Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1927 D Peace Dollar struck through what?

Had this coin many years and decided to finally figure out if my conclusions are correct. I think it is struck through sand paper.
What do you think?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not struck-thru...... damaged.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thought is a rusted die. But just a guess.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see how that could be a struck through without an outline of the strike through object.
    I have to disagree on this one and say damage, looks peened.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin came back "damaged". That implies that it was brought to its current state after it left the Mint.

You may be partially correct.

It might have been "hammered" thru sandpaper. Best guess by me.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

They had better called that coin Altered Surfaces: DAMAGED!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options
    GrouchGrouch Posts: 10 ✭✭

Notice only the high points have impressions. Check the nose and nostril area......no impressions in the lows.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Grouch said:
    Notice only the high points have impressions. Check the nose and nostril area......no impressions in the lows.

How could an object like a piece of sandpaper leave a strike through impression on the most recessed area of the die (high points) and the lowest points of the die (the field) but miss the the areas you noted? Coins are struck with tons of force.

Or maybe it could just be damage like others have said.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Could be grit from sand paper or as has been suggested, rust or other debris somehow accumulated in the high points.

• Options

The presses of that era were vertical, correct? Obverse and reverse opposite and aligned vertically, correct? Gravity could cause an accumulation in the lower die.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be millions of things.

It is not, it is PMD. :/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'damage' is visible in fields, on the image and on some letters.... Notably absent in a few areas such as below the chin, neck, in front of the eye and above the hair. These areas can be seen as 'protected' due to design configuration. It would indicate post mint pressure applied with a rough medium on the obverse. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what it is, but it almost certainly is not a strike trough.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these forums because crowdsourced answers here are rarely wrong, and they come at a very reasonable price. I think of it as “wikigrading”.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Grouch said:

There are no "protected areas" in a struckthru.

As was mentioned, there would have been an outline of the edges of the paper.

You are approaching this from the wrong direction. It should be presumed to be PMD unless/until proven otherwise, not the other way around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file