Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 buffalo nickel?

This nickel has the date worn off but it appears to be a type one from the mound that the buffalo is standing on. Is it a 1913 and is it of any value to some
one?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

You are correct, it is a 1913 type 1. Dateless Buffalo's are worth around 7-15 cents each.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth much, but a place filler for sure.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing that can be said is that your coin did the job it was made for.

To CIRCULATE.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Doira....Welcome aboard.... Nice old, well circulated Buff...No real numismatic premium, but can fill an album hole. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for the info here. Saves a lot of time and research. Is there any advantage (I really don't like asking ,and you all my never speak to me again), but would it be a really dumb idea to try this nick- a-pick (?) to bring out a date?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Doira said:
    Thanks for the info here. Saves a lot of time and research. Is there any advantage (I really don't like asking ,and you all my never speak to me again), but would it be a really dumb idea to try this nick- a-pick (?) to bring out a date?

There's no reason to do anything to the coin, as you and many others already know the date.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

yup no reason to use nic-a-date on it. It would sell for a buck or so on eBay.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2020 4:24PM

Dateless 1913 type one buffalo nickels “in the wild” look better when they remain dateless. You sometimes have a nasty
    experience trying to “raise the date” on these type one nickels as some of these dates just will not come up and they look like crap.
    Must have something to do with the mixture of the metals or maybe impurities? Any way leave those 1913 type ones alone.
    Type two buffs from 1913 to 1915 seem to restore nicely, from all three mints. You can recognize these early type two buffs
    by the fact that the motto LIBERTY is shallow and the LIBERTY was strengthened in 1916 and thereafter. When you get into the 1920ies they are also sometimes hard to restore seems to be the same reason as the 1913 type ones.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no reason to raise a date on that coin. Leave it alone!

Everyone knows what it is.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2020 5:17PM

Dateless 1921 P and S can be determined by the differing braid detail that was used only in 1921 (top image).

• Options

Thanks everyone.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

All buffalo nickels are cool. This one is no exception.
    Welcome to the forum😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file