Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ready for an Out of Collar Experience?

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I understand, Peace Dollar errors are somewhat rare...

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough error in any grade and probably like 1000 times rarer than any Morgan $1 PC.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, don't see many Peace Dollar errors... and even fewer O mint gold errors....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could someone explain to me what a partial collar is? I don’t really get it.......

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

very B) error coin

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Could someone explain to me what a partial collar is? I don’t really get it.......

From minterrornews.com:
    "Partial collar strikes occur when there is a malfunction of the striking press. This causes the collar to be in an incorrect position. The lower die (usually the reverse die) is recessed in the collar. This allows the coin which is going to be struck to have a formed rim."

In other words, the collar isn't properly in place around the planchet before striking (e.g. the planchet might have been fed incorrectly?) and the coin is struck while only "partially" in the collar.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough coin! Heritage has sold one, count 'em, one partial collar Peace dollar. Ever. $250 in 2007 for an AU53 1922.

I wish yours didn't have the "algae growth" look to it, but I really like it.

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice partial collars. Easy to see without need to use magnifying glass. :)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a keeper .... thank you for sharing B)

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are neat!

Every coin in my collection was struck out of collar ;)

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Tough coin! Heritage has sold one, count 'em, one partial collar Peace dollar. Ever. $250 in 2007 for an AU53 1922.

I wish yours didn't have the "algae growth" look to it, but I really like it.

Wow. Much more rare than I thought. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the paucity of auction records, what would a good valuation for a piece like this be?

I've got a 1922 Peace dollar with tilted partial collar in 63. Picked it from a dealer's Morgan/Peace bin for melt, and didn't realize it was a tilted partial collar until I got home and realized the coin felt "odd."

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RockyMtnProspector said:
    Given the paucity of auction records, what would a good valuation for a piece like this be?

I've got a 1922 Peace dollar with tilted partial collar in 63. Picked it from a dealer's Morgan/Peace bin for melt, and didn't realize it was a tilted partial collar until I got home and realized the coin felt "odd."

Several hundreds? It's hard to put values on stuff that never shows up in the marketplace. I was looking at other Peace dollar errors and even mundane stuff like laminations get premiums. Rotated dies < 90° for several hundred for an AU common date. A cleaned, broadstruck 1921 Peace dollar went for over $7000 (and, boy, is it hammered). If you use $250 for a 1922 in AU53 in 2007 as a baseline and look at how that compares to similar Morgan dollar errors, which are more plentiful, you might be able to come up with a number for that coin today. I guess $800-1000 wouldn't surprise me, but I could be way off in either direction. The only way to find out for sure would be to let it go to auction. The 1922 in 63 could be even higher, although the severity of the error comes into play here. Maybe @FredWeinberg would have a comment.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@RockyMtnProspector said:

Several hundreds? It's hard to put values on stuff that never shows up in the marketplace. I was looking at other Peace dollar errors and even mundane stuff like laminations get premiums. Rotated dies < 90° for several hundred for an AU common date. A cleaned, broadstruck 1921 Peace dollar went for over $7000 (and, boy, is it hammered). If you use $250 for a 1922 in AU53 in 2007 as a baseline and look at how that compares to similar Morgan dollar errors, which are more plentiful, you might be able to come up with a number for that coin today. I guess $800-1000 wouldn't surprise me, but I could be way off in either direction. The only way to find out for sure would be to let it go to auction. The 1922 in 63 could be even higher, although the severity of the error comes into play here. Maybe @FredWeinberg would have a comment.

Thank you, that's a great explanation.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file