Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Received in change...

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I know it's currency. But for some reason the currency guys always hang out here... ;)

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder where that has been for the last 70+ years or so?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice find. I wouldn't question the coin/currency thing it all legitimate money.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decent condition too! Most of the '34 series that customers bring in are in awful shape, I tell them just to spend it.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wife's grandmother had a bunch of these put up and hid around the house, other denominations as well. The great grandson found some and spent them the others her dad found and took to the bank. There was so much that the FBI investigated the Mom and Dad. LOL

Ken
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul ....Cool find and in great condition..... Are you keeping it? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Looks like an ordinary $10 bill to me. What is so special about it?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smalltime said:

It is a 1934 series.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smalltime said:

Look at the face, "Will pay bearer on demand"

How many do you see now a days with that on it?

Ken
  • Options

@ricko said:
    @Outhaul ....Cool find and in great condition..... Are you keeping it? Cheers, RickO

I think I might. It's a pretty cool find these days.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pick up. coin and currency go hand in hand :)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Testament to the composition of the Crane banknote formula. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one like that in change years ago. Wish I had held onto it. I haven’t seen one since. Nice pickup!

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always keep old bills like that. Too cool to spend.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    I always keep old bills like that. Too cool to spend.

I like to keep old currency I get in my change. Even the series 1990 $10 bills are cool

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitch about that note is that it will have no collectible value for centuries but you can’t spend it, I wouldn’t either. Just 10 bucks dead money.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    The bitch about that note is that it will have no collectible value for centuries but you can’t spend it, I wouldn’t either. Just 10 bucks dead money.

Why is it not spendable?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@JimTyler said:

Why is it not spendable?

I don't think Jim meant that it COULDN'T be spent. I believe that he meant that you can't get yourself to spend it. So, in essence, he's right. It's dead money; worth nothing more than face, but too neat to spend.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat old piece of history issued during the great depression. I'd definitely save it and get a currency holder for it to preserve it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

@ms70 said:

@JimTyler said:

Why is it not spendable?

I don't think Jim meant that it COULDN'T be spent. I believe that he meant that you can't get yourself to spend it. So, in essence, he's right. It's dead money; worth nothing more than face, but too neat to spend.

Cheers

Bob

EXACTLY

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth putting aside. It'll never make you rich but it is cool. Someone found one of grandpa's $10 bills he had been saving and bought himself a a #4 at McDonalds.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, if I'm not mistaken the 1934 series were printed up until the 1950 series came out.

@PerryHall said:
    Very neat old piece of history issued during the great depression. I'd definitely save it and get a currency holder for it to preserve it.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken the 1934 series were printed up until the 1950 series came out.

@PerryHall said:

You are of course correct but you can check the signatures to narrow down when they were produced. In this case it may have been produced after the depression so it may have been produced during or soon after WWII. Still a neat piece of paper money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

My credit unions call me when those come in, I live in an area where we have/had lots of oldtimers that stashed cash around the house that gets found after they go to eternity. I have gotten a few Series 1928s, a lot of red seal $2s and $5s, lots of silver certificates especially $5 bills. Faves though are the two $500 and three $1000 bills I got more than ten years ago now.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file