Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Alaska Suspect charged in theft of $126K in silver coins from Kodiak home

GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2020 3:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I hope they hang the guy!

Alaska State Troopers have made in arrest in the theft of silver coins valued at more than $100,000 from a Kodiak home.

Christopher Peters, 34, of Kodiak, is charged with burglary and theft in the case, troopers said.

Troopers on Feb. 6 received a report of a burglary in which $126,000 in Canadian 1.5-ounce silver coins were stolen along with other collector coins, gold jewelry and two handguns.

The coins taken from the home over the next two weeks began showing up at pawn shops in Kodiak, Anchorage and Fairbanks, troopers said. Troopers conducted interviews and developed a list of suspects.

On Saturday, troopers and Kodiak police executed a search warrant at the home of Peters. Inside the home and a vehicle, they recovered $10,3500 worth of stolen silver coins, gold jewelry, shipping receipts, ledgers, and U.S. Postal Service tracking numbers for reselling the coins, troopers said.

Officers arrested Peters and he remains jailed in Kodiak.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2020/02/24/suspect-charged-in-theft-of-126k-in-silver-coins-from-kodiak-home/

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to these stories the thing I’m most curious about is how the victim was targeted. Was it just opportunity or being followed or something else?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2020 1:21PM

Pawn shops ??? :# Dumb Crooks 101

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    When it comes to these stories the thing I’m most curious about is how the victim was targeted. Was it just opportunity or being followed or something else?

Possibly a lack of discretion.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pitiful.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

An awful lot of the time the victim knows the perp - acquaintance, friend, family member.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see how lack of discretion and showing things to too many people could be a problem. I try to limit how many people know about my collection and very few know what’s in it. That is why I like this board: I can talk about it largely anonymously.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

To do that in Kodiak let alone in Fairbanks is dumb. Not like a lot of dealers around, or pawn shops for that matter. Might work in Los Anchorage, but still a small city.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't sound like a real bright robber.....

There are people in Alaska who hoard gold and silver, not trusting banks or the government. Remember Joe Vogler, founder of the Alaska for Independence Party?? My best friend knew him and said he had so many gold nuggets hidden in the house that he would pay cash every time he needed a heavy piece of equipment for his mining operations (think CAT D8 or D10). He was murdered in the early 90's, likely for political reasons rather than robbery.

If you're one of those people, best to keep your mouth shut!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. That's a lot of coins to be laying around in someones house.

But I guess the post above me kinda explains the thinking up there.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

While a good beating and lengthy jail time seems reasonable a hanging seems a little harsh

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

Could be any number of things. Saw him at the bank with a bunch of cash and followed him, heard him talking at a bar, a friend went into the house to do some work and saw a bunch of valuables, etc.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    While a good beating and lengthy jail time seems reasonable a hanging seems a little harsh

m

Yea, just a bit.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alaska has a small postal staff and many who want to be unreachable. The criminals who escape to Alaska are closely watched and known. I would suspect shipments gave rise to the target. Just a thought

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see the punk was apprehended and some of the loot will be returned to owners - eventually. Two things to remember - security measures and discretion - critical ingredients to avoid punks. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 4:32PM

Anchorage Daily News.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file