Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Die Progression from the VAMWorld website

I am not a VAM expert or a VAM collector, but when I do get a Morgan with obvious die markers, I enjoy looking in VAMWorld to see if I can identify it.

I could see that this 1882CC graded by our host as MS65+ (VAM not identified on the label) had an obvious reverse die clash from the auction photos so I thought it was a VAM3B. (The obverse toning is a little mottled for my tastes, but I thought it was interesting for the clash marks and the price was right). With the coin in hand I found it was a late die state VAM 3D.

The great researchers at VAMWorld have identified the die clash progression by VAMs 3A to 3D.
Per VAMWorld:
“1882-CC VAM-3A Doubled Date & Ear, Clashed Obverse n
1882-CC VAM-3B Doubled Date & Ear, Clashed Obverse n & s
1882-CC VAM-3C Doubled Date & Ear, Clashed Obverse n & s, Die Break Cap
1882-CC VAM-3D Doubled Date & Ear, Clashed Obverse n & s, Die Break Cap & Liberty Band
3D III2 3 · C3a (Doubled Date & Ear, Clashed Obverse n & s, Die Break Cap & Liberty Band) (178) I-3 R-7
Obverse III2 3–Very late die state with crack continuing from Phrygian cap thru wheat leaves to field in front of LIBERTY where there is a displaced field break in front of the LIBERTY band.
Comments:
1. Previous die state is VAM-3C
2. Later die states show die chips along the crack through E•P.
3. This coin has proven to be far more common than the initial R-7 estimate would indicate.”

The PCGS Gold Shield photo does not show all the details of the clashes and die break, but the two photos from the VAMWorld site show them very well. My coin has them all including the die cracks the over the cap and by Liberty. Plus, all the clash marks, including under the nose, at the lips and chin, etc.

This VAM does not make this is a valuable coin but learning a little more about the history of a coin I have in my possession offers extra enjoyment for me as a coin collector!

Always trying to learn more
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep flirting with the idea of checking my Morgans for VAM's... My CC collection and others I have... What worries me is, I will become 'addicted' to this facet of coin collecting... and I do not need that... too many other interests...many of which keep me off my butt and active. At my age, that is important... ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file