Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Since someone asked...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2020 10:46AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I received the result back on the attempted crossover of 1955 SGC-96 Hank Aaron. It received a minimum grade requirement...I had a minimum grade of 9 on it. THE GRIM REAPER VOICED HIS OPINION...
No more $1000 attempts with PSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am glad that it is still encapsulated in the SGC holder.

The '63 SGC-92 Berra and '69 SGC-96 Bench have not been processed yet. I have minimum grade of 8.5 on the Berra and 9 on the Bench. Please...no more minimum grade requirements.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry that it did not cross for you. It is a nice card. I think the other two will cross and I actually think the Berra has an outside shot at a bump. Good luck!

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    .....No more $1000 attempts with PSA........

Is that what they charged you for that one review?

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 12:45PM

@nam812 said:

@mintonlypls said:
    .....No more $1000 attempts with PSA........

Is that what they charged you for that one review?

Yes! What a rip off...

I say rip off because I priced it out as a psa-9 ($12500)...but PSA says it isn't a 9. Let's say it is a psa-8.5 (most likely) $7500. That lowers the grading cost in half from $1000 to $500. If they grade a card higher than you estimated...they will call for more money. It should work the other way too...call and not charge as much!

mint_only_pls
    edited February 12, 2020 12:49PM

Ouch...w/o a doubt!

mint_only_pls
  • GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

So you were concerned if you only insured at $500 that would have hurt your chances at the cross?

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Another poster mentioned that cards in SGC holders are “punished” in the PSA crossover process. I truly think that is the case, as I believe there is a natural human bias against brands and products that we think are inferior. But then again, that bias also comes into play when we process the cost/reward of trying to get a crossover into a PSA holder. It’s so difficult to simply accept a beautiful item, as is, without considering the TPG.

• Can you post a photo? Since it is still in the SGC holder, it would be interesting to see what made it less than a 9, without even cracking it.

edited February 12, 2020 1:32PM

delete

mint_only_pls

mint_only_pls
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

If you look in VCP there are 4 sales recorded over the years for that exact card. There has always been a huge incentive to cross such a card over to a PSA holder and this was not the card’s first trip to California. Knowing the history on sales of the card and previous owners it no chance of crossing over. As you know it’s not an issue free card and the main issue is easy to see. That is why nobody has popped it out, or losing whatever the going rate is for a crossover attempt will be the least of their problem. Enjoy the card in the current holder or pass it on to the next player.

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@KbKards said:
    If you look in VCP there are 4 sales recorded over the years for that exact card. There has always been a huge incentive to cross such a card over to a PSA holder and this was not the card’s first trip to California. Knowing the history on sales of the card and previous owners it no chance of crossing over. As you know it’s not an issue free card and the main issue is easy to see. That is why nobody has popped it out, or losing whatever the going rate is for a crossover attempt will be the least of their problem. Enjoy the card in the current holder or pass it on to the next player.

There you go...that says it all. End of discussion (sarcastically).

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Wait. It cost 1000 dollars to review the one card ? 1000 dollars, just like that.

@KbKards said:

@KbKards said:

@KbKards said:

@KbKards said:

@KbKards said:

@KbKards said:

mint_only_pls
    edited February 12, 2020 3:30PM

What do u see as the issue with the card? It measures correctly and did not come back altered or trimmed. Sorry...but I don’t see a big issue with the card...it passed the PSA test. The only question is what is the PSA grade. 8.5?

mint_only_pls
  • sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

It is always a gamble trying to cross over high valued cards to PSA. Would you have been happy with an 8.5 grade? I would say you were willing to take the $1000 gamble for the possibility of a huge increase in value. Not a clue what you have into the card but it had to have been worth trying for a PSA holder. At least the other two cards will only cost you $75 each. I think KbCards needs to clue us into his insight.

It may be the scan, but the top left corner seems like the reason to me.

I have now $5400 into the card...I would be happy with an 8.5 just thought it had a good shot at a 9. The card has good eye appeal...

mint_only_pls
  • Is there something on the bottom border, between the "A" and the "R?" Even with that, it is a beautiful card.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know who KBKards is but he in my opinion is the most knowledgeable poster in the ten years I have been here.

I don’t think his comment was based out of sarcasm and when he makes a post I honestly assume he is right.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Card looks stunning. Crossovers......I have no idea really. I never see expensive cards cross.

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 9:40PM

For 1000 Bucks it would be nice if they at least told you why it didn't make the grade.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 10:59PM

Pop it out and it may cross.
    I tried an SGC 86 Campanella ('52) and an SGC 86 Jackie Robinson ('53) in the holder. Neither crossed to 7.5. It was my first and last time I will try that in a holder.
    I cracked them out and tried again with a handful of other crackouts about a year later.
    The Campy graded 7.5 and the Robinson shocked me coming back an 8. These stories are true and quite common. Occasionally a card will shock you the other way, too.
    There is a very strong bias against the holder. Gods honest truth is...it's quite likely it wasn't even looked at.
    That Aaron is a jaw-dropping stunning mid-50's artifact. It's obviously superior to most copies and APPEARS (it's a scan and on my phone, soooo...I reserve the right to backpedal here) to be pack fresh and within their applied standards of "Mint 9". I have "Mint 9" '55s in PSA holders that have visible corner touches, for the record.
    Here's the real thing...
    I'm just scratching my head at why on earth you paid 1k to have some geek just pass over it with no concrete explanation or even evidence it was even looked at.
    1k buys a pretty nice late 60's Aaron!
    This is astounding to me. If you didn't do so willingly, it seems criminal.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• @mintonlypls said:

Again, it's on my phone but...that screams Mint 9.
    I like how you get asked "is there something on the border between the A and the R...."
    Guys are just trying to help...but that's not helpful--just irritating.
    I can, literally, find SOMETHING "wrong" with every card made before 1970.
    PSA puts cards with ridiculous flaws in 9 holders every day.
    You were, apparently, robbed...unless that reverse is like 90/10?

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is risk/reward in trying to crossover high value cards, just the nature of it all. Cracking it out and submitting it is even a higher risk, so at least it hasn't dropped in "value" by being a lesser grade. If it did crossover you would think that it is the best $1000 you have ever spent. Very nice card, enjoy it in the current holder!

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading this I will never submit a crossover unless I crack it out first.

@pab1969 said:
    After reading this I will never submit a crossover unless I crack it out first.

That is really what needs to be done to get a fair appraisal.

Just make that before it's cracked out and sent to PSA raw that you can live with PSA's possible opinion being that it has been trimmed.

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

The card is stunning. I never understood the desire to remove a card from an SGC holder. Enjoy it as is.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

@MikeyP said:
    ........I never understood the desire to remove a card from an SGC holder............

I'm sure some do it for consistency in their collection, but I believe that the majority do it for the higher realized price if/when it comes time to sell.

I measured the card at several points using a 1/100 ruler and it measured correctly with each measurement I took, it isn’t trimmed or altered or minimum size requirement. Just minimum grade requirement for a 9. What grade level will PsA encapsulate is anyone’s guess? I’m hoping psa-8.5...it’s that nice. And has already checked the boxes
    For no trim
    For no alteration
    For no minimum sizevrequirement

I think the black print mark in bottom white border hurt as well as a very minor touch to bottom left cornering back . Other than that the card is problem-free.

mint_only_pls
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeyP said:
    The card is stunning. I never understood the desire to remove a card from an SGC holder. Enjoy it as is.

Profit motive.

@mintonlypls said:
    I measured the card at several points using a 1/100 ruler and it measured correctly with each measurement I took, it isn’t trimmed or altered or minimum size requirement. Just minimum grade requirement for a 9. What grade level will PsA encapsulate is anyone’s guess? I’m hoping psa-8.5...it’s that nice. And has already checked the boxes
    For no trim
    For no alteration

I think the black print mark in bottom white border hurt as well as a very minor touch to bottom left cornering back . Other than that the card is problem-free.

If you believe those things, and there's no reason to think that you don't believe them since you typed them here for all to see, then what prevented you from submitting it raw? Possible damage during the crackout?

There is no doubt that a PSA-9 sells for more money than an SGC-96. So...there is a financial motive to crossover.

mint_only_pls

There is always a risk of damage to remove a card from encapsulation. Definitely...a deterrent.

mint_only_pls
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm terrified to even attempt a crack out, one little slip and that's all she wrote. No thanks.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PSA 9 on Heritage is at $7,750 right now before BP. 10+ days to go.

It is a card to be proud of. Great Aaron regardless of holder. The bright colors make it really pop. The card does not change if it is in an SGC 96, PSA ? or in its raw state - it will still pop based on color and registration. The resale value changes but your enjoyment from looking at it and having it as part of your collection should not. I am sure you are disappointed that it did not cross but I doubt you regret buying that card.

Thanks Brad! Everything you say is true.

I plan to have it reholdered in the new SGC holders along with my sgc-92 '56 Mantle and sgc-92 '63 Pete Rose.

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm terrified to even attempt a crack out, one little slip and that's all she wrote. No thanks.

Practice your technique on a bunch of worthless holders first. Then when you have perfected the art of the crack you can attempt with confidence.

• @BuckHunter68 said:

@mintonlypls said:

Again, it's on my phone but...that screams Mint 9.
    I like how you get asked "is there something on the border between the A and the R...."
    Guys are just trying to help...but that's not helpful--just irritating.
    I can, literally, find SOMETHING "wrong" with every card made before 1970.
    PSA puts cards with ridiculous flaws in 9 holders every day.
    You were, apparently, robbed...unless that reverse is like 90/10?

I asked the question, because it might be a mark on the holder. If i was grading an expensive card like that, I would be hesitant to overlook a mark like that. I know if I am shelling out the money for a PSA 9 Aaron, and I am choosing between 2, I would probably choose the one without the mark.

edited February 13, 2020 12:49PM

@UFFDAH said:
    The PSA 9 on Heritage is at $7,750 right now before BP. 10+ days to go.

The Heritage PSA-9 '55 Aaron has a tilt from right to left along bottom border...I like mine better (biased or not).

mint_only_pls
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    For no trim
    For no alteration

The black print mark isn’t just a mark. It’s a scratch/line that also affects the red box. Handling marks can occur in that area but no other SGC or PSA 9’s pictured in VCP exhibit any marking in that area. The best images front and back of the card can be found on the enlarged scans on VCP in Greg Bussineau’s 2nd sale of the card in December of 2013. When you posted the image in the older thread asking for opinions the series of multiple railroad track print scrape/smear lines on the back top left corner was pointed out. These are seen clearer in the Bussineau scan on VCP and would be apparent in hand. Another thing visible on the back is a couple spots of wax in the center on the left portion of the light green cartoon background box. On both of his scans the corners and edges can be better assessed for any possible issue there. While it’s a great looking card it’s far from issue free and all those little things are what you and the grader will see when viewing the card in hand. Without the front and back marks some of the previous owners/dealers might have considered popping it out. There’s no telling how many times it’s been submitted for crossover by previous owners but everyone knew better than to pop it out. A small difference in opinion equates to a lot of money and the best home for the card is in a fresh new SGC 96 holder.

KbKards…

Thanks for your insight. It is much appreciated and I plan to have it reholdered in a new SGC holder.

Monte

mint_only_pls
    edited February 13, 2020 2:30PM

I see the black print line on the bottom white border but having the card in hand using a loop I don't see it extending into the red nameplate. I also notice the small railroad track light ink smear pattern on back in the upper left corner...but I do not see any wax on the back. What I do see are small marks on the holder in that area you mentioned. The lower left corner does show very minor wear on back...but this same corner is sharp on front. The remaining three corners are sharp front and back. The right edge has a very slight rough cut.

I am being very honest and very critical about the card...and as KbKards said it is a great looking card and I am very happy to have it in my collection. Onto a new SGC holder...for this beauty!

mint_only_pls
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Thanks Brad! Everything you say is true.

I plan to have it reholdered in the new SGC holders along with my sgc-92 '56 Mantle and sgc-92 '63 Pete Rose.

Monte

Monte - sorry to hear about the no bump extra fee. Loved that 55 Aaron and remembered how the color in person just drips off the card. I like your idea of putting it in the new SGC holder. Did not like them at first but after buying a Mantle in an SGC holder I love how they look and feel.

KC

I would not even re-holder it. It looks fantastic. Last card I had re-holdred I had to be compensated as the card was a gorgeous 7 and returned to me creased. It was a High Grade Mantle. SGC was not the grading company.

Mintonlypls,

How did the other cross-overs do?? Those were some nice cards.

Mickey/Danny

edited March 17, 2020 5:28PM

Danny...

Both the '69 Bench and '63 Berra also did not meet minimum grade requirements...9 for the Bench and 8.5 for the Berra. : (
    I am very disappointed with the results and will not submit to PSA my '56 Mantle (SGC-92) or '63 Rose (SGC-92) for crossover. Instead...I will submit to SGC for the new SGC holders. Here are the two cards.

On the '63 cello pack (GAI-7)...I probably will not have info back on until late Spring/early Summer.

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monty, that is a bummer on the 69 Bench. That is a great looking card and I have seen plenty of PSA 9's they don't look as good.

Very disappointing - think the cards merited the cross. I think they were both beautiful cards as are your Rose and Mantle. I would snap up that Berra in a heartbeat!