Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold or GOLD?

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold, above $1600/oz.

GOLD closed at $20.58, hit a 52-week high today, plus it pays a divy of 0.28 (1.42%).

Comments

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Paper trading for short term or day trading. Physical for long term. With everyone offering no fee stock and ETF trading day traders prefer to work the manipulated paper market. GLD is a ETF based on actual gold price. Gold is stock in a real company, gold price fluctuations are not the only factors that affect their value.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

knew it would happen sooner or later. glad I didn't sell much on the way up

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only problem with high gold prices is I may be forced to sell some.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'm gonna stick with the real thing.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the real gold coins....So good to feel in hand.... Never entered the paper trading game...and at this time, better to stick with what I know.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do both! Sold JNUG too early. Long NUGT.
    GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020 8:43AM

Safe's full so I like USLV

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@isaiah58 said:
    Paper trading for short term or day trading. Physical for long term. With everyone offering no fee stock and ETF trading day traders prefer to work the manipulated paper market. GLD is a ETF based on actual gold price. Gold is stock in a real company, gold price fluctuations are not the only factors that affect their value.

And nobody reads the prospectus on GLD :D

*The Trust may not have adequate sources of recovery if its gold is lost, damaged,
    stolen or destroyed and recovery may be limited, even in the event of fraud, to the market value of the
    gold at the time the fraud is discovered.

and

Because neither the Trustee nor the Custodian oversees or monitors the activities of
    subcustodians who may temporarily hold the Trust's gold until transported to the Custodian's London
    vault, failure by the subcustodians to exercise due care in the safekeeping of the Trust's gold could
    result in a loss to the Trust.*

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020 2:51PM

gold just hit a seven year high.

Gold equities/ETFs are perfect for the self-managed IRA/401K. Leveraged ETFs (2 and 3 times the price movement, both directions, of the physical stuff) offer excitement for the high roller. Never buy physical gold for your retirement fund. Too difficult to liquidate (if even possible) while being held in an account that has not hit retirement age.

Sure, paper gold carries risk, but very little risk for someone who is self managing his own brokerage account. The ease of buying and liquidating synthetic gold (paper) far outweighs the real stuff. Literally the push of a button, or two. And on-line brokers such as TD Ameritrade offer very cheap transaction costs.

Physical gold is not risk free. It is subject to price fixing (multiple convictions in the past), possible government confiscation (happened once in the past) and outright theft.

So when picking your poison, consider a bit of both. Each serves a unique purpose.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. The double and triple ETFs certainly DO provide excitement.
    Gamblers belong in Vegas. And they get free drinks.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@isaiah58 said:

And nobody reads the prospectus on GLD :D

*The Trust may not have adequate sources of recovery if its gold is lost, damaged,
    stolen or destroyed and recovery may be limited, even in the event of fraud, to the market value of the
    gold at the time the fraud is discovered.

and

Because neither the Trustee nor the Custodian oversees or monitors the activities of
    subcustodians who may temporarily hold the Trust's gold until transported to the Custodian's London
    vault, failure by the subcustodians to exercise due care in the safekeeping of the Trust's gold could
    result in a loss to the Trust.*

Ummmm..... yeah,...... think I will stick with the real thing.

----- kj
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for this debate in allowing me to feel even more comfortable with my physical metal!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Yes. The double and triple ETFs certainly DO provide excitement.
    Gamblers belong in Vegas. And they get free drinks.

Hey. I live in Vegas and I resemble that remark!

Vplite99