Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Another date for the date-set - 1787-Mo 8 Reales in MS-62 and very flashy

Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2020 4:55PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Not perfect, but very flashy for a C3! Just won at stacks....had to pay up, but C3 dates in UNC that I like the look of are proving very hard to find.

Comments

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a stunning coin. Beautiful strike and tons of luster. Can't really go wrong there. Congrats man.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching the action and was surprised it went as high as it did, but looked like there were a few people after it. Congrats on adding it to your set!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 227 ✭✭✭✭

I was the underbidder and definitely after it, I think this is the third time Senator32 has outbid me on a piece. Looking forward to you completing your date set! :)

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fluffy155 said:
    I was the underbidder and definitely after it, I think this is the third time Senator32 has outbid me on a piece. Looking forward to you completing your date set! :)

Yikes sorry bud. Seems like 3-4 of us around these parts are the only ones bidding on nice 8 Reales.

I'm in no real hurry, there are more nice 1787s out there that will eventually come up for sale. Patience is required in the classic world coin market... otherwise I'd collect Walkers or Morgans.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of great coins on this forum and very glad as a collector in this space to see the interest increasing.

My only council to fellow collectors is that there are a lot of decent MS pieces in the CIII and CIV Portraits and many yet to come in raw sets around the world. Paying up for truly special coins makes sense even if it is uncomfortable. Paying up for slightly better or even a lot better than the average coins likely in the long run won't pay out. If the coin doesn't make you say "WOW!!!!", consider if it is really worth it.

That's very good advice, sometimes hard to follow though!