Home Precious Metals
Options

UPDATE: Platinum is now $802 less expensive than gold!

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 5, 2020 11:29AM in Precious Metals

Is platinum still considered a precious metal? Its main uses are industrial, but it's also used for jewelry and bullion coins.

Why is platinum going down while gold is ramping up? It's also being outperformed by silver, another industrial/precious metal, and palladium left it in the dust quite some time ago.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

of course it's still a precious metal... prices move... supply and demand!!!

:+1:

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

platinum is going lower.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

why lower? and by how much? what is surprising is that spot price of 1oz Pt + 1oz Au < 1oz Pd. I don't think that has ever been the case before. something has to give wrt catalyst use and the price disparity at some point. surprisingly, Pd and Rh are going up in price as if they are the main ingredients in the latest vaccine.

• Options

gold 1646.70

platinum 927

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium is just starting to spike up....$2640....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad, but funny in a way.....

Someone who used to work where I did got spooked by the market drop, sold stock for less than he could have just a day prior (like $8/share worth) and bought platinum. The following day, saw platinum drop $240/oz from his buy price.

Dude just ain't having the luck

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

platinum isnt fit to line my trash cans with.

Garbage metal

• Options

Pretty soon we’ll start tracking the platinum to gold ratio.

KurtFlorida
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when most here, me included wanted to trade gold for platinum 1 to 1. Thank god I never found the trade.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fivecents said:
    I remember when most here, me included wanted to trade gold for platinum 1 to 1. Thank god I never found the trade.

That's trading metal for car mufflers for metal used as money .....everywhere.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy low, sell high. Isn't that how it goes? :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Gold $1668, platinum $866.
    Ratio is now nearly 2 to 1.
    Amazing!

• Options
    edited March 5, 2020 2:15PM

@jmski52 said:
    Buy low, sell high. Isn't that how it goes? :)

not here ,here is buy high pay to slab the dreck and then sell low

• Options
    edited March 5, 2020 2:27PM

here is buy high pay to slab the dreck and then sell low

So it seems............at least for now. :'(

Not to worry, my platinum investment skills are like the broken clock that's right, twice a day. Platinum's Day will come.;)

Oddly, even now, my overall position in platinum is positive. Unrealized, but positive.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Platinum up $35 overnight. Gee - if that happens about 20 times in a row, we might have something to talk about.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago I thought it would be a good idea to have a few oz of platinum in my collection. It is today worth less than half what I paid for it. :'(

Yet somehow I feel like its got to go back up eventually.... like betting black on roullette when the last 10 rolls have all been red...

• Options

Pt is the only PM out of 5 that I am not up on. But I have acquired more recently. Walked into coin store with 1oz Rh bar, 1 oz Pd maple leaf, walked out with 4 1oz Au eagles, 5 1oz Pt eagles and a little cash for the trade. .

• Options

I don't remember any day in recent history when palladium was down for the day while platinum was up, nicely. Interesting. There might be a reason?

But I digress. What did you get for the 1 oz. Rh bar?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

But I digress. What did you get for the 1 oz. Rh bar?

IIRC $9,200. A couple weeks ago, could have got $10,100 at same store at all time Rh high. Better price than i would be able to get on eBay with the selling fees, and not including S&H or possibly having to worry about being scammed.

• Options

And just after my response above, i see that Rh went absolutely nuts today. A Baird 1oz will fetch $10K once again.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2020 6:14AM

The spread is now "only" $770. Man, I never thought I'd see this sort of thing. While I do understand the factors involved with the price of gold, the historical data and an eventual reversion to the mean tells me that platinum is a pretty good bet, going forward.

I can make the same observation regarding silver and the GSR.

With the markets being manipulated such as they are, it's all speculation anyway.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@RobM said:
    And just after my response above, i see that Rh went absolutely nuts today.

After visit to shop, I just read that Amplats smelter exploded causing big supply interruption to Pt group metals, thus the Rh and Pt increases yesterday. Oh, well, traded off 1oz Rh and 1oz Pd for 4oz Au and 5.5oz Pt.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    The spread is now "only" $770. Man, I never thought I'd see this sort of thing. While I do understand the factors involved with the price of gold, the historical data and an eventual reversion to the mean tells me that platinum is a pretty good bet, going forward.

I can make the same observation regarding silver and the GSR.

With the markets being manipulated such as they are, it's all speculation anyway.

oh sure anything to talk yourself into buying garbage metals :D . Fly up into the air in a helicopter and toss your money out the window if you hate having it laying around.

Be like Ben :D

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're in a band and have a successful album, you go from gold to platinum. There's no such thing as a Palladium album or a Rhodium album!!

• Options

• Options

@chesterb said:
    If you're in a band and have a successful album, you go from gold to platinum. There's no such thing as a Palladium album or a Rhodium album!!

That's because no one has sold enough albums. You can't go palladium until you sell 100 million copies or rhodium until 500 million. Maybe some day someone will.

• Options

party like it's at 1700 minutes after opening tonight

• Options

I calculate 809.50

• Options

~840