Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

is it safe to say that most people still do a Coin show "wantlist"?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2020 8:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My wantlist for next week's show is still broad and a lacks direction...very much like me most days! :D I read a few suggestions online that say to limit focus to just a few things when preparing for a show. I think I need to work on that area. I present to you, my current list. I plan to table some of this for various reasons, (mostly for additional research in areas I am still not 100% comfortable) between now and next Thursday but here goes:

-Graded Steel Cent with natural but "unique" toning
-26-S Mercury Dime
-31-S Mercury Dime
-Early Walking Liberty Halves in F/VF(the "tough" dates 17-S, 19-D all the 21s, 23-S)
-At least a dozen or more Morgan Dollar Vams
-Bay Bridge Commem
-Stone Mountain Commem
-Vermont Commem
-Rattlers, older holders
-Dan Carr/Moonlight mint issues
-Perth Mint Australian Lunar Silver Bullion
-Silver Art bars with several various themes
-Hand poured silver
-US Emergency currency issued in Hawaii and North Africa
-Battleship $2 bill
-Mexican Reales and Pesos from the late 1800s
-Canadian Silver Dollars from the early to mid 1900s
-Fractional Gold Bullion
and I have become a bit intrigued by the shipwreck cobs

Wow! It looks even worse written on the preview board than it does on the handful of napkins on which I have been jotting them down! ;) Good grief! What the heck am I doing? I can't buy everything, right? The truth is I may have this grand plan, but in reality, as soon as I walk onto the bourse floor, start talking to people and looking at the cases and cases of amazing inventory or hundreds of years of history, it could all be 100% different that I planned. That's the great thing about this hobby. You never know what you're going to see or have the chance to acquire....and that's fine with me! Thanks for taking the time to read this. Feel free to comment if you choose. I love this forum and the people who make it worth the time to visit when time permits. ALL OF YOU! <3B)

Comments

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's broad enough you'll probably find something ... LOL.

I usually have somewhere between one and three things I'm really looking for. I try to leave open the possibility that something else will really jump out and grab me, but the "wow!" to price ratio has to be pretty good if it's not what I went there seeking.

mirabela
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no list when I go to shows I'm there to look not buy or sell. I may have one or two items that I'll look for and perhaps something will reach out and grab me, but 99% of the time I leave with my wallet unmolested.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

I used to have a small wallet sized notebook that had many pages filled out.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a "list". I know in my head if I see something I like/need. And I have a list in my head. Nothing on paper.

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do look for holders. Still hoping to find an NGC black or white rattler. You never know. Last show I was at, a dealer had 2 1938-D Buffalo's in doily holders. Gold CAC on MS65 coins. Was asking $695 each. Had to pass. But..... you never know. Good luck.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice, broad list. I guess you will have to experience the show and see how it goes. It will be a good learning experience.

You list three commems. If I was in the market for them, a show would be where I would look. I think that you need to see several next to each other to get a feel for them.

Art bars, imo, should be priced as bullion unless they are "rare". If they are not, you can find them cheaper elsewhere. eBay is littered with them. If you find a guy with a bunch of art bars, he is a motivated seller more than likely, so I would try to get a good deal. I almost never ask a seller to lower their price. I know that may sound weird. But I'd make an art bar exception.

Have fun and take pictures.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Huge list hallco, good luck. My "list" would be the holes I need to fill in the album's I have been working on for about nine years now..

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I often went to shows (when I lived out west) with one or two items I was looking for... usually in a series. Always looked for '64 mint sets with an AH Kennedy...Most of the time though, I was just looking and if a purchase was made, it was something that just had to come home with me... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! When I go I have no more than 5 coins on my list in order of priority with research of auction sold prices over the past year. I am happy to leave with 3 coins.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020 7:45AM

Written want lists never worked for me, I basically think it’s because I’m looking for condition of a coin first over just having an example, so if say for example, I’m looking for a 1909 S VDB-Is it a 65 in PCGS brand holder, RB in at least 50% RED with foil like spinning mint luster at arms length, spots? Devoid of scattershot fly specs under a loupe, washed in beautiful target toning....bla bla blah..... even if I was looking for a honest XF 45 it’s gotta have a look I like......

Even if were into commemoratives, I should know I need a Vermont in my head and the one I ultimately select should punch me in the face Kewl the second I lay eyes on it at a show. Or what if a new coin or an upgrade with WOW factor speaking to me is at the show, am I not gonna buy it cause it’s not on the list I made before hand?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I collected world coins, My want list was in the KM catalogue which I used for a checklist. If I didn't have it, it was on my list!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes I still have a want list and have found a few. ill keep looking as well

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a dozen or more graded VAMs come into the shop, recently. Spam ?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wantlist for next week's show is still broad and a lacks direction.

I suppose it might be nice to have a handy list of what I need to fill various "Holes" in different collections, but if I were to walk around with it in-hand I'd never get through a large show even once. I usually have a few items I'm trying to find and let it go after that, but the list is still handy if I get bored.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

My " want " list usually is focused on upgrading my Registry sets. That being said, I know in my head what Roosies I need to upgrade. Franklin and Kennedys I simply bring up our hosts website, access my Registry sets and Wa La !!!
    As for any other purchases, If it catches my eye and the price is right I'll go for it. But my main focus being the Registry sets, my 1st trip through concentrates on those upgrades. In most cases " window shopping " for the aforementioned " eye catchers " comes later.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first casualty in a battle is the battle plan. Report please./

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I typically have a "want list", but it doesn't preclude me from looking at other coins not on "the list"... especially if I'm getting to the end of a show and I haven't found what I was initially there for.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to Long Beach and had no list.

Came home with 3 coins.

Gave Ian 4 Coins.

Dropped off 40 coins for error certification.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

My want list is in my head.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't have a "list". I know in my head if I see something I like/need. And I have a list in my head. Nothing on paper.

This

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I got to a coin show, I want almost everything, and put it on "the list".

Does that count?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from upgrades to my Roosie (and a couple other) sets, I enter a show on the lookout for eye-appealing PQ coins (and currency) that are priced reasonably and within my budget. I may prioritize some series or era at any given time. Other than that, there's usually no set buying agenda.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2020 6:50PM

Do you mean like this?

Sorry for the lengthy photo's.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've also seen a change from paper notes to notes on tablets phones etc. I always notice ppl still leaving them on the table after a purchase. Im always able to track them down after and return it.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've made lists for my Nolan Ryan collection and for my US type set, but I've never taken a list to a sports card show or coin show. For me just the exercise of making the list allows me to remember what I'm looking for. For coins it's easy as it's a US type set and it's easy to know what I need as the list is small. What amazes me today is I did that with my Nolan Ryan collection with over 3,000 baseball cards and I can still tell today when I see a Nolan Ryan card I don't have.

In short I make lists, but I like winging it and buying what catches my eye and don't have yet. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2020 5:42PM

I just take my Book on early 20th century US Gold (Akers) to show, search bourse. If its not checked off (have it) then I am a buyer.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2020 9:21PM

Thank you for all the replies. Focused, relevant, serious, informative and comical...love em! I think part of my issue is I am not a set builder and have trouble sticking to a particular series. I "thought" I was only going to pursue Walkers and Mercs this time around, but you people just keep posting a bunch of other cool stuff on a regular basis and it causes me to like a lot of it! :D As you can probably tell, I'm excited about the show. Yes @smudge I will do my best to come up with a show report and if I remember correctly....Dahlonega Gold, yes? And @thisistheshow...as you have seen, my attempt at coin photography is subpar, but I will try to get a few pics that might be interesting. None will be planes, food, liquor or local attractions. I will stay coin related 100% B)

And @joeykoins...I could only hope to be that organized! Lol!!!

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Private message sent.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    And @joeykoins...I could only hope to be that organized! Lol!!!

LOL. I actually keep this mega list folded up in my wallet! Just in case wherever I go. One never knows, right. My personal all-time cherry pick list. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file