Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seated Dimes from SS Central America?

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has any one yet seen one of the Seated Dimes from the SS Central America shipwreck? Aside from a couple "Call Now For Pricing!" type ads from shady-looking bullion websites I can't find a single one that has been offered for sale. Or even made available to see.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

With silver being so reactive in salt water, the restoration must have been difficult. Unless the silver coins were somehow protected....Really did not read much about the silver. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    With silver being so reactive in salt water, the restoration must have been difficult. Unless the silver coins were somehow protected....Really did not read much about the silver. Cheers, RickO

True. In my mind I would categorize them as "treasure" rather than "numismatics" if that makes any sense. Still want one.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

As mentioned in my most recent post about the 1861-O half I purchased from the SS Republic wreck, some appear to have survived fairly well and restoration was well done. Some did not survive as well when you start looking at individual examples. Wondering about how difficult it was to restore dimes with their much more intricate design features.

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s the one I own, I paid a nice premium on it. I know a guy with a few.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

amwldcoin, very nice ecample.

The one I just picked up is a CSA issued example in AU with "C" grade designation. Amazingly nice to look at!

• Options
    Dwight_MDwight_M Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

The republic silver was in much more shallow saltwater. This means more currents and Warmer water and activity which corrodes the metal.
    The ssca was 7,000’ deep. Water was 35 degrees. Tightly kept in a bag inside a safe and the interior pieces were amazingly not “rusted”.
    Look no further than the miracle gem 1856-S and some choice O mints that look like they went from the mint into a cabinet.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took long enough! I know half dimes were on the inventory as well.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if I want to pay that type of money for a coin like that. that's just me

• Options

@Dwight_M said:
    Goldberg’s will be auctioning the individual highlights and rarities of the dimes and other silver coins in June ...
    I believe the bulk of the dimes will be made available in the fall of 2020

Any updates on these? I don’t see anything at Goldberg’s yet.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dwight_M said:
    Goldberg’s will be auctioning the individual highlights and rarities of the dimes and other silver coins in June ...
    I believe the bulk of the dimes will be made available in the fall of 2020

Including the Early Capped Bust dimes?

Easton Collection
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file