Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Miracle on Ice turns 40

40 years ago today... still gives me chills to see Rizzo score the winning goal and (obviously) hear Michaels’ call to end the game. I was 8 at the time, living in Pittsburgh - not yet a hockey crazy city like it became later, but I remember jumping into a huge celebratory pile with the 4 boys next door when the game ended.

I don’t yet have any memorabilia from the game - yet. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine :smiley: I do, however, have a DVD I burned when ESPN aired the game in its entirety a number of years ago - assuming 15 years ago for the 25th anniversary, but not sure. I don’t know how often the game has been aired since that day 40 years ago, but I know it’s not often (yes, it’s on YouTube and I stream plenty from the various providers, but I’m old school so having a DVD of it is much more important to me). I WILL watch it today.

I know we’ve got Miracle collectors out there. Anyone want to share their memorabilia pics?

Jim

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I was too young to remember it live but I can’t think of any sporting event I wish I was at. It was basically a real life Rocky IV. This only memorabilia I have . The ticket stub has been on my want list for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger yet

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once heard of a bus driver for team USA that night.
    He asked for their signatures on a stick before the game.
    Go figure.

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Mike Eruozione is from the town I live in. The town named the hockey rink after him. I've never met the man.

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

I was actually there! Our family had just moved to Upstate NY from Omaha. We didn't get IN the arena but gathered with a huge crowd outside, waiting for minute to minute updates!! The crowd went CRAZY when the game was over. I will never forget that day.... I was not really at hockey fan, but being an American on that day and defeating the powerful Russians was truely and incredible experience! My younger brother was there too (I was 16 and he was 13) and we just talked about this last night. It made an indelible memory for him and my mother also!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why some news outlets neglect to mention that the US team defeated Finland for the Gold, not Russia. This past weekend one of the major news outlets did not mention that they won the gold against Finland, just that the US defeated the Russians. Some people thought the gold was won against the Russians. Yes it was quite the accomplishment defeating the Russians, but if they had not won the gold would it have meant as much to the players if they lost the gold?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I think it’s similar to the 2004 Red Sox coming back from the dead to beat the Yankees in the alcs. The actual World Series was less memorable to me

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I don't know why some news outlets neglect to mention that the US team defeated Finland for the Gold, not Russia. This past weekend one of the major news outlets did not mention that they won the gold against Finland, just that the US defeated the Russians. Some people thought the gold was won against the Russians. Yes it was quite the accomplishment defeating the Russians, but if they had not won the gold would it have meant as much to the players if they lost the gold?

This isn't exactly true. It was a round robin, not a semi-final/final situation. In fact, Finland finished fourth.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

There are 10 very cool dudes left from that team.

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

I have this in the collection.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

This isn't exactly true. It was a round robin, not a semi-final/final situation. In fact, Finland finished fourth.

Yes, technically I agree. But the fact remains that if the US lost to the Fins, Russia would of got the gold. Which is all that really mattered.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 8:16PM

I was at a Pheasants Forever banquet a few weeks ago in Madison WI. On silent auction was a stick signed by Badger and Olympian Mark Johnson. I should have bought it. WIsconsin Johnson led the Olympic team in goals.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Suter played Defense for the Badgers and the Olympic team. He signed this piece of paper for me when I was in youth hockey.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is so sad to read about what's become of Mark Pavelich these days.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miracle on ice =

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 7:06AM

test