Home U.S. Coin Forum

1812/1 large 8 capped bust half dollar

I looked at getting graded pcgs and looks like 300 to 350$. It's looks like scratches on the coin but there to straight and go underneath letting that isn't. And a comparison on pcgs website I found the same marks they just show up on my coin more. It appears to be stamped over a older image? Was just looking for a little advice on if it would be worth the grading fee to get graded. Coin came from a remodel on a house built in 1786 40 years ago. And hasn't been touched in the past 40 years till now. And how it was found in the house don't think it was touched for many years. Thanks for any advice..

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crop your pictures.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

she is the O-103 R1 not O-101 R5 sorry....

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @habaraca said above, it is not the scarce 1812/1 Large 8.

Almost all of those lines are scratches/damage. The one you see underneath lettering (50C on the lower reverse) is a known die crack.

Sad. The coin appears to have a nice patina. But because of the prevalent damage it is not worth the expense of grading.

Still, it is a fun coin to own with probably a great story to tell. Many early half dollars were tested by merchants to ensure they were silver and not counterfeits made from base metals. Maybe that explains the old scratches. Share it with friends and family.
    Lance.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 10:31AM

Nice.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old coin with an interesting backstory..... Lance has posted an excellent analysis of your coin. Very good pictures also, thank you.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file