Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Canadian 5 cents. What % deduction in the $ of the coin should be made if the coin is cleaned?

TheBlackKnightTheBlackKnight Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2020 11:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

If a coin grades F-12 and is worth $100.00, what deduction should be made in the value if the coin is cleaned?
Should the value be adjusted to the VG value, the G value, or something else?

The impossible just takes longer.

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details coins are funny. There was a time when the best you could do is melt/scrap/nominal value (extremely rare coins excluded). Now I see details coins in holders all over the place.

Bottom line is, what its value is to YOU, and can you live with the details that make it a details coin.

Keep in mind that, unless it's a rare coin, it will be a hard sell when you want to upgrade.

Cheers

Bob

P.S. What's the coin?

• Options

Ok here are the details.
    1921 Canadian 5 cents Fine details harshly cleaned.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 11:05AM

I've passed on a certain item in the past because it was obviously cleaned. I regret not buying it to this day! So, it is your decision what it is worth to you alone.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheBlackKnight said:
    Ok here are the details.

That is a very rare coin. I'll pay $100 for a real one. ;)

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harshly cleaned...walk away. In the end, you probably won't be happy.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    Harshly cleaned...walk away. In the end, you probably won't be happy.

There's only 400-ish known of that coin.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2020 12:41PM

@TheBlackKnight said:
    Ok here are the details.

It is still hard to say without knowing just how harshly cleaned. If it is covered in hairlines, you are probably still at over a thousand bucks. If it is just rubbed white, probably 2000 to 3000. Very hard coin to find even as just a hole filler.

But the implications of what others have said matters. If you are buying it, you have to be willing to tolerate the defect or it simply isn't worth it. For example, I don't mind a cleaned coin without hairlines but I hate a coin with multiple hairlines. I also can't stand a coin with a hole whether filled or not.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say,due to the rarity it should sell for 50-60% of a problem free coin. If lightly cleaned I would say 90%. One of about a dozen Canadian Coins I lacked from Completing the Country from 1858-around 1990.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TheBlackKnight said:
    If a coin grades F-12 and is worth $100.00, what deduction should be made in the value if the coin is cleaned?
    Should the value be adjusted to the VG value, the G value, or something else?

There is no single answer to this. Lightly cleaned? Harshly cleaned? The answer could run from 95% deduction to 10% deduction.

Also, is it an old cleaning that's toned over or is it a recent cleaning where the hairlines are bright and shiny.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 12:47PM

A problem coin dealer would be somewhere between his cost and retail. So if retail 100 his cost 30 his sell possibly 65 leaving room for him come down to 50.

Had one setup next to me once. Said his goal get somewhere between cost and retail on them.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    A problem coin dealer would be somewhere between his cost and retail. So if retail 100 his cost 30 his sell possibly 65.

Had one setup next to me once. Said his goal get somewhere between cost and retail on them.

Full retail? That really isn't helpful at all. So, if I pay 95% of problem-free retail, I should just wait to get 97%?

I'm sure that formula makes sense AFTER you've bought it. It is, however, of zero use in trying to decide what to pay for it. It comes under the category of DUH! I mean, I paid $30 for a coin that if it wasn't cleaned would sell for $100. Of course I want more than $30, that's what I paid. And, of course I don't expect to get over $100 because that would be over retail for a problem coin.

• Options
  • Options

Still a very rare coin.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Why do I want the coin in the first place?
    A) To resell at a later date and hope to make a profit.
    B) To add to my collection and help complete a set.
    C) Bla bla bla..
    I think if you Answer the question and get the truth out of yourself, then you should know if you want to buy it or not.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait for a better one to come along. Thats just me

• Options

Obverse scratches are the worst of it. Gotta be $1500 at least nonetheless.

• Options

That coin should be labeled as scratched...not Harshly Cleaned!

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

What is the possibility you will ever get a chance to get this in any grade? If never and you want that date pay what you can afford and still be satisfied with buying it, otherwise walk away and find something else that you have been on the hunt for.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2020 3:12PM

The coin IS NOT [IMHO] HARSHLY CLEANED by my definition. It has major scratches on the obverse.

PS I see amwldcoin already posted this FACT. I should have read the thread before posting. :(

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I detect cleaning - any cleaning - on a coin I am considering, I walk away.....I would never be happy with such a purchase. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 18, 2020 10:21AM

@ricko said:
    If I detect cleaning - any cleaning - on a coin I am considering, I walk away.....I would never be happy with such a purchase. Cheers, RickO

Some coins are altered so well that most would not know. Some cleaning is market acceptable according to the ANA Grading Guide and the major TPGS. Nevertheless, I understand your point and agree with your personal standards. Fortunately, I will buy an improperly cleaned coin on occasion. The key is to know the coin is cleaned and then to decide if it is "market acceptable."

Scratches are considered to be damage and not evidence of improper cleaning.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I carry no problem coin, I do not buy problem coins.

Problem coins are someone else's problem, why on earth would you want to turn someone else's problem into your own.

• Options

What if the Smithsonian was selling the 1849 Twenty and you wanted 1. It's the only 1 and I hear it's been scrubbed to death!

@ricko said:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin ....Not a decision I would have to make, since I am sure I could not afford it. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

With a survival of about 450 pieces, I would have no problem buying that 1921 5c if the price was right.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I carry no problem coin, I do not buy problem coins.

Problem coins are someone else's problem, why on earth would you want to turn someone else's problem into your own.

There is quite a vibrant market in problem coins--sometimes they will sell easier than their pristine gem counterparts.
    Problem coins will sell easily if bought right, and as a buyer, you just have to have experience and a feel for what the coin will bring.
    Problem error coins would indeed, I think, be a really tough sell which may be why you avoid them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file