Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Special Labels

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion an interesting / attractive label can add a lot to a slabbed coin.

I would love to see a wider variety of special or custom labels made available.

It would be REALLY special if we could upload our own background image for any submission.

What does everyone else think? What are your favorite special labels?

I thought this one was excellent, but disappointed it was only available for bulk submissions...

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think unless it's something exceptionally special I think the labels should be standard.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 9:17AM

@291fifth said:
    I would rather they stick to one difficult to counterfeit label.

All labels are likely easy to counterfeit because they are under plastic and cannot be felt. Think of counterfeit currency. It just comes down to whether it’s worthwhile to counterfeit. The RFID chip and cert verification photos are much stronger protections. It would be nice to be able to get both TrueViews and SlabViews on certs verification, similar to HA and Stack’s.

• Options

@Pedzola said:
    In my opinion an interesting / attractive label can add a lot to a slabbed coin.

It would be REALLY special if we could upload our own background image for any submission.

It could be interesting to upload your own in an editor like online business card builders.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of special labels, but if people want to pay TPGs big bucks for them, thus keeping prices for the services I use from climbing too fast, more power to them.

• Options

Labels that stand out for me include:

• gold foil
    • Doily
    • Black palladium
  • Options

Why the hate for special labels?

Blue gradient has always seemed to me like an odd standard.

I like the labels that provide a bit more context: a flag, related subject matter image or portrait (e.g., a buffalo), a color scheme that compliments the coin... etc.

There are some good ones out there already, I would just like, as an individual (non-bulk) submitter, to have more and better options.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:

I like the labels that provide a bit more context: a flag, related subject matter image or portrait (e.g., a buffalo), a color scheme that compliments the coin... etc.

There are some good ones out there already, I would just like, as an individual (non-bulk) submitter, to have more and better options.

I have no problem with them.
    Others don’t like them because they think it’s too gimmicky (or doesn’t match aesthetically to their other slabs). If it was profitable enough to do individual special labels, I’m sure it would be done. At this point, it seems like it’s only worth it if done in bulk (for most of the special labels).

• Options

@Pedzola said:

I prefer a clean, consistent look with just the facts about the coin. I also dislike the "doily" labels, if that makes any difference. They're ugly, which is why they're rare.

I was actually expecting this to change this year, to go along with the new black boxes, much as what happened when the boxes and labels changed from green to blue. White on black with logo hologram like on the NGC holders, maybe a metallic gold accent somewhere, better formatting of text for multi-line descriptions.

• Options

I agree that "first strike" or "first day of issue" labels don't add value. Could use that space better.

So besides special labels, what should the standard label look like, if not gradient blue? A black label would probably look nice with most coins.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I to do not care for " special " labels. Give me a standard label. If the coin is special, denote it on the " standard " label

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 1:03PM

I agree with Pedzola, I like some of the special labels like the Apollo Labels and the 1st Strike Flag Label. It jazzs up an other wise plain run of the mill label.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider labels to be a distraction... For me, plain and simple with the grade, variety if one, and number....I like the idea of the new chip though....Pretty labels are a distraction from the coin.... If I wanted pretty, I would collect stamps. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Man oh Man,,,,,, how can you not like that Apollo Label going with that coin?

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Man oh Man,,,,,, how can you not like that Apollo Label going with that coin?

It would look a lot better without that great big "First Strike™" logo taking up the top third.

• Options

I actually have a coin it for reholder now, primarily for a TrueView, secondarily to get rid of the hokey special label.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2020 3:35PM

I don't think I saw this posted above but here it is:

https://www.pcgs.com/labels

At the bottom is the Canada label on which they chose to use the flag of the U.K. instead of Canada's.

• Options

I dont care for the show-specific labels. I think some of them look nice I just dont get why you'd want to commemorate a coin show.

Canadian coin w/wrong flag is a head-scratcher.

What about using different color labels or other design cues to designate a century. I.e. coins from 1900-1999 get a different label than 1800s or 2000s.

I think having country flag in upper left would be a good idea for all coin labels.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marketing crap. You going to collect coins? Or labels, holders, stickers?...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@Bullsitter said:
    B)

Is that a picture of who graded the coin?

• Options

@WaterSport said:
    Marketing crap. You going to collect coins? Or labels, holders, stickers?...

WS

All of the above,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get that some people like them and collect them.

I do not.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o
    Buy the Coin and NOT the ###e#! B)

• Options
    CascadecoinsCascadecoins Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

I really like the idea of custom labels. Options for foil or custom holographic enhancements could be a nice touch for some. I will say the Apollo labels are some of the better visuals.
    I picked up this NGC 5oz with the lunar insert a few months ago and haven’t seen too many of them around.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next the slabs will be colorized. Blue tints, pink tints, yellow, rainbow. You won't be able to get an accurate read on the coin itself. Blast white? I dunno, your coin has a teal tint.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2022 7:36AM

IMHO special labels are just a market gimmick to get people to spend more cash

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of First Day Covers.

Stamp collectors who lived a century ago were constrained in the enjoyment of their hobby by the lack of new postal issues. Many years could go by with only a few new issues. Collectors were always searching for new items to add to their collection.

The slow end of US First Day Cover collecting began about 1975 with the entry of both the Franklin Mint and Reader’s Digest into the monthly FDC market. Both companies operated a monthly service that sent numerous FDCs to subscribers. The prices were high-usually close to $10 each for a cover that had a 13c or 15c stamp (the postage rate in the 1970s) and a 5c envelope. Millions of dollars of these postal products were sold into the philatelic marketplace, often to casual collectors who had no idea of their real value and that they were buying souvenirs, not collectibles. By 2000, the philatelic FDC marketers were largely gone, having left millions of collectors with hundreds of millions of dollars cost in material that was very overpriced, undesirable, and not collected by modern philatelists.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

First Strikes, First Day of Issues, First Discoveries and maybe a few tributes.
    That's about it for me.
    :)
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2022 1:03AM

@Pedzola said:

I thought this one was excellent, but disappointed it was only available for bulk submissions...

I liked the “Earth Rising” for the Apollo coins and the pink labels for the “Breast Cancer Awareness”. Other than those I prefer a plain label.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file