Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MS60 $20 first year type II

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-double-eagles/double-eagles/1866-20-ms60-ngc-like-the-1865-the-1866-is-more-difficult-to-locate-in-mint-state-than-the-1872-1874-and-1875-most-su/a/267-8003.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

I bought this in an HA auction many years ago. A question I had at the time that I never asked was why MS60? I thought MS60 coins are weak on eye appeal, and this one had nice luster and no obvious problems. I never did a regrade with it.

Comments

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have held that one for a long time. Nice double eagle! If I had to guess why it wasn’t graded MS61, I would say it is due to the hits near the nose. There may be a touch of friction on the cheek as well. If submitted a few times, you would probably get to MS61 today.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an interesting experience with an Anacs certified 1866 MS60 at the Baltimore show. I tried hard to get it to cross in the holder on several submissions as the spread was large from 58-60. I had Mark Salzberg at the NGC table look at it asking why they would not cross it? He said it wasn't Unc.. Of course that is an opinion. Then I walked the coin over to Anacs and Randy Campbell looked at it and said he liked it and wouldn't mind it being in a 61 holder of theirs.....

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, looks like either way yo will do well on it. I don't generally play the resubmit game but on the chance you can get a bump to 61 on that one it sure looks worth the effort. Good luck!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to tell from the images but from what I see it could wind up in a 61 or 2 holder.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gold coin... from the pictures, I would say it could upgrade in today's grading market....Let us know if you decide to go for it.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2020 7:44AM

Certainly a nice MS60.

I dont make predictions about upgrade sorta like football games are played on a field not paper.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I highly suggest you do not play the upgrade game but instead send that coin in that old NGC slab to CAC. It would not surprise me if you could get a gold sticker which would be worth even more than an upgrade. Ask JA if you should submit this slabbed coin to PCGS for a cross upgrade.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file