Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1980 TOPPS Baseball ERROR or VARIATION?! HELP!!!!

coindude88coindude88 Posts: 28
edited February 13, 2020 3:09AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Found this error today. It's different than the base Ken Forsch #642.......the white clouds to the right of his left arm are scribbled and not like the normal card?

Any thoughts!?

Normal vs white cloud scribble variation?

Comments

  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

    I love seeing these errors or irregularities or whatever you want to call them. Fun stuff!

  • @VintagemanEd said:
    I love seeing these errors or irregularities or whatever you want to call them. Fun stuff!

    Have you ever heard of this error at all? Topps obviously changed the card to the scribble cloud at some point and I cannot find one single picture of another one.....sooooo I'm hoping this is rare.

  • olb31olb31 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

    Looks like a print mark.

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

    Borrowed from another thread but these are other examples of other ink blob variations. These are all just basically one-off print defects, though it is possible for there to be more than one (or at least several cards that are nearly identical).

    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • What card # is Forsch? I will look at my sets

  • @VintagemanEd said:
    What card # is Forsch? I will look at my sets

    642.

  • 1963ellsworth22and101963ellsworth22and10 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited February 13, 2020 7:57PM


  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

    trading card database does not include it in the Errors/Variations:

    https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Errors.cfm/sid/82/1980-Topps

  • TiborTibor Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @EchoCanyon Thanks for the link. Haven't seen it before.

  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

    Are these pictures of the same card or two different examples?

    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • @saucywombat said:

    Are these pictures of the same card or two different examples?

    Different cards, the ink blob is recurring on the 1971 Reberger and isn't difficult to find. I have several of them and quit looking for them when I realized they weren't overly rare. I just posted these two that are currently on eBay and COMC to show the same type of print error as the 1980 Ken Forsch, which is in my opinion not a variation.

  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2020 1:57PM

    @1963ellsworth22and10 said:

    @saucywombat said:

    Are these pictures of the same card or two different examples?

    Different cards, the ink blob is recurring on the 1971 Reberger and isn't difficult to find. I have several of them and quit looking for them when I realized they weren't overly rare. I just posted these two that are currently on eBay and COMC to show the same type of print error as the 1980 Ken Forsch, which is in my opinion not a variation.

    I would consider it a "variation" of the card but not an "error". There is a pretty good discussion on this inside the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF thread but essentially that true "error" cards are defined by the mistake or issue being intentionally corrected by the card co. Hence there are truly two versions (or more) of the card that was printed by the company. These are also generally more recognized and valued within the hobby than "variations", which are just unintended and uncorrected characteristics (e.g. printing error) of the same card. Though some "variations" have achieved significant notoriety and value within the hobby (1990 Topps Frank Thomas or 1958 Topps Pancho Herrera being the best examples).

    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • I say throw it on eBay and ask a crazy amount for it with a best offer. You should make some descent coin for it.

  • dan89dan89 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

    It’s a print mark

  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭

    Not an expert in errors of cards on the collectors side, But...
    I am a 45 year pressman and yes printing all types of cards.

    Looks like a hicky.
    Dont laugh but thats what we call that.

    • A speck of dust fell onto the plate in motion seems to be the Cyan unit as that will follow the unit with that color is in question. Its very hard to pick out on a 40 inch sheet, running 15,000 shts per hr.

    B)

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @emeraldATV said:
    Not an expert in errors of cards on the collectors side, But...
    I am a 45 year pressman and yes printing all types of cards.

    Looks like a hicky.
    Dont laugh but thats what we call that.

    • A speck of dust fell onto the plate in motion seems to be the Cyan unit as that will follow the unit with that color is in question. Its very hard to pick out on a 40 inch sheet, running 15,000 shts per hr.

    Thanks for posting!

    I worked in a factory that did printing on a large scale as well as silkscreening. It's good to have people here that have an understanding of the process.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
Sign In or Register to comment.