Home U.S. Coin Forum

One very cool Lincoln error, one not so... What happened?

OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

A member of my coin club is an avid roll searcher and he brought in these last night for me to photograph. The first appears to be some kind of brockage and a pretty high grade. The second, (sorry for the blurry pics, I shot it hand held) has a raised blob of metal around the mintmark. How'd they happen, and should he have the first one slabbed? Also would appreciate an estimated value range on the first one.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    The first one appears to be a dramatic counter-brockage error. That is a neat coin and has some value.

This!!!

A very nice coin and would be a good candidate to get certified.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 3:22PM

The first one is gorgeous!

Edited to add: To have that much spread and still be so sharp is phenomenal.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow very neat penny!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's a roll find!

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

first coin-get it slabbed

second coin-spend

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a scale of 1 to 10, the first coin is a ten. See date for my supporting data. I can't see a 9. :).

• Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    First coin is a massive counter brockage. Here is how they occur:

• a coin is struck normally, but fails to eject from between the dies;
    • a second planchet is fed on top of the first coin, and is struck by the dies. This second coin has a normal obverse and a full brockage reverse (the obverse design is impressed into the planchet);
    • the full brockage sticks to the obverse die, becoming a die cap;
    • a new blank is fed into the chamber, when struck it will have a normal reverse and a distorted obverse, because it is being struck not by the hard steel obverse die but a copper planchet
    • As the obverse die cap strikes more coins, it thins and expands, causing the incuse image to grow and get thinner, until finally it is completely obliterated.

The OP's coin is probably the second or third strike from the obverse die cap, the design has expanded but there is still quite a bit of detail. It is a very eye-catching error and probably worth getting certified.

The second one is PMD and can be spent.

Sean Reynolds

Sean - that's a great reply! If I were the OP, that's exactly what I'd be looking for, in order to learn!

Wish I would come across something like that first coin! Guess sometimes it pays to roll search! Maybe someday....

And, I agree - that should be slabbed!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is an amazing roll find..... @seanq....Thanks for the detailed process breakdown.... Cheers, RickO

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the help. Knew you guys would have the answers.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find for sure!

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

WOW!!!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Counterbrockages are cool, one of my two favorite "simple" error types.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat! I'm normally not into mechanical errors but I'd love to own the first one pictured.

• happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

That's an awesome CRH find! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file