Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When/How to spot clean?

Looking for thoughts or rough decision matrix on when to clean/conserve a coin that has a correctable flaw in one specific area. Specific to the coin below, I’d like to keep the toning but the crust/dirt on the reverse detracts from the appeal for me. I have the typical chemicals available (acetone, xylene, dip, ms70, naphtha, distilled water, goo gone).

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the picture it looks like that spot on the reverse is etched/ eaten into the surface. If that is the case, it would be very hard to correct that.

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

It’s a raised crust.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spot between the A M is not going away.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice xf coin except for the 'spot' on the reverse and the area around the rt obverse stars.
    I wouldn't try playing with it if it was mine unless I had experience but since the coin is not big bucks I might try a rose thorn & a lubricant like 'coin care' if they still make the stuff. If that gunk is on top you never know what might show up if you get it off gently.

It needs to go but maybe you might enlist a knowledgeable friend and observe.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, the chance of making it worse is unfortunately high. You can try an acetone soak (or similar non-reactive solvent) followed by a rose thorn, but an isolated bright shiny spot is sometimes more distracting than a somewhat natural dark spot. I usually get frustrated and end up going at it with a die grinder or hatchet. By then, there’s hardly much point.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it alone.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suggest sending it to one of the major grading services for their conservation service. At the same time you can get it slabbed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, someone beat you to it as the coin has already been cleaned (at least dipped) in the past. As for the reverse spot, it likely has underlying surface damage hidden below the gunk. It may come off, but the chances that it reveals a pitted surface or an odd color are high.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB is correct.... While that spot/residue would likely come off with acetone and/or a rose thorn, the metal below it will probably be different than the rest of the coin....Proceed at risk if you choose to do so...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Suggest sending it to one of the major grading services for their conservation service. At the same time you can get it slabbed.

Exactly. Even if they can't completely remove it; they will still be able to minimize it's appearance, dramatically, while making sure that it's stable and they will not harm the rest of the coin's surfaces. It should grade well after conservation.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

Thank you gentlemen. I’ll try to remember to update this thread when I get the coin back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file