Home Q & A Forum

1972 Kennedy Half weighs 10.37 grams -should be 11.34 - error? or within the tolerance weight.

mystrey9mystrey9 Posts: 20
edited February 28, 2020 8:00PM in Q & A Forum

Hi,
I have this Kennedy Half that weighs 10.37 grams and should be 11.34. It does not look worn enough to have such a weight difference. I have read that there is a tolerance weight difference in all coins but can not find what the difference in weight can be considered normal. Thank you for any help.

Comments

• My scale has been calibrated. And all my other Kennedy halves weigh their correct weights.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly struck on quarter stock instead of half dollar stock? Does the thickness match a quarter or half dollar?
    That difference in weight would be well beyond mint tolerances.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

• Sorry my computer is acting up.
    This half is the same size as a half dollar. It is the middle coin.
    Thank you

• How can I find out anything about this coin? Could PCGS know if I had it graded?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to spend $100 or so to have PCGS weigh it for you then I am sure they'd be happy to take your money.

What is it that you think you have? It looks OK, does not visually appear to be undersized (so not a wrong planchet). It could be struck on strip that was slightly thin.

If you post in the US coins forum you will get more replies.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 hundredths of a gram is very minute. If I blow on a coin on my digital scale the weight increases momentarily. I think your coin is within tolerance. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

the weight spec for a clad half is 11.34 +/- 0.454 gms, so assuming your scale is properly calibrated as you said, it may be struck on a slightly thinner planchet.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2021 5:42AM

I have found 2 of these light weight 1972 half dollars-just today 9-9-21. 1 weighs 10.49 and 1 weighs 10.42 and earlier found a 1977 that weighs 10.75 (slightly out of tolerance). The US mints have made many coins for other countries over the years. Could the stock used for these coins be stock that was intended for a foreign coin? The Philippines coins are made of copper-nickel-zinc. I do not know how to tell the difference of a copper nickel zinc coin from a copper nickel coin, but then I do not have a 1972 Philippines coin for comparison. The other possible countries are Liberia and Nepal of which coins were copper nickel. 10.37, 10.34 and 10.49 are too far out of tolerance and need an explanation. If quarter stock was used the coin should weigh about 8.8 g. My guess is that they were minted on stock intended for foreign coin usage.
    https://libertycoinservice.com/wp-content/uploads/learning-center/collectors-checklist-foreign-coins-by-us-mint-type.pdf

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    3 hundredths of a gram is very minute. If I blow on a coin on my digital scale the weight increases momentarily. I think your coin is within tolerance. IMO. Peace Roy

It is not 3 hundredths of a gram, it is almost a full gram. It is way out of tolerance at 10.37.

11.34 grams +/- 0.454 Range 10.886g to 11.794g
    and most are well within that range.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely struck on a thin planchet

https://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-foreigners_in_the_mint.html

Search the PDF for foreign coins struck in Philly around 1972 that has a weight spec that matches yours. Not holding out much hope however.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thickness looks proper

Does it ring the same as the other two?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a world of difference between copper nickel and copper nickel clad.

Are those foreign coins you referenced clad coins, or made from alloys?