Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins on TV Tonight- NCIS Show

CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

The new episode of NCIS tonight has numismatics playing a big part of the plot. A 1870-S Silver Dollar is found with a retired Navy sailor when he commits suicide. I am still watching the episode so don't know how it ends but they did a pretty good job with the numismatic details especially for a mainstream TV show.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

Comments

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the end of it!!

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched it and was just going to start my own post until I saw this.

I won’t say any spoilers so I’ll just stop here (for now).

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...keep us informed...

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have it in my DVR,,,,,, will have to watch it soon.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one point in the dialogue, the owner of the 70S referred to his daughter’s intended as a tarnished common quarter, and in another scene the 70S looked untoned and I thought I saw hairlines too. And it didn’t look like a Seated coin at all!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    At one point in the dialogue, the owner of the 70S referred to his daughter’s intended as a tarnished common quarter, and in another scene the 70S looked untoned and I thought I saw hairlines too. And it didn’t look like a Seated coin at all!

The owner said his daughter deserved a partner as special as the rare silver dollar, whereas her boyfriend was comparable to a tarnished common quarter.

The coin in the show looked like some kind if fantasy issue.

Nice to see a coin as a central part of the show, though. Probably the best coin-themed show since the original Hawaii Five-0 had the 1913 Liberty nickel.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@EVillageProwler said:

The owner said his daughter deserved a partner as special as the rare silver dollar, whereas her boyfriend was comparable to a tarnished common quarter.

Nice to see a coin as a central part of the show, though. Probably the best coin-themed show since the original Hawaii Five-0 had the 1913 Liberty nickel.

Actually, in the one scene late, it did have a seated liberty figure on the one side. It seemed to be very shallow relief.

It was a great episode, coin or no coin.

I did laugh every time someone was tossing the coin around with their bare hands. LOL. I could just feel some of you squirming. At one point, he even has it in his pocket loose.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

NCIS is one show I try to catch - not always successful though...I did see last nights episode (another engagement was cancelled).... The 'coin' did play a prominent role throughout the episode. I will say, for an extremely valuable coin, it was treated poorly throughout... handling etc.. Obviously not a real one, and the finer points of coin care were certainly not the focus....Good episode though... the old Aunt was still drinking martini's .... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that episode, and am a fan of NCIS. I thought the episode last night was silly--using 4 main actors to portray 4 additional characters? That doesn't work. Even the way that coin was displayed on a little stand in the cabinet seemed off.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@EVillageProwler said:

Actually, in the one scene late, it did have a seated liberty figure on the one side. It seemed to be very shallow relief.

It was a great episode, coin or no coin.

I did laugh every time someone was tossing the coin around with their bare hands. LOL. I could just feel some of you squirming. At one point, he even has it in his pocket loose.

In some scenes it was in a clear capsule while in other scenes it appeared to be totally raw. The design appeared to be a pattern unlike what you would expect a Seated Liberty Dollar to look like.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I am just watching this episode. In the first few minutes the lady says that numismatics is the study of currency while holding an 1870-S Seated Liberty Dollar, in googling the word it does mention that it is the study of coins and currency. At least some definations do. Most don't mention currency and that is the camp I am in as well. Why say currency while talking about a coin?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2020 9:44PM

From the television program NCIS "Ephemera" episode shown February 18, 2020:

Silver dollar obverse and reverse shown early in the program\
    This is an obvious prop coin

Silver dollar obverse shown later
    This one looks like a real Seated Liberty dollar

The program had an interesting story about a rare coin theft, a murder, an exhumation, and finally a happy resolution.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the My Three Sons episode where Ernie loses his 1914D Lincoln and blames Chip?

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2020 1:41PM

Sounds interesting.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji