Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1939-D & 1950-D Jefferson Nickel Keys Dates

PCGS_SocialMediaPCGS_SocialMedia Posts: 310 mod
edited February 18, 2020 11:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickels have been around since 1938, but despite the long run of this popular series, it has not spawned many truly rare dates among the regular issues. Only a handful of regular-issue business strikes saw mintages of less than 10 million pieces, but two circulation issues saw relatively small mintages of fewer than 5 million apiece, the 1939-D and 1950-D.

The Denver Mint struck only 3,514,000 examples of the 1939 Jefferson Nickel in 1939, making the 1939-D Jefferson Nickel the scarcest five-cent coin the Denver Mint had produced since it began striking the denomination in 1912, a little more than a decade later, in 1950, 2,630,030 would be struck.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/affordable-yet-scarce-1939-d-and-1950-d-jefferson-nickel-key-dates

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never did find a 1950-D Nickel in circulation. I did find all of the other ones.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 12:02PM

As I said in another recent thread, I looked thru a lot of coins as a young coin collector hunting for a 09s vdb cent, 16d dime and 50d nickel. (My mom worked for a local gumball vending company so I got to look thru bags and bags of coins, when I wanted to) Never found any of them. :(

But now I have several 09s vdb cents, a couple of 16d dimes and one 50d nickel, all in PCGS slabs of course. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep promising myself (and my wife) to go through the huge jar of nickels I have accumulated from pocket change...I thought maybe today, since it started to snow...but it stopped :D So, heading out to do something else...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted these back in the day when I was a wee lad ie not fat.lol

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, I could never find a 1950-D nickel in change so I bought a Mint State one from a dealer some 50 years ago. Fast forward 22 years and I was then an adult, and one day I was buying a sandwich out of the vending machine at work and out popped an AU 1950-D in my change.

• Options
    CoinshowmanCoinshowman Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I found a 50D in change 10 or so years ago. Probably my biggest numismatic thrill. Still hoping to find a 39D one of these days.

Successful Forum transactions in the last couple of years with: jwitten, liefgold, goldcoin98. Older transactions with shortrgapbob, abitofthisabitofthat, Duxbutt, Morgansforever, Elkevvo, Dunerlaw, Pwrful4, Billet7, AUandAG, pragmaticgoat, MPLunatic, Rob41281, holeinone1972, AnkurJ, OregonCityGold, Inditonka, Colorfulcoins, cohodk, Mission16, kieferscoins
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve gotten a nicely circulated 39d in change but never did get the 50d. I got a nice cheap example for my nickel album. Still missing a few slots. I should finish it up someday...

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never found either date in change, but have found the 1950, along with the 1939-P and S.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

1939-D is a good date but my searching tells me that 1950 Philly coins with 9.8 million struck is a better issue to chase in higher, well struck grades than its Denver counterpart. try finding a nice Full Step coin dated 1950 and it'll be a long search.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked through a lot of rolls of nickels ... never found a 50-D or a 39-D.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinshowman said:
    I found a 50D in change 10 or so years ago. Probably my biggest numismatic thrill. Still hoping to find a 39D one of these days.

Same for me. If I can find my little note book, it will tell me the exact day I found the 50D. Still remember turning it over and seeing the little "D" on the reverse. The 1939-D is the only one I never found.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I never did find a 1950-D Nickel in circulation. I did find all of the other ones.

I never found 50-D or 39-D.
    Found all the others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file