Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Residential theft of numismatic coins

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Residential Theft

Milwaukee, WI investigators are investigating a residential theft that resulted in the loss of the following coins listed below.

Stolen Coins

The victim advised a male knocked on his front door and said he was from the city water department. He claimed there was a potential issue with fecal matter in the water supply and needed to check the incoming water in the basement of the residence. The suspect and victim went to the basement to "check" on the water. In the meantime, another male entered the house and ransacked it while looking for valuables.

There were also a number of high end PCGS graded Buffalo Nickels and Classic Silver Commemoratives- the list of those coins is still being inventoried.

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis
817-723-7231
Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Numismatic Crime Information Center

List of coins stolen: https://files.constantcontact.com/f0e00abc001/96ca6863-8e8a-4d61-bba0-9f6df0ba6482.pdf

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a shame.
    Good luck to the victim

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again I’m sorry to hear about another theft. I hope like hell they catch the scumbags.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

always check out such claims with the city you live in, then ask for ID and check that out with the whoever they say they are from and then if they keep trying call the cops and let them deal with the issue

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second what silverpop says. I would never, ever, let anyone claiming to be a city or state employee, into my home without verification first. I live in a small Pennsylvania town and the Water Department would notify me, in writing, WHO and WHEN they needed to do an inspection.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Again I’m sorry to hear about another theft. I hope like hell they catch the scumbags.

Me Too!

Ken
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

that list has some very nice coins - hope they get recovered

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

SDB's all the way. Scans and pictures are fine in the home.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh - awful story that happens too often. We don't even open the door, we open an adjacent window and ask their business. Usually it's someone selling something and I tell them to leave the information in the mailbox. The town would never send people door to door like this without announcement, and it should always be a red flag that someone needs to inspect anything inside your house.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    Ugh - awful story that happens too often. We don't even open the door, we open an adjacent window and ask their business. Usually it's someone selling something and I tell them to leave the information in the mailbox. The town would never send people door to door like this without announcement, and it should always be a red flag that someone needs to inspect anything inside your house.

I would agree that even once is too often, however, this is an incredibly rare scenario. Thieves typically want to avoid dealing with victims and strike when no one is home.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

shoulda locked the door before going to basement

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

It's a shame that we must protect ourselves so much these days.

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

How truly horrible. I hope they are able to recover the collection and get the bad guys. Made me sick reading that list.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... So many warning signs.... We always get notification if an agency will be coming around, they must show ID and never enter the home. Why check water in the basement? I would offer to bring a glass full to the door - and lock the door while getting it... though I am sure they would refuse with some excuse...then a call to the town offices. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 9:09AM

I have two neighbors robbed of significant amounts. One was inherited jewelry and a safe in the other case. Both were likely victims of people that had previously scoped the house while doing work in the home.

After our house keeper stole my wife's handbags, I decided anything too expensive to insure or too inconvenient to retrieve from a SDB gets sold....

Sad story...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a bummer. i hope they hang em high

• Options
    Jayyk31Jayyk31 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Scummers! Hope they get get 'em and find their stuff!

• Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I have a shop in the area, I'll keep my eyes out. What a shame.

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I work for a water utility, as others have said, utilities will always notify you first, rather just show up at the door for any major problem.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always say wait. I'll call the city and check this out.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

I keep a list of all my coins with their certification numbers and a brief description in my emails , sent to myself.
    I describe my raw coins and medals too. I also keep a list of all coin dealers and stores within a 100 mile radius.
    Same with pawn shops. Pretty sure I'm not the only collector that does all this and I sure hope I never have to
    use the lists.

I've seen Numismatic Crime Information Center help find stolen material. Great site!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file