Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

when to sell Walking Liberties for just silver prices

rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

I have a fairly large batch of circulated Walking Liberties - part of a small hoard of coins that I inherited. I decided I need to sell these off. I've been resigning myself that most of these are going to bring just junk silver pricing. But I have seen some dealers selling coins in the grades I have for more than junk silver.

My next batch to sell are the more recent dates (40s) with a grade of Fine and some VGs. I'm assuming the best I'll get is junk silver pricing on these, but I'd like to get feedback. Opinions?

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, anything in the 40’s in the grades you mentioned are just bullion. The same goes for the dates in the 30’s as well, except the’38D.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

If you have early dates in those grades, there could be some numismatic value. You should consult a Redbook, Greysheet, or Coinfacts.
    But unfortunately most of the hoard coins I come across the early dates are generally heavily worn.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price of silver is now high ... SELL!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2020 9:30PM

The last time that gold was at $1,600+ silver was at $30. So, silver has a way to go, me thinks.

bob :)
    I agree, melt. I'm sure someone on the BST would do a deal with you and that would save ebay fees, or whatever.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep just junk silver, currently about $6.68 each. I personally stopped buying when they went over $6.00

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now is the time to sell and the BST, absent any local buyers, is a great venue....no fees....Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2020 5:16AM

At some point, the melt value exceeds the numismatic value. There aren't enough people willing to pay a markup above $6.50+ to add a VG-F coin to there albums, so they are worth melt.

If you're trying to move these, you shouldn't feel resigned to the fact that they are only worth melt, you should be pleased because you'll get a higher price than you would have selling them as collectable coins and

Sometimes, as collectors, we have a perception that certain coins are better than common silver. A walker was always better than a common 64 Kennedy and a merc was always better than Roosevelt from the 60s. But high previous metal prices changed that.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Well done!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might want to check them for a couple of nice doubled dies that can be found in the '40s. The two best are on the 1942 and 1946. In low grade they aren't worth a lot but considerably more than junk silver. Images can be found here-
    http://varietyvista.com/

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

You did well with them!!

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 2:07PM

Now, three weeks later, silver is down considerably - near 10.5x face as I type. Makes me glad I cashed-in a good portion of my silver at 13x.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 3:24PM

Put them in rolls list on bay at melt or 5 pct less they will bid them up. Lay out the coins like treasure so the can see them all.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I regularly hand pick Walkers that date back to 1917, along with Barber Halves for melt at my LCS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file