Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade opinions?

Grade opinions?

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 9:06AM

At first I was going to say, "why bother?" Then I saw it was already in plastic. Then I saw the LIBERTY and TRUST. Then, I said, "cool!"
    MS64 RD DDO ?

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that doubling in the B&E in Liberty?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice doubling! Looks 65RD to me.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the pictures : 1941 DDO FS-101-MS 64 RED, MDS.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 red and it is a double die.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    EScott83EScott83 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

WaterSport: Are you the Lincoln Cent registry set Water Sports? If so I think it's super cool how you (and the other registry people that do so) acknowledge so many others in the comments of your coins. Class act! Also, is that you surfing? Is that is So. Cal.?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

64RD, DDO. Nice!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guessed 64RD before looking at the other replies which seem to agree with him. So I'll stick with 64RD.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

65RD.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:
    WaterSport: Are you the Lincoln Cent registry set Water Sports? If so I think it's super cool how you (and the other registry people that do so) acknowledge so many others in the comments of your coins. Class act! Also, is that you surfing? Is that is So. Cal.?

Thats Me! Thanks for the kind words. And again, thats me on board at Mondo's along 101 south of Rincon. Still Surfing at 67. Thats even hard for me to belive!

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

WaterSport,

Still surfing at 67...that's hard as nails! Soooo cool. Isn't genuine passion a great motivator! I knew I recognized that coastline. I made a coastal drive with my gal three weeks ago from Temecula to Monterey to pick up a new race car. Just south of Hurst's Castle the wind was whippin' pretty good. There was a trio of really talented kite surfers just tearing it up. Fun to watch.

Keep it up compadre!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

64, possibly + if luster is as good as it looks in the image.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 RD.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 RD.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will agree with the 64RD....started to think 63, but reduced the magnification and it made the chatter go away... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Well, ladies and gentlemen...boys and girls (drum roll please) the answer is (hang onto your undies)...

This coin is a tied for finest known MS66+RD from a recent Heritage auction. It even has one of those purchased "now it's worth more" stickers on it.

I too (and I'm as sharp as anyone on Lincoln's) would've been at 64-65 going by the images alone.

Personally I view an enormous amount of coins on line and in print and often evaluate them as moderately to grossly over graded. To be clear I'm not saying I'm right. I'm simply stating my opinion of what I often see and what this thread, to a small degree, solidifies.

As any collector worth his salt knows a coin (or any three dimensional object) can't be graded by an image alone. To do so is foolish. None the less, the overwhelming majority of modern marketplaces rely on images alone to convey the product and the majority of consumers rely on images to decide on a purchase. This is exponentially true when an item serves no purpose other than aesthetics. Nobody ever writes a positive review about a coin doing a fantastic job of cutting the lawn. To have active collectors be unanimously off by at least a grade and a half (in a market where that difference means thousands and thousands of dollars in FMV) and some off by three and a half grades raises some interesting questions, right?

• Are we, the active collecting (coin purchasing) public, that bad at grading?

• Can modern imagery technology be creating still images that are "too good" in resolution and overly exploit minuscule flaws the normal naked eye can't absorb and that exceed the modern professional grading criteria? If so, how much is this hurting the collective retail marketplace? If this is the case will the collective marketplace come to realize, understand and allow for this? (note the great post by Ricko)

• Are many coins just grossly over graded and over purchased-opinionated. If so, how? And far more importantly, why?

I find this to be an interesting dynamic in the modern numismatic (and overall electronic marketplace/imagery relationship) world.

Thoughts?

• Options

OMG...MY apologies! I just saw the (wrong) ginormous signature I tried to test-place (and was sure I deleted) in my post (man, I'm just not good at computer stuff). I've fixed my mistake (I think), ugh!

• Options

Ahhhhh, all better. Hopefully nobody saw the error I already ratted myself out on. LOL!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since when do 66's have carbon spots?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:

• Are we, the active collecting (coin purchasing) public, that bad at grading?

I would guess the grading ability of the collecting public is probably distributed something like a bell curve. But you acknowledged elsewhere in your post that it's well-nigh impossible to grade from images. Furthermore, Heritage's images are not nearly up to the standard of what several forum members routinely produce, IMHO.

• Can modern imagery technology be creating still images that are "too good" in resolution and overly exploit minuscule flaws the normal naked eye can't absorb and that exceed the modern professional grading criteria? If so, how much is this hurting the collective retail marketplace? If this is the case will the collective marketplace come to realize, understand and allow for this? (note the great post by Ricko)

Certainly photos can highlight (or disguise) flaws in a coin depending on lighting, shot angles, etc. I often find photos useful in showing flaws in a coin which I'd overlooked in hand. Also, some coins are just more photogenic than others. Such coins probably bring incrementally (or vastly, in some cases) more money in strictly Internet auctions. Experienced collectors can learn to interpret the photos of various auction houses and other sellers. Some tend to saturate color, obscure luster, etc. In the case of a coin which shows better in hand than in photos, it's probably smart to sell it in a venue that allows lot viewing.

• Are many coins just grossly over graded and over purchased-opinionated. If so, how? And far more importantly, why?

Yes, many coins are over-graded, grossly or otherwise. There are any number of historical threads here on gradeflation, coin doctoring, etc. Read through those for enlightenment on why.

• Options

CoinJunkie,

Thanks for the response!

I'm a little disappointed, I hoped for more input here. Must not be as important of a subject as I suspected it would/should be.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:
    CoinJunkie,

Thanks for the response!

I'm a little disappointed, I hoped for more input here. Must not be as important of a subject as I suspected it would/should be.

You're welcome. Lack of response may be due to the subject having been discussed at length in the numerous previous threads I made mention of.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Good guess, lol!

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

64rd

• Options

If you're one of the individuals that wonders if people actually read things or not this post is an answer!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file