Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any information on the ANA

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surly someone has been to the show !

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 7:49PM

Attendance is OK...could be much better. The glaring thing I noticed...is the majority of attendees were ANA members. They don't have to pay to get in the show. While it may work in other areas...most folks in the South smirk at paying to go to a show. I think they are charging $10 on top of the ridiculous table fees they are charging. The ANA is a non-profit? You couldda fooled me!

Edit to add...while it's been awhile...last time it was here parking was free...not this time. :/

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Attendance is OK...could be much better. The glaring thing I noticed...is the majority of attendees were ANA members. They don't have to pay to get in the show. While it may work in other areas...most folks in the South smirk at paying to go to a show. I think they are charging $10 on top of the ridiculous table fees they are charging.

I don’t know the ANA’ rationale for charging $10 admission to Non-members so I don’t have an opinion on if it’s a good policy, but I’m confident that it doesn’t move the needle on their revenues or on the number of serious buyers in the room.

As for why the show is not great, it has far more to do with bad timing, being sandwiched between two much larger shows, Long Beach and Baltimore.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was there for most of the show today. Each person has their own experience, but I thought there were fewer people than I expected. And the general "mood" was a bit dull unfortunately. Does the ANA have a less than favorable appeal these days to collectors? I don't know. It was just odd. I plan to do a full report after the weekend but saw that you started this topic and thought I would give a quick reply.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question.

Do people at major shows have issues with concealed carry?

I don’t travel without and I’m damn sure not leaving it in A hotel room...

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    Question.

I think it would be split, most having no problem with it. IF you can carry depends on the state laws and reciprocity agreements.

• Options

@ChangeInHistory said:

@Pnies20 said:
    Question.

I think it would be split, most having no problem with it. IF you can carry depends on the state laws and reciprocity agreements.

State law won’t be an issue. I guess I’m wondering if there are metal detectors security checking people, etc. if there aren’t no one will know anyways.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Organized in 1891 and chartered by Congress, the ANA is...”

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20.... I always carried at coin shows...well, anywhere I go (except planes). I have never encountered metal detectors at coin shows, and as long as you carry concealed, there should not be any controversy....You are correct, do not leave it in your hotel room. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Pnies20.... I always carried at coin shows...well, anywhere I go (except planes). I have never encountered metal detectors at coin shows, and as long as you carry concealed, there should not be any controversy....You are correct, do not leave it in your hotel room. Cheers, RickO

Thanks. Thinking about making the short trip to Atlanta today.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20.... Be sure to post a show report.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

No metal detectors! B)

@Pnies20 said:

@ricko said:

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@amwldcoin said:
    No metal detectors! B)

@Pnies20 said:

@ricko said:

I guess that’s a funny concept, metal detectors with all these people walking through with coins.

Can you imagine the nightmare if they did have metal detectors?

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

I hate paying to get into a coin show. Paying for parking is ever more annoying.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Edit to add...while it's been awhile...last time it was here parking was free...not this time. :/

You can thank the Atlanta Braves and the I-285 pedestrian bridge to the stadium for that. Not sure why they still charge when nothing is going on at the stadium. I think you can still park at the mall across the street for free but that isn't the most convenient thing .

By the way, admission is $8.00 and there is a $2.00 off coupon floating around somewhere. I plan on being there tomorrow morning when admission is free, hope there are still some dealers there. Afternoon will be spent at the Travel & Adventure show being held in the same building Saturday and Sunday.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

My bad! I just looked, it is $8 per day or $10 for the show.

Hopefully there will not be a problem with dealers leaving early. The contract states you are contracted to stay set up until 4 unless you have written permission to leave early. I'll be interested to see how many do leave early as there is a tenure penalty if you do.

@tommy44 said:

@amwldcoin said:

You can thank the Atlanta Braves and the I-285 pedestrian bridge to the stadium for that. Not sure why they still charge when nothing is going on at the stadium. I think you can still park at the mall across the street for free but that isn't the most convenient thing .

By the way, admission is $8.00 and there is a $2.00 off coupon floating around somewhere. I plan on being there tomorrow morning when admission is free, hope there are still some dealers there. Afternoon will be spent at the Travel & Adventure show being held in the same building Saturday and Sunday.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The $10 fee was only available on Thursday as a two day pass for Thursday and Friday.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe the idea of charging was that ANA would convert visitors to actually join and then get free admission.

@MrEureka said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Attendance is OK...could be much better. The glaring thing I noticed...is the majority of attendees were ANA members. They don't have to pay to get in the show. While it may work in other areas...most folks in the South smirk at paying to go to a show. I think they are charging $10 on top of the ridiculous table fees they are charging.

I don’t know the ANA’ rationale for charging $10 admission to Non-members so I don’t have an opinion on if it’s a good policy, but I’m confident that it doesn’t move the needle on their revenues or on the number of serious buyers in the room.

As for why the show is not great, it has far more to do with bad timing, being sandwiched between two much larger shows, Long Beach and Baltimore.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 5:44PM

I went to the winter/spring ANA show when it was in Portland. It was tumbleweed city, and there weren't nearly as many dealers as I expected. Until someone convinces me otherwise, I see no reason to try another one.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    Believe the idea of charging was that ANA would convert visitors to actually join and then get free admission.

@MrEureka said:

@amwldcoin said:

How's that been working out for them? ;)

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 7:02PM

I put on my big boy pants and went to the ANA coin show today @ 10:40 AM.
    It didn't have the coin show buzz you hear. Lots of action regardless. A bunch of dealer to dealer. This show is different. It's real classy. Fantastic coins and some real good prices. Got to look at a PCGS MS69 Saint Gaudens with Wells Fargo label.
    Two really nice PC MS62 Lafayette dollars at around bid. Also a Colombian half PC MS64 Rattler awesome album tone. Same dealer also had a PC AU58 seated half that matched the Colombian. He was on the left side of the bourse.
    The US Mint was set up which was pretty neat.
    PCGS and NGC were there. Dont think they were doing walk threws. CAC wasn't there.
    First thing I did was find the high gold buyer and sold 8 PCGS MS69 gold $5 commems at 96% melt..
    Took 40 coins to great collections to be CACed and auctioned. Including all my draped bust halves grading set.

Here are some of the ANA coin displays. Many were on loan by Georgia's local coin collectors.

Me. No gloves. No mask. I felt extremely safe.
    I apologize to all the forum members, PCGS and all the dealers at the show for my fear mongering. it was unwarranted.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is good to see you got there @fivecents, and thanks for the pictures. Sorry about the insults.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file