Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A new variety?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2020 11:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's, while, I was at the previous Tinley show in illinois, I came across a slabbed (NGC) 1943 jefferson. I was trying to find on the date where the 3 in 1943 had the famous 2 behind it. You know the 1943/2 variety. It sure looked like it most certainly did! But, here's my question. It was the 1943d. The famous variety is the P. From Philadelphia not Denver. I tried looking it up, could not find anything. Have you guys ever here of such a variety. Also, the seller was selling it for $90. For the grade in the books that coin only goes for half of what he was selling it for. I was thinking the seller had the same notion as I did? Can anyone help me? Thanks. If it is something, the same show comes back at the same location in less than 2 weeks. I remembered what booth. Thanks guys!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a student of overdates. I even discovered one myself - thank me very much, LOL.

Two things became apparent in the hunt.

1. When a coin in any denomination has an overdate, other coins of the same date but a different denomination MAY also exist.

2. When a coin in any denomination has an overdate. Overdates of the same date and denomination MAY exist from other Mints.

You probably should have bought the coin. :(

• Options
    edited February 17, 2020 11:36AM

@Insider2 said:
    I'm a student of overdates. I even discovered one myself - thank me very much, LOL.

Two things became apparent in the hunt.

1. When a coin in any denomination has an overdate, other coins of the same date but a different denomination MAY also exist.

2. When a coin in any denomination has an overdate. Overdates of the same date and denomination MAY exist from other Mints.

You probably should have bought the coin. :(

Thank you for you're info. Yeah, you're probably right? Like I said, In less than 2 weeks, the same show comes back. I do remember which booth I seen it. I'll try going back then. Hopefully he'll still have it? Do you think $90 is worth it? I think it was a 64 ms? Sure, I'll try to cut his price down a tad. Thanks :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 11:41AM

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guy's, while, I was at the previous Tinley show in illinois, I came across a slabbed (NGC) 1943 jefferson. I was trying to find on the date where the 3 in 1943 had the famous 2 behind it. You know the 1943/2 variety. It sure looked like it most certainly did! But, here's my question. It was the 1943d. The famous variety is the P. From Philadelphia not Denver. I tried looking it up, could not find anything. Have you guys ever here of such a variety. Also, the seller was selling it for $90. For the grade in the books that coin only goes for half of what he was selling it for. I was thinking the seller had the same notion as I did? Can anyone help me? Thanks. If it is something, the same show comes back at the same location in less than 2 weeks. I remembered what booth. Thanks guys!

Could be a huge discovery!

I will throw $10 at ya for 10%... lol

Nothing worse than seeing something and having to walk away and sneak a peek at a CPG guide in the book dealer case.

:s

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

I hope I don't end up doing this;

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably a die chip. You see incorrectly attributed 43/42 coins all the time because there's a die chip in the "3".

• Options

Oh, really? Then maybe it's not worth buying? :*

• Options
    edited February 17, 2020 2:23PM

Come to think of it, wouldn't most consider this a die chip?

Makes you go Hm-m-m-m? :*

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Come to think of it, wouldn't most consider this a die chip?

Makes you go Hm-m-m-m? :*

No, more like a gouge or part of a 2 not removed by die repair?

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never EVER pass on a coin thinking it will still be there in 2 weeks.!! NEVER EVER! During that 2 weeks I may sneak in there and buy it. :o;)B)>:)o:)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Never EVER pass on a coin thinking it will still be there in 2 weeks.!! NEVER EVER! During that 2 weeks I may sneak in there and buy it. :o;)B)>:)o:)

I always think, what is meant is meant, right?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I always think, what is meant is meant, right?

True, but in that moment in time you were in control. You could have bought it. Now you are not. Just saying.....I would have snapped it up. I hope it is still there for you.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck finding it next time @joeykoins....If you get it, be sure to post a good picture here...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    I hope I don't end up doing this;

If you pay a fair price for the coin as a non-variety what are you risking a few bucks when you sell it back to the dealer?

• Options
    edited February 17, 2020 3:24PM

Well like I posted earlier, the seller must be considering this coin to be a variety with his selling price, $90 for a coin that really is a common coin? This is the main reason that I'm thinking the pricey coin will still be there. :)

• Options

I'm thinking maybe if the coin is there in 10 days, I'll send a photo to you guy's straight from the coin show? Then maybe you can advice me if I should pull the trigger or not? :*

• Options
    edited February 17, 2020 6:18PM

If someone came to my table and asked to take a picture of a coin in my case I'd say sure. I'd take a velvet pad out and adjust the lights to help him take the best image. After he left the table, I would put a lower price on it and a sign:

ON HOLD - NOT FOR SALE >:)

I'm told that my brother was an only child.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    If someone came to my table and asked to take a picture of a coin in my case I'd say sure. I'd take a velvet pad out and adjust the lights to help him take the best image. After he left the table, I would put a lower price on it and a sign:

ON HOLD - NOT FOR SALE >:)

I'm told that my brother was an only child.

Are you saying. "NOT COOL"? :*

• Options

Not at all. I hope it is there, you post an image, the coin is special, and you get it! I posted what I'd do to a collector if I were a dealer. I've gone back to buy something many times and missed out. I suspect that on a few occasions the dealer just put it back and said it was sold. I'll bet certain folks sniffing around a particular coin raises a red flag. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file