Home U.S. Coin Forum

Washing Machine Coins are Not Error Coins

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2020 10:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

In a previous post, I mistakenly called these dryer coins because my wife first found these in a dryer. The very first time she found one, she mistakenly thought it was one of my error coins :D

After finding more than 20 of these we since learned that these come out the washing machine.

I see one or more of this type of damaged coin posted on eBay every single day. Those washing machines sure are pumping out these PMD coins.

For fun, I seeded the washing Machine with a cull Indian head cent. The other three coins showed up on there own.

Comments

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭

A difficult assessment to make for sure but newer machines operate differently and change directions constantly during the wash cycle. The damage shown likely happens during the rinse/spin cycle. Wonder if they would holder these as 'spin details' :*

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    ...Wonder if they would holder these as 'spin details'..

Maybe "Washer Effect" sort of like "Shipwreck Effect". They'll make a fortune.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭

Not a fan of zincolns in general, but that one is pretty cool...

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually have found 3 or 4 of those " washing machine coins " I feel better now ... cent rolls. ;)

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever find Silver in these washers/dryers? :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might start throwing in some older lincolns into the wash - I like the idea of copper infused clothing

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but where do my socks go?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean if I made an error letting them sneak into the washer, they're NOT errors?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got grandkids so my coins never make it to our laundry room. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were an 'error' just not by the mint.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like there's one dead center between the two middle arrows.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That must be a top loader machine..... I have a front loader, only found two coins - my wife forgets to empty her pockets... ;) In a front loader, it seems they just stay in the barrel...Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

You learn something new every day on this forum!

All glory is fleeting.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is such a thing as a dryer coin. Years ago, I had a repairman replace the belt on my dryer drum and he gave me 5 or 6 well-worn coins, worn almost slick. They didn't have any contact marks and they were quite beautiful. I don't know what ever became of them, but I wish I'd saved them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • TroyWTroyW Posts: 42 ✭✭

So that is where all my loose change goes...

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    In a previous post, I mistakenly called these dryer coins because my wife first found these in a dryer. The very first time she found one, she mistakenly thought it was one of my error coins :D

After finding more than 20 of these we since learned that these come out the washing machine.

I see one or more of this type of damaged coin posted on eBay every single day. Those washing machines sure are pumping out these PMD coins.

For fun, I seeded the washing Machine with a cull Indian head cent. The other three coins showed up on there own.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file