 Morgan kept falling out of the ring it was in on my keychain, so it got replaced with a Russian medal:

Just in case I have another brush with the FSB - successor to the KGB.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭

No pics at the moment, but I tote a 1901 Barber Half. Well worn, almost slick on one side.

imageimage

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 6:32PM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file