Home Q & A Forum

Ebay, sellers who do not leave feedback

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

So what is your opinion on sellers who receive IMMEDIATE payment with in the auction close ( PayPal) and the seller does not leave feedback for you after you have given them positive feedback? Is it up to the buyer to have to keep asking for feedback several times or what? Do you now bid and win another item by the same seller and make them wait for payment. 10 days after receiving the coin, I guess I should be thankful that the coin is as stated. This is the second time with auctions won, positive feedback left and no received feedback by the same seller with multiple requests to do so. Help me here.

Comments

  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you received the items in the condition you expected, at a price you're happy with, multiple times, who cares about feedback. Would you rather get a coin that doesn't look like the photo, 2 weeks late, but get good feedback?

    Yeah, I agree that can be an annoyance, but which is more important to you?

    Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

    Member of the ANA since 1982
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I care only about receiving the item in condition as described and in a timely manner. Feedback is meaningless to me.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Kirk222Kirk222 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

    Some sellers wait until weeks later to give feedback because they have so many transactions. After about 10 days, I e-mail them when they don't give me feedback. You can always opt out of leaving feedback first.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    Thanks for you opinions.
    As I stated in my opening post, I appreciate the item arriving in the condition as described by the seller. This will always be my main concern. Feed back is a great way to guide me in my bidding / purchases. Some people feel that feedback is meaningless for the buyer but to others , it is very important. I am a follower of the latter. It tells a story about the person you are dealing with. That "feedback" represents me and how I pride myself in my transactions. Many sellers / dealers leave immediate feedback to the buyer as soon as they receive payment, others won't for some reason or other. I feel that all sellers should leave feedback upon receipt of payment. The buyer has fulfilled his obligation to the seller. What are some of the reasons a seller won't leave feedback first? Again just trying to understand the other side.

  • To me the only feedback I am concerned with is reading why the seller received a neutral or negative. I read those before I even bid. Positive is just that, positive so no matter. I always leave feedback but that is just me.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @Strikeguy said:
    To me the only feedback I am concerned with is reading why the seller received a neutral or negative. I read those before I even bid. Positive is just that, positive so no matter. I always leave feedback but that is just me.

    feedback before or after?

  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I cared about that when I had a lower feedback 20 years ago, but my feedback number is so high now, it doesn't bother me anymore

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @coinpalice said:
    I cared about that when I had a lower feedback 20 years ago, but my feedback number is so high now, it doesn't bother me anymore

    so do you leave feedback first or second (as a buyer and as a seller)?

  • Kirk222Kirk222 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

    Well, if you are a seller, you can go either way. Since a seller cannot give negative feedback to a buyer, their purpose of utilizing feedback goes either way. Some go ahead and give positive feedback so that their buyer is pleased and will reciprocate. Other sellers wait until the buyer gives good feedback to make sure the buyer is not upset,if they don't like the transaction. IMO, it makes no sense anymore for the seller to withhold feedback since they cannot give negative to a buyer. Back in the old days a seller would wait, and if the buyer gave negative, the seller could reciprocate. I've been a seller on Ebay for 20 years. I leave feedback on a case by case basis.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @Kirk222 said:
    Well, if you are a seller, you can go either way. Since a seller cannot give negative feedback to a buyer, their purpose of utilizing feedback goes either way. Some go ahead and give positive feedback so that their buyer is pleased and will reciprocate. Other sellers wait until the buyer gives good feedback to make sure the buyer is not upset,if they don't like the transaction. IMO, it makes no sense anymore for the seller to withhold feedback since they cannot give negative to a buyer. Back in the old days a seller would wait, and if the buyer gave negative, the seller could reciprocate. I've been a seller on Ebay for 20 years. I leave feedback on a case by case basis.

    Thank you for your insight. What you say makes a lot of sense. I will now also leave feedback on a "case by case" basis. I have many dealers with whom I have had hundreds of dealings with so I do not mind leaving feedback first. I did not know about sellers not being able to leave negative feedback. Can they respond to a negative feedback left by the buyer? I hope so as at least it gives them a "chance" to explain. Again thanks for insight.

  • Kirk222Kirk222 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

    @WAYNEAS said:

    @Kirk222 said:
    Well, if you are a seller, you can go either way. Since a seller cannot give negative feedback to a buyer, their purpose of utilizing feedback goes either way. Some go ahead and give positive feedback so that their buyer is pleased and will reciprocate. Other sellers wait until the buyer gives good feedback to make sure the buyer is not upset, if they don't like the transaction. IMO, it makes no sense anymore for the seller to withhold feedback since they cannot give negative to a buyer. Back in the old days a seller would wait, and if the buyer gave negative, the seller could reciprocate. I've been a seller on Ebay for 20 years. I leave feedback on a case by case basis.

    Thank you for your insight. What you say makes a lot of sense. I will now also leave feedback on a "case by case" basis. I have many dealers with whom I have had hundreds of dealings with so I do not mind leaving feedback first. I did not know about sellers not being able to leave negative feedback. Can they respond to a negative feedback left by the buyer? I hope so as at least it gives them a "chance" to explain. Again thanks for insight.

    Yes, sellers can respond to negative feedback, and some do on a regular basis. They want to "defend" themselves, and/or ridicule the buyer. It only makes them look worse in my opinion. Usually, if you leave a buyer negative feedback, he/she will block you from further bidding. But why would you buy from them again? I've been fortunate to have only one guy leave me negative feedback in 20 years. I try my level best to please. Hope this helps!

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @Kirk222 said:

    @WAYNEAS said:

    @Kirk222 said:
    Well, if you are a seller, you can go either way. Since a seller cannot give negative feedback to a buyer, their purpose of utilizing feedback goes either way. Some go ahead and give positive feedback so that their buyer is pleased and will reciprocate. Other sellers wait until the buyer gives good feedback to make sure the buyer is not upset, if they don't like the transaction. IMO, it makes no sense anymore for the seller to withhold feedback since they cannot give negative to a buyer. Back in the old days a seller would wait, and if the buyer gave negative, the seller could reciprocate. I've been a seller on Ebay for 20 years. I leave feedback on a case by case basis.

    Thank you for your insight. What you say makes a lot of sense. I will now also leave feedback on a "case by case" basis. I have many dealers with whom I have had hundreds of dealings with so I do not mind leaving feedback first. I did not know about sellers not being able to leave negative feedback. Can they respond to a negative feedback left by the buyer? I hope so as at least it gives them a "chance" to explain. Again thanks for insight.

    Yes, sellers can respond to negative feedback, and some do on a regular basis. They want to "defend" themselves, and/or ridicule the buyer. It only makes them look worse in my opinion. Usually, if you leave a buyer negative feedback, he/she will block you from further bidding. But why would you buy from them again? I've been fortunate to have only one guy leave me negative feedback in 20 years. I try my level best to please. Hope this helps!

    20 years, that is quite a run. Ebay could use more people like you. Drop me a pm and I will check you out for future buys. :)

  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 2:50PM

    Leaving FB is a choice.

  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WAYNEAS said:

    @coinpalice said:
    I cared about that when I had a lower feedback 20 years ago, but my feedback number is so high now, it doesn't bother me anymore

    so do you leave feedback first or second (as a buyer and as a seller)?

    as a seller, I leave feedback right after they pay, as everyone should

  • @WAYNEAS said:

    @Strikeguy said:
    To me the only feedback I am concerned with is reading why the seller received a neutral or negative. I read those before I even bid. Positive is just that, positive so no matter. I always leave feedback but that is just me.

    feedback before or after?

    If I am selling I generally if I remember leave feedback as I check payment and print the mailing labels. I don't care so much if they leave it or not. Their choice. But before I bid on anything if they do not have a 100% positive I read why the neutral or negative. Most of the time I feel the neutral or negative is just someone who did not receive what they thought they should have, meaning they did not read the listing completely.

    For me the thing I do not like is when I buy two or more things in the same day from a seller and they do not combine shipping. Even though they ship in two envelopes. It still costs me more and is more work for them. They did not say they combine either. I just don't like it. And a smart buyer will factor this in when bidding, and now we have to figure in the now charged state taxes.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @Strikeguy said:

    @WAYNEAS said:

    @Strikeguy said:
    To me the only feedback I am concerned with is reading why the seller received a neutral or negative. I read those before I even bid. Positive is just that, positive so no matter. I always leave feedback but that is just me.

    feedback before or after?

    If I am selling I generally if I remember leave feedback as I check payment and print the mailing labels. I don't care so much if they leave it or not. Their choice. But before I bid on anything if they do not have a 100% positive I read why the neutral or negative. Most of the time I feel the neutral or negative is just someone who did not receive what they thought they should have, meaning they did not read the listing completely.

    For me the thing I do not like is when I buy two or more things in the same day from a seller and they do not combine shipping. Even though they ship in two envelopes. It still costs me more and is more work for them. They did not say they combine either. I just don't like it. And a smart buyer will factor this in when bidding, and now we have to figure in the now charged state taxes.

    I am with you on the shipping costs. When multiple items are won and are shipped in the same package, there should be a cost reduction. When I encounter this from a seller, I put them into the "saved seller lists" with notes that they do not reduce the cost, fail to leave feedback and/or fail to respond to my request. I read this list before I bid on their next item up for bid that I might be interested in.
    If I am interested in additional items by them, I will email them and ask for a price reduction in the shipping cost. If they will not reduce the price, I will make sure that they have to ship the items one by one. Sales tax is another whole ball of wax. When I win a big (to me) ticket item, under $1,000 say on Heritage, the sales tax and the buyer's fee is enough for me to have purchased many smaller item coins on EBAY. (This makes the kiddies happy.)
    Sometimes I win :) , sometimes I don't :/ but I know in advance what my final bid will be because I deducted these costs from my max bid.

  • AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

    I don't leave feedback (as a buyer or seller) unless the transaction went poorly, or the seller went above and beyond. If everything went as expected, I just move on.

    I'll leave it for buyers if they send me a message asking, but I hesitate to leave it immediately and automatically given that so many issues can creep up later. I'd rather wait and make sure the person is happy with the purchase and isn't going to return it or look for a partial refund.

    As some others have mentioned, it was more of a priority when I was under 100 feedback, now that I have over 1,000, I just don't care all that much (receiving or giving).

  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

    I always figured since the seller initiated the transaction by their listing, they should be the first to leave feedback. I will generally wait for the seller's feedback before I leave mine. If the seller does an exceptional job (in my opinion) I will often leave feedback first. As a collector, to me FB is a courtesy and not something to boost sales.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    well I can say that after I posted this, feedback is flying in...I guess some sellers must have read this forum and wished to help me out. I am receiving immediate feedback in large numbers as soon as they receive payment which usually in in minutes after the listing closure. thanks.

  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't understand as a buyer why you would care if the seller left feedback.
    It can only be positive.....so what's the big deal?

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @mannie gray said:
    I don't understand as a buyer why you would care if the seller left feedback.
    It can only be positive.....so what's the big deal?

    Do we have EBAY abolish all feedback? If sellers don't leave it and buyers don't leave it, who suffers: the seller.
    If I want to buy a high end coin you better believe you are going to look at the my feedback as well me looking at yours. Would you sell a $3,000 coin to someone who has very little feedback with some of which is negative or would you offer to buy from a seller who has questionable feedback. Maybe you would but I would not. I hope this clarifies to you my quest to receive feedback by sellers. It is an important part of the EBAY structure. The higher the amount of positives left on each parties part, the better odds that the transaction will be a good one. :)

  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WAYNEAS said:

    @mannie gray said:
    I don't understand as a buyer why you would care if the seller left feedback.
    It can only be positive.....so what's the big deal?

    Do we have EBAY abolish all feedback? If sellers don't leave it and buyers don't leave it, who suffers: the seller.
    If I want to buy a high end coin you better believe you are going to look at the my feedback as well me looking at yours. Would you sell a $3,000 coin to someone who has very little feedback with some of which is negative or would you offer to buy from a seller who has questionable feedback. Maybe you would but I would not. I hope this clarifies to you my quest to receive feedback by sellers. It is an important part of the EBAY structure. The higher the amount of positives left on each parties part, the better odds that the transaction will be a good one. :)

    We will have to agree to disagree about feedback.
    If I am paid for an item and the address is okayed by eBay/PayPal, that is all I need to know.
    I don't look at the buyer's feedback mostly because eBay has rendered it virtually meaningless.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @mannie gray said:

    @WAYNEAS said:

    @mannie gray said:
    I don't understand as a buyer why you would care if the seller left feedback.
    It can only be positive.....so what's the big deal?

    Do we have EBAY abolish all feedback? If sellers don't leave it and buyers don't leave it, who suffers: the seller.
    If I want to buy a high end coin you better believe you are going to look at the my feedback as well me looking at yours. Would you sell a $3,000 coin to someone who has very little feedback with some of which is negative or would you offer to buy from a seller who has questionable feedback. Maybe you would but I would not. I hope this clarifies to you my quest to receive feedback by sellers. It is an important part of the EBAY structure. The higher the amount of positives left on each parties part, the better odds that the transaction will be a good one. :)

    We will have to agree to disagree about feedback.
    If I am paid for an item and the address is okayed by eBay/PayPal, that is all I need to know.
    I don't look at the buyer's feedback mostly because eBay has rendered it virtually meaningless.

    yes ,I will agree to disagree, but how is the small buyer able to move up to the big buyers. do you remember how it felt when you had 100 feedbacks and no one would leave you a feedback? so what is your feedback rating? I bet it is over a 1,000+. mine is only 300 with over several thousand items purchased. why is my feedback so low, because sellers like you, feedback is meaningless. I am not here to fault you or your way of doing business but don't blame the buyer for EBAY structure. I pay my monies and expect feedback for doing so. Keeping it friendly, I have 39 registry sets with 20 in the top 5 so pm me so that I do not buy from you as it is to much required effort for you to leave feedback, just because it means nothing to you, to others it means a lot. So have a nice day and wishes of continued good transactions to you. :)

  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As a seller, I don't care if you have 50 or 15,000 positives.
    Makes NO DIFFERENCE. I don't know why buyers think that sellers care.
    However, I did mention that as a seller, I always leave feedback for the buyer because there are some that are itchy about it.
    But I don't care if the buyer leaves it for me or not.
    I'd rather they come back and place 5 more orders and leave no feedback than just place 1 and leave me a positive.
    Positive feedback will not buy my groceries, but repeat business will.
    Also, since I don't look at it, I don't judge a buyer on their feedback number.
    Your money is the same if you are at a 5 or at 2,000.
    To answer your question, my feedback is over 16,000 but 99% of those as a seller.
    And if all BUYERS left feedback I am sure mine would be over 25,000.
    Since it is only feedback from BUYERS that matters anyway...
    Just because you bought a coin (or whatever) from a seller, you should not "expect feedback". You should first and foremost, EXPECT to get what was advertised, and delivered timely. If as a buyer that was all I got, I'd be thrilled.
    Feedback.......not as important.

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

    @mannie gray said:
    As a seller, I don't care if you have 50 or 15,000 positives.
    Makes NO DIFFERENCE. I don't know why buyers think that sellers care.

    I really appreciate your responses as I am always in the learning mode. It is nice to know the other side of the story.You have been very helpful. I can now formulate a game plan on how I will treat my feedback issues. Have a great day. :)

  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WAYNEAS said:

    @mannie gray said:
    As a seller, I don't care if you have 50 or 15,000 positives.
    Makes NO DIFFERENCE. I don't know why buyers think that sellers care.

    I really appreciate your responses as I am always in the learning mode. It is nice to know the other side of the story.You have been very helpful. I can now formulate a game plan on how I will treat my feedback issues. Have a great day. :)

    You're most welcome. :)

  • Oh wow, Ive never left feedback for someone buying. ( feeling bad now )
    It never made much sense to me..where do you purchase anything ( besides ebay ) where they rate the customer?
    Thanks for the discussion, Regardless of whether I agree or not, Im glad i know its important to people.
    Ill be leaving feedback for payment . ( even though thats what they are supposed to do )

Sign In or Register to comment.