Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1938 d penny looks like an error need your opinion/it looks like it has been repunched several times

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one do you think it is? I don't see a match for any of the known 1938-D RPM's

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

it looks like the rim of the coin going through the image several times with letters in odd places

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but your coin isn’t an error.

The things that you’re seeing are the result of a lot of wear and tear and environmental damage. Copper is a soft and reactive metal, and after 80+ years of circulation, it can get banged up. There are scuffs and scratches along with a buildup of crud that can occur over time. Your coin did not leave the mint looking like that.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop wasting your time looking for obscure "pocket change errors". If you have wonder about it it isn't important. If you need high magnification to see it it isn't important. The time of finding anything of real value in pocket change has been over since the end of the silver coin era ... the early 1970's. Yes, there is always the chance of finding something that an heir to a collection has dumped back into circulation but such finds are very unusual. I have not found a coin of value, other than some silver ones, in more than thirty years.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shellywood....Welcome aboard.... Your cent is not an error... It is well used and suffers from handling damage. Good luck in your searches... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a error but a well used penny

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I don't think that you're wasting your time looking for these varieties. It's all part of the hobby and some people enjoy searching for that needle in the haystack. The take away here is to collect what you like and have fun while doing it.

Welcome aboard.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing but a > @jafo50 said:

I don't think that you're wasting your time looking for these varieties. It's all part of the hobby and some people enjoy searching for that needle in the haystack. The take away here is to collect what you like and have fun while doing it.

Welcome aboard.

That's a very nice sentiment, the problem with your takeaway is that in order to find a needle in the haystack you have to know what to look for. This fellow; and many others that have been posting recently; clearly do not have any clue what to look for as they think damaged coins are somehow valuable which they are not. I certainly don't care if someone wants a collection of parking lot finds, if that's his/her bag great have at it; but I certainly don't for a second think that finding modern junk damaged coins is a good use of anyone's time. These new individuals should spend their time reading a red book that would be a far better use of their time.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file