Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1/10 oz American Eagle purchased at spot...

isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2020 4:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The reviews were mixed on Brett Edgell but I found many positives. The ad was on Facebook, then I went to his website and found the promotion. They accepted PayPal, no extra shipping, did not even add taxes. Received this after a week. The promotion is currently out of stock. It appears to come and go often.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past, I have seen 1/10th oz. gold eagles sold at close to melt used as a loss leader to get contact information for the purposes of telemarketing other merchandise that is, shall we say, not so reasonably priced.

Good luck with it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lowest on eBay is $175 so I’d say a very good price. JMO

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect you will be getting a lot of emails and phone calls. Good deal though.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 5:55PM

I've picked up a few 1/10 in these sorts of deals from another seller but back then they were $80-$90. :o

Nice to get some gold.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    In the past, I have seen 1/10th oz. gold eagles sold at close to melt used as a loss leader to get contact information for the purposes of telemarketing other merchandise that is, shall we say, not so reasonably priced.

Good luck with it.

I've picked up these loss leaders from almost every internet bullion company. Most are offering silver rounds, from 5 to 10. Littleton is the only scam and I know better than to order anything from them. Other than emails, none have ever called me.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

With gold at 1600, I can see a lot of 1/10th being sold at 160.00 I would, folks just can bring them selves to buy them at this level when only a few months ago they were 150.00. Many of the gold buying shops around here are paying 85-100 if you can believe that

• Options

@isaiah58 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Good luck with it.

I've picked up these loss leaders from almost every internet bullion company. Most are offering silver rounds, from 5 to 10. Littleton is the only scam and I know better than to order anything from them. Other than emails, none have ever called me.

Actually, Littleton's loss leaders are a great deal. You just have to know how to play the game and not buy anything at full price.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2020 6:45AM

@jdimmick said:
    Many of the gold buying shops around here are paying 85-100 if you can believe that

Fortunately my preferred LCS paid spot for one I sold them several years ago. Hard to believe that with the higher percentage premiums when selling fractional gold that shops would offer below spot.

@JBK said:

@isaiah58 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Good luck with it.

Actually, Littleton's loss leaders are a great deal. You just have to know how to play the game and not buy anything at full price.

My concern was the auto subscription they put you on.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up there.... Often these little gold coins carry larger premiums....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score

• Options

@isaiah58 said:

My concern was the auto subscription they put you on.

Yes, the "selections on approval" is the hitch to avoid. I have ordered many of their "introductory" deals over the years and except for one (which involved currency), the first shipment of approvals that accompanies your original loss-leader purchase are always accompanied by a postage-paid return mailer. (After the first one, you pay the return shipping). So, just make sure to return the extra coins and write "no more approvals" on the invoice and return it in their mailer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file