Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Little Piece of Americana....1793 Half Cent

I thought I’d post another item from my collection.....

The first United States half cents were 35,334 pieces minted between July 20 and September 18, 1793. The dies are believed to have been prepared by Henry Voigt, but this remains uncertain. Half cents of this date are smaller in diameter than subsequent issues and bear a unique design adapted from the beautiful Libertas Americana medal coined in France. Liberty's bust faces left in this year alone, and the Phrygian Cap of the freedman is borne on her right shoulder. The wreath is extremely elaborate, with extensive detailing that required individual hand-punchings in the die preparation process. This type's beaded border is also unique to the 1793 coinage. In addition to the value expressed two ways on the reverse, the edge of each coin reads TWO HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR in incused letters.

Two obverse dies were paired with three reverse dies for a total of four marriages. Few collectors seek these coins by varieties, as they are rare enough by type to present a significant collecting challenge. This is especially true of coins having smooth planchets and no damage.

While not in the best shape, it is cool to have a non-detailed coin with such an important history!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

1793 coins are always great.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 7:55PM

I love half cents!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good and informative post. Thank you.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post and a real nice old coin.... would be a pleasure to own such a coin. Thanks for the description/history and pictures... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful i like

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Gorgeous example. This is on my eventual list to acquire as a type coin. These are hard to find at all, very hard to find in a straight-graded holder, harder still to find without detracting issues, and virtually impossible to find all of the above at a price that is reasonable.

Well said. Wonderful coin, from what we can tell from the less-than-wonderful pictures

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, you have something vary rare and special. Hang on to it because it will be had to find another example 👍

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice coin!

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

Great coin and great post! Love these kinds of posts where I get a glimpse into the history of a coin, whether I'll have one or not! Thanks, @Kindred4u !!!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file