Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My toned gold newp! Will she grade?

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got this in today! Gorgeous purple/blue toning, mostly on the reverse. Tons of luster. A tiny bit of hairlines above the eagle on the reverse. Also, is that circular spot on the obverse a strike through? What do you think, will she grade?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it should grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think it will grade, unless they decide the circle is graffiti

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no expert but I have my doubts. The circle on the obverse looks like graffiti to me. Are the edges raised?

• Options

• Options

@FredWeinberg Do you think that is a strike through? And if so, a big enough one to grade as an error?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2020 12:31PM

Looks like a strike thru. However, it also l9oks like some starts-an-stops inside the depression which would indicate graffiti. You have the actual coin to check.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

61 is what I'm thinking. Nice little coin! :)

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen some of the more knowledgeable folks on here suggest that iodine was applied when gold shows that color. Others have suggested leather pouch storage causes that deep purplish tone. As for me, I like like the color and sharp strike. Nice coin! Please keep us posted on the grade results!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike through. It's either a piece of thread, wire or a short and curly hair.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Looks like a strike through. It's either a piece of thread, wire or a short and curly hair.

Botched omega? :D:D>:)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a O, for obverse.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say what that is.... Will leave that to the graders who will determine what to call it when in hand....The color bothers me... could well be iodine treated.... Please let us know what transpires at the TPG. Cheers, RickO

• Options

The color looks perfect for natural toning, not splotchy like Iodine ones I've seen. Looks just like CACed pcgs toned gold I've had in the past

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a struck thru to me also.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think no.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten I think you should send it to me for further evaluation. I believe you have my address... :#

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I thought it was a scratch, but it's nice to learn from the experts that it may not be.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am leaning towards the circle being a scratch/graffiti. It looks like there are a handful of pin marks or edges within the circle, like someone scratched it stopped, and started again several times. Tough to determine without more detailed pics.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2020 8:47PM

@ShadyDave said:
    I am leaning towards the circle being a scratch/graffiti. It looks like there are a handful of pin marks or edges within the circle, like someone scratched it stopped, and started again several times. Tough to determine without more detailed pics.

You gotta remember, this coin is the size of a dime, and the close up pictures I posted after my first post are pretty darn close up really. The circle is almost hard to see with the naked eye really, and I cannot even see the marks inside the line with a loupe. Also, the lines below the circle almost look raised here. Could they be die polish lines?

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that $2.5's are small coins, I actively collect them as well. As for whether the circle is damage or from the result of a strike-through, I'm not sure anyone will be able to tell from the pics or without having it in hand.

The lines in between the stars definitely look like die polish.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten did you ever submit this one?

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece, but I’m guessing no on this one. Toned gold is a little worrisome to me. But if it were mine, I’d give it a try. Good luck!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any of those polish lines go across the circle unbroken?

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the first two pics you posted I am skeptical that it will straight grade.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

That is graffiti. Not gradeable. Toning adds to the suspicion of its previous storage circumstances.

• Options

Have not submitted it yet. I usually only submit once a year or so. Fred has already told me he believes it is a strike through, and the toning is good. Just like many of the other certified and CACed coins I've seen.

• Options

Here is a nice similar one in old NGC holder I am thinking about picking up.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, you should pick it up, if the price is right !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I am seeing graffiti on that coin ... so I'm going to say it will not grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file