Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1926-s buffalo nickel, possible doubled obverse die!

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2020 9:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Take a look at the date on this AG 1926s buffalo nickel, appears to be a new variety. The 2 in the date compares favorably with the 1923s DDO-1. A picture of the date on the 1923s is included here too. The rightmost ribbon tie appears to be distorted.
May be a class VI doubled die at least partially plus ?? But it is a lower grade coin, and would be nice if a higher grade one turned up. Does not look like there was any monkey business done to the 6 in the date. Whatever a very interesting buffalo nickel.
(The photo of the 1923s DDO is the last one}

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a new variety, that's right up your alley. It would probably be much rarer than the 16/16 as "everyone" would keep any 1926-S due to their value.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

That doubling looks as strong as the 1916.. How is this possible?
    It does look funky though, for sure authentic?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited February 19, 2020 6:04AM

@ChrisH821 said:
    That doubling looks as strong as the 1916.. How is this possible?
    It does look funky though, for sure authentic?

How is this possible? Probably was noticed by a sharp eyed inspector and then the obverse die was pulled and destroyed.
    It may be that only a few were struck. Now that this coin is known we will have to wait and see if any more turn up.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 3:13PM

Is that a die chip coming off the rim at 5:00? The date is very difficult to evaluate due to the extreme wear in the area.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new holy grail. :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting... that 6 sure looks as if it is over-stamped....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

quite interesting and i'll keep my eyes out when plowing through the junk buckets. i've bookmarked this thread for a future date.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like PMD to me, but will keep an eye out for similar

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, something new to look for.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's new to me as well. ill keep an eye out

• Options
    edited February 19, 2020 1:58PM

This is a perfect example of why the date should have been recessed like the mint did with the standing liberty quarter in 1925. One way to get more information from this coin’s date would be to blast it with nic-a-date but I would never do that.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much wear to confirm or refute. If one exists for this date and Mint certainly a higher grade exists. Send it to CONECA for an opinion.

• Options

1920-S MD, mentally doubled

• Options
    JetstreamJetstream Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

A drop of Nic-A-Date date restorer will solve this.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jetstream said:
    A drop of Nic-A-Date date restorer will solve this.

If this might be the discovery coin of a new doubled die, nic-a-date is the last thing I would use. That could potentially complicate any authentication. Granted, it's very worn and there is still uncertainty, but why risk it

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So could the date be 20, 26, 28 or 29? Looks tripled to me. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strikes me as a 28 that was damaged when new and has worn down to almost nothing. It really is hard to say, I could also see it as OP presents!

• Options

Here's a 1926-S VF date for comparison:

Pete

• Options
    edited February 20, 2020 6:12AM

..................................... and a 1920-D PCGS 66:

Notice that the braid does not go into the date like the 1926 does.

Pete

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

The inside of the 2 looks PMD.

I can almost see the 9/9 if I use my imagination.

Any photoshop talent in the room that could do an overlay?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is too badly worn to ever merit authentication. It is more likely a coin that was damaged early in its long circulation life and then worn down. To be authenticated another specimen in a much higher grade that clearly shows the abnormality would have to be found.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

too worn to tell if it's doubled or not

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    edited February 20, 2020 9:18AM

If you take the second and the fourth of the four “ovals / indentations” as not being post mint damage, then the top of the 6
    is way to far from top of the upper oval of the six to be anything other than some kind of a doubled die But I do agree that it is too worn to be authenticated. Will forever remain the 1926s “enigma" doubled die obv. And the grade is AG03/VG08
    or at least AG03/G06 which becomes AG03 when we give a single grade especially for a slabbed coin to the lower single grade.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... so the hunt is on!

Maybe the limited mintage and cost of being a key date caused most to bypass the coin.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020 2:33PM

I guess my question would be, why does only the 6 show the severe doubling? I don't see it on the other digits, and if the date was on the hub you should see some decent doubling on the other numbers. Enough of the 2 is there for it to be visible, IMO. I also don't see any on the lower obverse devices.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@BUFFNIXX said:
    If you take the second and the fourth of the four “ovals...then the top of the 6....be anything other than some kind of a doubled die.....Will forever remain the 1926s “enigma" doubled die obv....

oh yeah, yeah, ok.....mmmm, got some crack
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Y6yRfR88rvP44/giphy.gif

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020 6:46PM

@cmerlo1 said:
    I guess my question would be, why does only the 6 show the severe doubling? I don't see it on the other digits, and if the date was on the hub you should see some decent doubling on the other numbers. Enough of the 2 is there for it to be visible, IMO. I also don't see any on the lower obverse devices.

That is a question I had also.

However, I think the date numerals may have been punched individually by hand... and could be the 6 was repunched with a wide distance between the two punches. But perhaps someone with more expertise can clear this up for us.

----- kj
  • Options

I do think the coin is interesting and has potential to be what the OP says... but a second example is needed and with more details.

----- kj
  • Options

And thanks to BUFFNIXX for posting... gives us another one to watch for!

----- kj
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2020 8:43PM

Tincup-the numerals in the date weren't punched in singly.

I believe BUFFNIX is talking about a Class VI (thicker than normal numbers and lettering) doubled die, similar to the one pictured here. If so, his coin is too worn to verify if it is or if it ain't. The 1923 coin in his post is a 1923 Class VI doubled die.

His coin looks like a '26-S to me.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020 10:22PM

@BUFFNIXX said:
    This is a perfect example of why the date should have been recessed like the mint did with the standing liberty quarter in 1925. One way to get more information from this coin’s date would be to blast it with nic-a-date but I would never do that.

Cool find! Sure looks doubled.
    I'm about to go through some dateless buffs, let you know if I come across any '26dd's🧐

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

Cool find! Sure looks doubled.
    I'm about to go through some dateless buffs, let you know if I come across any '26dd's🧐

Good luck. It's difficult enough coming across ANY 26-S Buffs, let alone a DD.

Pete

• Options

@tincup said:
    I do think the coin is interesting and has potential to be what the OP says... but a second example is needed and with more details.

Most certainly another example of slightly higher grade (at least) would be needed to ever get this authenticated.
    But no matter how you slice it a very interesting buffalo nickel. I have told many people you never know what else
    lurks out there in “BUFFALOWORLD”! Standing alone buy it self, as is, you could never prove, or conversely disprove
    that this is a doubled obverse die!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Here is a 1916 doubled die obverse. they do look somewhat alike. I strongly suspect this 1926s is a doubled die but
    because of the wear and lack of a higher grade specimen there is no way to prove it with certainty. I think in the case of
    this 1926s a sharp eyed inspector noticed that the die was defective and it was removed immediately and the few pieces
    made where pulled and destroyed. This still might lead a few floating around that might turn up someday. A plausible but not provable case for this anomaly

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2020 6:27PM

If it was a Class V (where the die rotates from a point at or near the rim) like the 1916/16 shown above then the ribbon ties and other design elements would also be strongly doubled as they are on the 1916.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    If it was a Class V (where the die rotates from a point at or near the rim) like the 1916/16 shown above then the ribbon ties and other design elements would also be strongly doubled as they are on the 1916.

You a most likely correct.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX

any updates?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this. Crazy!

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file