jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your videos.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    LongarmLongarm Posts: 89 ✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    Thanks @Longarm

How much does one of those bars weigh in your video, about 15lbs? Definitely Some bricks...

I see you have the Devil Forge propane furnace... I really like the consistency of those... I’ve been playing around with a primitive charcoal furnace, but enjoying the process until I upgrade to LP gas.

In my opinion, Free Copper is the best Copper, I just finished another video where I get some by scrapping some lights... check it out here...

https://youtu.be/dRurhGj2gks

Keep melting, and preheat those molds!

Those bars from the steel molds are only 5-6 lbs. but the ones in the sand casting video are 10 pounders.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice video @LukeMarshall ! Keep them up!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2020 4:10PM

@Longarm said:
    Haha, nice to meet another scrapper. Since I got my HVAC certification a few years back all I've been scrapping is AC's and I've still got a pile of compressors to clean. That's a nice stripper you have, never seen one like that, I usually just sell the smaller wire.

@Longarm HVAC certification would come in handy, I’ve scrapped two large AC compressors that were already de-pressurized ( I turned the corner and literally saw the AC repairman putting one on the curb, as well as the condenser fan and blower motor- so I grabbed them as well.

I’ve got several motors I need to finish processing, maybe another video??

Yeah, I just sold all the stranded wires I’ve been collecting, but the light wires were just big enough to break down... plus it made for good TV IMO.

Thanks and welcome to the Forums!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@LukeMarshall
    Yeah, I've made a lot of money off that class, even though I don't do it much. I get mostly wire (110 and 220) out of the houses I remodel, I must have over a thousand pounds waiting to be stripped. But I do get a lot from electric motors and compressors, here's a pic of what you can get out of a 3 hp motor and a 3 ton compressor.

And here's my copper barrel, which when filled holds around 600 lbs. but is only about two thirds full now.

Thanks for the welcoming, being new around here means I'm still learning the ropes.

• Options

Watched your video on making your furnace, too bad it wasn't around when I did my first one. That's why I got the Devils Forge and I'm even thinking of getting another, imagine the bars I could crank out with 2 furnaces going.

• Options

@Longarm
    The devil forge is definitely an awesome turnkey operation, I know I’m kinda holding myself back with the charcoal furnace, but for me it’s like starting at the bottom so I can enjoy the challenges (and shortcomings) and educate myself along the way. Over my next few videos I’ll push it to the limit (and probably blow it up) and get started on the next venture... my own propane furnace complete with ceramic/zirconium wool, and refractory.
    I haven’t been in a rush and with the Rainy season upon us it’s been putting a damper on things, but all in good time.
    Enjoy yourself out there keep it up, those bars are nice.

• Options

I think it's a really good idea showing folks how to do these things, so I look forward to more of your videos. It's so hot here in Texas that I'm waiting till fall to melt again, but I've got a couple of new ideas thanks to you.

• Options

Hey Y'all,

I was only able to get in one melt this last month with all the rain, and hurricanes and all...

Check this one out, I think you will find it entertaining B)

https://youtu.be/ksgObA1rsSQ

• Options

Nice video! Really enjoyed it.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall Really glad to see you back and melting again. I was worried that all the storms had affected you in a bad way.

The bar looks great! Grandkids love the coins and they have replaced the plastic ones I had sent them in their treasure chest. Did I hear you say you were going to cast 24K gold coins next?

Take care, can't wait for the video.

• Options

Nice! Your finally getting to melt the silver! Pretty nice bar. Can’t wait for the video!

• Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    I’ve been on hiatus but beautiful weather this weekend and a grab bag of broken sterling from members here (thank you) yielded this beauty... a quarter kilo on the nose of Sterling Silver. The front was polished and the back left alone (I didn’t want to mess with the colors). I’ll be putting together a video of the experience but wanted to give my fellow forumites a sneak peek. Y’all have a good night.

it gives me great pleasure to see some of my metal detecting finds help produce such a thing of beauty! Thanks Luke!

• Options
    edited October 19, 2020 6:14AM

@Klif50 glad the kiddos like their treasure! We lucked out with no damage from all the storms, but the sheer number of them and all of the preparations made for great disruptions. It could have been way worse, for us, and I feel for all those on the gulf coast that did get hit.

@Kliao yes, it’s been a long time coming...thank you very much for your contributions to the bar!

@roob47 Metal detecting finds, I didn’t realize but that is awesome! I appreciate you sending them my way, and indeed they transformed quite nicely!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool bar! :)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome video!
    So enjoying these vicariously 😎

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    https://youtu.be/pDFA9VlHMfM

I finally melted silver in the backyard charcoal foundry and put together the video to tell the story. Hope you enjoy my first silver pour... (and any other distractions I get drawn to)

That video was outstanding!

• Options

Really nice video. Enjoyed it. And got one last look at the sterling handles before they got melted that I bashed the heck out of :) .

• Options

@LukeMarshall said:
    https://youtu.be/pDFA9VlHMfM

I finally melted silver in the backyard charcoal foundry and put together the video to tell the story. Hope you enjoy my first silver pour... (and any other distractions I get drawn to)

Great video, just watched it, I've got a couple of pounds of sterling I need to turn into a bar.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool video. I just subscribed... :)

• Options

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I appreciate y’all taking the journey with me as I explore the hobby. All the more that the videos are being enjoyed as a direct line of sight into my little world. I’ve got some more ideas for future projects and will keep everyone posted!

• Options

@LukeMarshall said:
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I appreciate y’all taking the journey with me as I explore the hobby. All the more that the videos are being enjoyed as a direct line of sight into my little world. I’ve got some more ideas for future projects and will keep everyone posted!

Check this vid out by Silver Dragons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWgMKJaSb8w

• Options
    edited October 29, 2020 6:37PM

@Longarm said:

Nice. I recently picked up a pair of those very same flasks, and a bunch of delft clay / petrobond ( can you guess what I’ll be doing soon? )

I like how you can really get some good detail with this method... Can’t wait to try it out!

• Options

@LukeMarshall said:

@Longarm said:

Nice. I recently picked up a pair of those very same flasks, and a bunch of delft clay / petrobond ( can you guess what I’ll be doing soon? )

I like how you can really get some good detail with this method... Can’t wait to try it out!

I tried petrobond and didn't really like it, check out the green sand olivine, it's reusable and it holds its shape really well.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuDqZcH_1FU

We reached a milestone over on the Youtubes... 100 Subscribers so I thought it fitting to do a little celebration and a giveaway.

In this video we try something new and melt .999 silver into 1oz Silver bars & stamp them with our "logo". They came out pretty nice and one lucky subscriber will be taking one home.

If anyone wants to enter in the drawing, head on over there, read the description, and leave me a comment (on this video and one other)

Thanks again for all the support, on Youtube, and here at Collectors Universe

Cheers

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your video productions are great!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I really enjoyed this video, especially the sparks flying that you attributed to moisture in the charcoal. You said propane furnace is next? What about an electric furnace? Seems like Blue Bus Dave on youtube.com did some melting with an electric furnace complete with temperature gauge. I have no idea what one of those would cost.

During the big silver/gold run up in the 1970's I remember a guy coming in to the coin shop and buying sterling silver flatware and random .999 bars and melting all of it down and then alloying or something to get to .999 (not sure what he was mixing in to get there) and then pouring the 1 ounce bars, polishing them and then stamping them with a press. I know it was a whole lot of work for what at the time was worth almost $50 an ounce but then silver died and he was stuck with a lot of silver that cost a lot more than he could sell it for. Sorry, one of those late night memories that bubble up sometime.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are progressing by leaps and bounds. Thanks for making the videos and I'd like to meet the really deep bass voiced individual that makes some of your voice overs :)

• Options

Appreciate that @Klif50
    Originally I thought the embers were from the large pieces that I had left outside which got some moisture, but thinking more about it, I did pour the bottom of the charcoal bag in there, and all the powder!

Yes I have all the materials to build a propane furnace, and once I'm finished messing with this charcoal thing I will build that (and try to get more melts in) The charcoal furnace is a bit restrictive with its deterioration so Ive been careful to fire it up when I have a purpose - it the last several cases it was experimenting with new metals - Sterling, and .999 Silver. I am already starting to do research on electric furnaces that can reach gold/silver melting temps... I think something like that would really help in the casting-in-mold process that I tried in the last video, without such detrimental effects on the mold itself.

Thanks for the support and I maybe one day I’ll be in your neck of the woods , I’ll bring the voiceover guy :D

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Your video productions are great!

Much appreciated @jmski52 , I’m having fun with these.
    I’ve done all these videos in an app which has worked well, but eventually ide like to learn some more programs to be able to take this a step further and explore some of my other ideas that currently aren’t possible with the app.

Thanks for watching, and thanks again for the kind words.

• Options

Merry Christmas y’all!

https://youtu.be/aNz4VMZY-JY

• Options

Nice video! Merry Christmas!

• Options

Great job. Every pour is better than the last. I love the ornament on the tree!
    Marry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

• Options

Cinco de Mayo.
    Wow it’s Been a minute since I’ve updated this thread. A lot has been going on since the new year, but I have had the opportunity to get a few short videos in.

The first one was a video I put together for my fans who love to provide me with copper to melt... lol enjoy

https://youtu.be/c6-dVZyjHzU

• Options

Next I made a sort of recap video showcasing all the melting and such from my first year in this hobby... my editing software added a feature which added for a cool effect in this one!

https://youtu.be/sbKgwGfegJo

• Options

The most recent addition to the video library, is a short video in honor of my first commission.
    In an early video I made some pirate coins and ended up sending some to a guy that goes by Pirate Stacker.
    He liked them so much he commissioned me to make some for his fans. We got a special stamp made for this one and they came out Marvelous IMO.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/urBSla2Snws

• Options

Always love your videos! Nice job Luke!