Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is a complete set of Indian head pennies worth

bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figure Ag -good ....some a little better

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the combined relevant price guide value of the keys plus a token sum for the balance.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to price them individually. The numismatist who runs the Parsippany show had a complete set in his shop some years ago that were a lot higher grade, uncertified. Tempting, but I would not want to take risks on coins so prone to issues.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2020 6:47PM

@bidask said:

Reading your comments at the end of your post.....we're brothers. We think the same. Do the same. . So...it's What you get for it. You knew that. Why ask?

P.S. My friend.....you are not giving away your money. You are contributing it to that which you consider worthy. There is a difference. You know that.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@bidask said:

Reading your comments at the end of your post.....we're brothers. We think the same. Do the same. . So...it's What you get for it. You knew that. Why ask?

P.S. My friend.....you are not giving away your money. You are contributing it to that which you consider worthy. There is a difference. You know that.

Ok

But I’m not a Indian penny guy so back to my original question .

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I think the PCGS Price Guide provides values which can help you. I used the link from here and found this:

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/indian-cent/44/most-active

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Make certain the 1877 and 08-S and 09-S are genuine
    2. AG Indians are a tough sell, except for key dates from 1866-1877. When buying figure them at about 1/2 G bid or less if severe wear or damage.
    3. 1880-1909 (except for 1885) are hard to GIVE away in G/VG. Price when buying at 25c each
    4. all your money will come from the 1866-78 and of course the 08-S and 09-S.
    5. So figure those coins up and be back a little and the rest will be gravy.
    6. Unfortunately you will have to remove the pricier coins from the holder and inspect for damage/alterations, etc. Never assume a coin in a Capitol holder is OK unless you take it out and look at it.
    7. Good luck. Don't bury yourself!
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Mannie on #1, there are lot of old sets around with fake keys. Almost like this was a cottage industry years ago.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

@mannie gray said:
    1. Make certain the 1877 and 08-S and 09-S are genuine
    2. AG Indians are a tough sell, except for key dates from 1866-1877. When buying figure them at about 1/2 G bid or less if severe wear or damage.
    3. 1880-1909 (except for 1885) are hard to GIVE away in G/VG. Price when buying at 25c each
    4. all your money will come from the 1866-78 and of course the 08-S and 09-S.
    5. So figure those coins up and be back a little and the rest will be gravy.
    6. Unfortunately you will have to remove the pricier coins from the holder and inspect for damage/alterations, etc. Never assume a coin in a Capitol holder is OK unless you take it out and look at it.
    7. Good luck. Don't bury yourself!

Thank you both

I will prolly break the set up

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send the 4 to be graded and put in plastic, otherwise they will be a hard sell.

1908-S
    1909-S

Maybe a couple of the early ones if they are decent, otherwise they are not worth the cost.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this already your set considering selling, or are you considering buying it?

I would look at and value the 1877 and 1909-S. Then check if any of the top 4 rows have any VF or better. That is probably 75% of the sets worth.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall @bidask
    The CDN greysheet @JohnF has values for the complete 61 coin set less 56, 58/7, 60 ptd bust, 69/9, 73 DDO, 94/94].
    That could be a starting point for it's value.
    most recent I have is 2017 guide
    G4 = $1493

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would sure like to find a set like that at a yard sale... ;) for $20 bucks... :D Well, it could happen....Cheers, RickO

@davewesen said:
    Is this already your set considering selling, or are you considering buying it?

I would look at and value the 1877 and 1909-S. Then check if any of the top 4 rows have any VF or better. That is probably 75% of the sets worth.

my set

@1630Boston said:
    If I recall @bidask
    The CDN greysheet @JohnF has values for the complete 61 coin set less 56, 58/7, 60 ptd bust, 69/9, 73 DDO, 94/94].
    That could be a starting point for it's value.
    most recent I have is 2017 guide
    G4 = $1493

thank you

Take a look of this 1908 s that was part of this set .

What would grade it ?

On the other hand take a look of the 1877
    that was part of this set .

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭

The '08-s looks to have AU details but the yellow color looks a little off to me like it's been cleaned and retoned. The '77 looks like FR2 details - damaged.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file