Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this Seated Liberty Dollar?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2020 1:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a Seated Liberty Dollar that I've been following and thought looked nice. It sold before I could free up enough budget. It's still a good chunk of change so I figured I'd ask what the board members thought of it.

It's graded PCGS PR63 non-CAC. Any idea why it wouldn't have CACed?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37584781

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I see ... I like it!

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Toning pattern is consistent with a dip and retone. Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of. Also a few major ticks on reverse and some scratches on liberty's leg. I would pass and find a better example.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an old dip and more surface marks than I would like to see. The eye-appeal of proof coins deteriorates rapidly as the grade declines. This is because the mirror surfaces accent any marks.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you certain it was tried at CAC and didn't pass?

If your budget is confining you PF63, you probably realize you need to accept some minor issues.
    Find a piece that YOU can live with.
    With that price spread to the next grade up, you can bet most of the 'strong' 63's are probably in 4 holders now.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2020 7:02AM
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice proof and - as MFeld said - proofs are difficult to grade from pictures....lighting etc.,....I accept the grade given by our hosts in this case due to some marks I can see on Liberty's legs...Price is an important consideration for most collectors, however, each collector must also live with their decisions....at least for a while ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 19, 2020 7:04AM

Here are the top pops:

1860 Seated Liberty Dollar - PCGS PR66 POP 10/0 CAC - Hansen

Queller Family Collection - Heritage 4/2008:2157, $27,600 - Eugene H. Gardner Collection, Part III - Heritage 5/2015:98581, $24,675 - Heritage 10/2015:3389, $22,325 - D.L. Hansen Collection

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/25658717

1860 Seated Liberty Dollar - PCGS PR66 POP 10/0 - Simpson

Heritage 2/2003:7990, $16,100 - Heritage 5/2003:6472, $17,250 - Bob R. Simpson Collection

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/30135111

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins, you posted MS. This one is proof.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2020 7:05AM

@topstuf said:
    Zoins, you posted MS. This one is proof.

Should all be corrected now.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2020 7:39AM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Are you certain it was tried at CAC and didn't pass?

No, but I'd be surprised this coin wasn't tried.

Is this type of coin commonly not attempted at CAC?

If your budget is confining you PF63, you probably realize you need to accept some minor issues.
    Find a piece that YOU can live with.
    With that price spread to the next grade up, you can bet most of the 'strong' 63's are probably in 4 holders now.

It's more that I like the TrueView, but yes, there are scratches on Liberty's leg and other distractions on this piece. Thanks to everyone for pointing these out.

Other pieces look a bit dark to me from the TrueViews so I would love to see them in hand.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

**It's more that I like the TrueView, **

I agree - the Trueview image is very flattering, and the coin looks like a 4.
    The slab images, not so much....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the next hunt B) It's a beautiful coin but giving a slight doubt + the tag .... maybe it's good you missed it :)

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing the yes or no on CAC examination would be a good thing to know.
    At this level of price, it has a bean or it's someone else's coin. B)

Didn't always feel this way, but sure do now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file