Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp Bust Half

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added another Link bust half to my collection. I really enjoy the original toning of most of his collection and will buy them whenever I see them! Very excited about this one and it didnt Break the bank.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 9:40PM

"Link"??

Nevermind...I take it that's a person or collection name. I'm slow on the uptake. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

@TommyType said:
    "Link"??

Nevermind...I take it that's a person or collection name. I'm slow on the uptake. ;)

Yes. Dr. Charles Link.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look, but thought it a tad overgraded - but CAC doesn't think so - I may need
    reassess some of my own raw busties.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Bust Half....green bean too....Super add....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratz

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Love the look, but thought it a tad overgraded - but CAC doesn't think so - I may need
    reassess some of my own raw busties.

CAC seems to like bust halves that have original toning with luster underneath. A lot of Link’s busts have peripheral luster, toning in the fields and more luster on the portrait. CAC loves them all (and so do I).

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks very original. Where's the reverse pic?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Looks very original. Where's the reverse pic?

Gold Shield means the pics are readily available:

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Like the obverse, not so much the reverse. I know JA doesn't mind stains, spotting, fingerprints, or uneven/splotchy toning as long as the bust half is largely original in appearance. But these things bug me.
    Lance.

Knowing that those black lines are mint made kind of put me at ease.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Like the obverse, not so much the reverse. I know JA doesn't mind stains, spotting, fingerprints, or uneven/splotchy toning as long as the bust half is largely original in appearance. But these things bug me.
    Lance.

Why do you say that? Not to be argumentative, but those black streaks look like stains from rubber bands or some such object that sat atop the coin for a long period. I very much doubt they were mint made.

Not everyone will be bothered by them. I'm probably too fussy.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:

@Pnies20 said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Why do you say that? Not to be argumentative, but those black streaks look like stains from rubber bands or some such object that sat atop the coin for a long period. I very much doubt they were mint made.

Not everyone will be bothered by them. I'm probably too fussy.
    Lance.

They’re drift marks. When the silver is rolled and during the milling process, impurities in the silver expand and cause the black streaking.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drift marks (or planchet streaks) are usually straight. Rollers move in one direction and impurities are stretched out. Below are a couple of examples.

But let's not quibble. I have been wrong before. If you are happy with the coin that's all that matters.
    Lance.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2020 1:21PM

@lkeigwin said:
    Drift marks (or planchet streaks) are usually straight. Rollers move in one direction and impurities are stretched out. Below are a couple of examples.

But let's not quibble. I have been wrong before. If you are happy with the coin that's all that matters.
    Lance.

I’m nowhere near an expert. I’m just repeating what was told to me by other bust half connoisseurs.

They look straight enough to me so even if you’re right, I’ll just pretend they’re drift marks :D

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 2:08PM

They look a lot like rubber band marks. Look across the eagles beak, neck feathers. If the marks were in the planchet when struck, they would cross the beak and feathers without interruption, like in Lance’s photos.
    They don’t bother me, and I like the look of the coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

now i got a better idea what there called. many thanks

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 2:05AM

@Pnies20 said:

@TommyType said:
    "Link"??

Yes. Dr. Charles Link.

I’ve seen a ton of different pedigreed CBH’s, but I’ve been searching for decades to just see one of these. Thanks to @Pnies20, I have now found the missing Link! 😆

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file