Home Q & A Forum

1972 Kennedy Half weighs 10.37 grams -should be 11.34 - error? or within the tolerance weight.

mystrey9mystrey9 Posts: 20
edited February 28, 2020 7:00PM in Q & A Forum

Hi,
I have this Kennedy Half that weighs 10.37 grams and should be 11.34. It does not look worn enough to have such a weight difference. I have read that there is a tolerance weight difference in all coins but can not find what the difference in weight can be considered normal. Thank you for any help.

Comments

• My scale has been calibrated. And all my other Kennedy halves weigh their correct weights.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly struck on quarter stock instead of half dollar stock? Does the thickness match a quarter or half dollar?
    That difference in weight would be well beyond mint tolerances.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

• Sorry my computer is acting up.
    This half is the same size as a half dollar. It is the middle coin.
    Thank you

• How can I find out anything about this coin? Could PCGS know if I had it graded?

• JBKJBK Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to spend $100 or so to have PCGS weigh it for you then I am sure they'd be happy to take your money.

What is it that you think you have? It looks OK, does not visually appear to be undersized (so not a wrong planchet). It could be struck on strip that was slightly thin.

If you post in the US coins forum you will get more replies.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 hundredths of a gram is very minute. If I blow on a coin on my digital scale the weight increases momentarily. I think your coin is within tolerance. IMO. Peace Roy

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

the weight spec for a clad half is 11.34 +/- 0.454 gms, so assuming your scale is properly calibrated as you said, it may be struck on a slightly thinner planchet.

Member of the ANA since 1982