Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beaver coins, beaver tokens... are there also beaver medals?? Other than a couple of Canadian nickels, I do not have a collection of beaver coins, but have seen a lot of them here....True story - one day, while sitting at my computer, on the coin forum, I looked out the window, and there was a real, live beaver walking down my street. I do not live very close to a stream or lake (closest about a half mile away), so it was a real surprise. The critter just kept walking towards the village...no idea how far it went. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is there a book that goes into depth on the Canadian Type Tokens. I take it the Beaver has a special place for the Canadian Goverment. I just noticed they have the Beaver on their 5 cent coin. That’s how far behind I am on the Canadian money system. TYIA

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo - Yes, the beaver was of tremendous significance to Canadian history. The Hudson Bay Company and The Northwest Trading Company were established for fur trading in Canada. The trappers working with the Indians explored all of Canada and the Northwestern United Sates.

@ricko - Yes, there are medals with beavers.

For colonial token there is The Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens 10th edition, 2020.
    For tokens post 1857 look for The Illustrated History of Coins and Tokens Relating to Canada by P.N. Breton, c. 1894 but reprinted in the 1980s.
    For medals look for an old copy of The Canadian Coin Cabinet by Joseph LeRoux, c.1892 but reprinted in 1983.

Here is an example of Breton 571:

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thank you 1960NYGiant. I just picked this book up to add to the library from EBay.

• Options

I picked this up recently. You have to watch how they charge from Canada, some go straight withdraw from your bank accounts.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    I picked this up recently. You have to watch how they charge from Canada, some go straight withdraw from your bank accounts.

Just saw this one. That's gorgeous @Gluggo !

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Beaver coins, beaver tokens... are there also beaver medals?? Other than a couple of Canadian nickels, I do not have a collection of beaver coins, but have seen a lot of them here....True story - one day, while sitting at my computer, on the coin forum, I looked out the window, and there was a real, live beaver walking down my street. I do not live very close to a stream or lake (closest about a half mile away), so it was a real surprise. The critter just kept walking towards the village...no idea how far it went. Cheers, RickO

Although there are many more beavers depicted on tokens, there are some nice medals out there. I kept this one out of a recent lot that I bought as it is the best depiction I've run across with a beaver as the central device. The fact that it's a silver Tiffany & Co. doesn't hurt either.

• Options

@tokenpro....that is a very nice medal, thanks for showing us. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 17, 2020 11:58AM

Thank you Zion. Came across that one and had to have it. Was not that spendy but had a nice red color to it. Got a few more to post but work has me working way to hard. You would never think there was a National Emergency going on with the amount of work we have scheduled for the next 90 days. No Resturants closed here on the Kenai! We got 1000 Out of State workers coming up to work in the Refinery for 90 days, I am sure NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! :* DRILL BABY DRILL!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are interested on a beaver portrayed on a medal then you may like the Lake George Regatta Association medals produced by Victor David Brenner (the same one as the Lincoln cent). They aren't Canadian and the beaver is not the central design element, but it has a prominent place at the top of the arrow point.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I like the die rotation.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2020 6:12AM

@ricko said:

It probably had rabies. :p

Seriously though, coins with beavers clearly have a big following here. I dare say as coin animals go it's as popular as our own Bald Eagle. I too like the Canadian nickel but have enjoyed seeing the many different beaver coins and tokens that have been shared here.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko here are a couple of those Lake George Regatta Association medals I have obtained over the years-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB....Wow.... very, very nice....I was planning on going there this summer... there are small shops all over up there.... will see if I can find one of those...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Sorry for posting months late to this thread. There are very historic Canadian tokens used for the fur trade, with small and poor quality images of beavers. The tokens are some of my favorites right now.

These are Hudson's Bay Company tokens good for 1 MB (Made Beaver), 1/2 MB, 1/4 MB, and 1/8 MB. This set is from the Eastmain District.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file