Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay auction

SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out #

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just crazy.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a case of just attaching the wrong photos. The seller hasn't received any negative feedback in the past.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a simple mistake.

Vplite99
  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 5:26PM

Yikes!

The seller mostly doesn't sell coins, so they may have been scammed in purchasing it, to begin with.

Edit: Oh wait, they say it was NGC certified - seems pretty fishy!

Also fishy that a seller who never sells coins and has no other items for sale would have this particular date. If you go back further in time, the seller has multiple negative feedbacks - they are all just more than 1 year old.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's impressive feedback!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the C mintmark. But, I do see the COPY on it.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was it's a Godiva chocolate piece.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    Probably a simple mistake.

Agreed. I don’t understand what the big deal is. It’s clear that the pictures don’t match the item description. If the seller was trying to scam someone, he could easily find a “better” way to do so.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited February 29, 2020 6:18PM

@MFeld said:
    If the seller was trying to scam someone, he could easily find a “better” way to do so.

Not necessarily - a lot of scammers are pretty unsophisticated. All they need is one buyer who is even less sophisticated.

It's possible the seller was looking for stock photos to use and grabbed photos of the copy, by mistake.

That being said, I regularly see eBay listings of raw coins where the seller lists them as TPG certified. Yes, it's obvious that the coins are not slabbed, but sellers do it, anyway. Some of them do it just so they can list their coins for >$2,500, which is the maximum BIN price or starting bid that eBay allows for an uncertified coin.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@MFeld said:
    If the seller was trying to scam someone, he could easily find a “better” way to do so.

Not necessarily - a lot of scammers are pretty unsophisticated. All they need is one buyer who is even less sophisticated.

It's possible the seller was looking for stock photos to use and grabbed photos of the copy, by mistake.

That being said, I regularly see eBay listings of raw coins where the seller lists them as TPG certified. Yes, it's obvious that the coins are not slabbed, but sellers do it, anyway. Some of them do it just so they can list their coins for >$2,500, which is the maximum BIN price or starting bid that eBay allows for an uncertified coin.

But the copy in the pictures is a different denomination and mint than what’s listed for auction. And the minimum bid isn’t going to attract a very high percentage of clueless bargain seekers.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing is gone now.... did anyone get a screenshot?? Sounds to me like it was a picture/listing error... Cheers, RickO

@ricko The listing was supposedly for an 1849-C Half Eagle, but the photo was of a crude copy of an 1849 Double Eagle (with "COPY" stamped on the reverse).

@MFeld said:
    But the copy in the pictures is a different denomination and mint than what’s listed for auction. And the minimum bid isn’t going to attract a very high percentage of clueless bargain seekers.

I agree. I'm not saying that the seller was smart or likely to succeed. Although I can't read the seller's intentions, I can read between the lines, and the listing had red flags all over it:

a) seller lists a raw coin, but describes it as certified - scammers do this all the time so that they can price a raw coin as high as they want to (in this case, $9,999)

b) seller never sells other coins, but suddenly has a better date half eagle for $9,999.

c) this $9,999 coin is the only item seller currently has for sale.

d) seller primarily sells cell phones

e) seller has lots of negative feedback

You would be amazed at the scams people get away with on eBay. For example:

A brand new seller (feedback score of 0) creates a listing for a 1922 pattern peace dollar (Judd-2020), simply by copying all of the text and images from the original Stack's Bowers auction. He throws in a photo of a horrible, blackened 1922 business strike peace dollar for good measure (presumably, this is the coin he has in hand).

I report the listing to eBay, but it is not taken down, and the coin sells for over $1,000. Buyer leaves negative feedback, but the seller is not kicked off eBay. With a feedback score of -1, the seller pulls the scam a second time - this time, the coin sells for $600. Not until eBay was contacted directly by Stack's Bowers did they remove the listings and the seller's account!

When fakes/scams are discussed here on the forum, we are seeing those listings removed because several of us are reporting them to eBay at once. When I report listings to eBay as an individual, I rarely see them removed. Scams on eBay appear to be largely unpoliced, and all too often, the scammers are succeeding!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file